whats your longest losing streak?? i keep losing.

• ilovemagic
      ilovemagic
      Bronze
      my problem is this:

over the last few days my play has been quite terrible, admittedly due to mostly bad play which has led to loss of my initial 50 dollar bankroll, another deposit of 50 dollars and a 30 dollar deposit on 888 poker. this was lost over the course of 2 months, but my most recent losses coming due do several hands where im supposed to win 70 percent of the time preflop and even better odds postflop, but people keep calling my agressive bets and hitting their 20%ers either on the turn where a lot is already invested, or river, when most of the money is already in the pot. because of my agressive style i like to play against people who favour flush and str8 draws, because i give them rediculously bad odds to call and win the hand,,,yet my play has left me bankroll at $0...and me wondering what i should do next. last night i had only a small enough amount of pocket pairs to count on 1 hand. AA 2 times, lost both times, each pot vs 1 player, KK 2 times, 1 time was a 3 way pre flop all in lost on the river to a guy with 8-5 , another got absolutely no action. my final blunder was with QQ, where i raised big preflop, got a caller, flop came rainbow and a) gutshot str8 draw, i bet 3/4 and he called. next card filled a str8 (if he had it) but there was also a jack on board and i thought he had that so i went all in and he called instantly, showing the nut str8 and i wondered why players call such big bets pre and on the flop with like 9 high. today in the tourney i was in i got caught up against a very loose agressive chip leader, and i was 2nd in chips on the table. it was early and i already had a read on him. he raised every hand so i reraised with Q-10 in position and he called. the flop i hit my 10 and there was nothing scary of note. he led out and i called, planning to reraise on the turn if a big ace or king didnt hit. the turn was a 3 and i reraised his bet 2.5x what he bet. he insta called and hit his inside str8 draw on the river, bet all in, i called thinking i had the nuts because of the way he played the hand, and every other hand. i am commiting like 40% of my stack on the turn and he is calling with an inside str8 draw,.....wtf. and what gets me is thta people are hitting these 10-20 percenters...........i lost with every big pocket pair in the last 24 hrs and in the only tourney i play in i get a stack worked up only to be smashed by a 4 outer, getting 40% of my chips in before he hits and showing him im strong and mean business.....im mad yes, know i need to improve to become a winning player....but am wondering how i am supposed to become a winning player when i go all in and am a big favourite to win the hand and lose on the river everytime to either 2 pair, flush or str8. like how am i supposed to win when its 70/30 when we get the money in,,,,,but i lose .....everytime....its flabbergasting. i proceed to go on tilt and lose the rest of my money....a man can only take so much especially a rookie being told these hands like AA KK and QQ are great to go all in with but i am constantly going all in and losing with these hands....explain this to me as variance....or something i cannot explain.,.....i thought i was good enough to at least beat the micros but clearly i am not even good enough to beat the 8-5 offsuit with KK.....give me a break
  • 23 replies
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      wall alert :f_eek:
    • ItsTeddyKGB
      ItsTeddyKGB
      Bronze
    • ilovemagic
      ilovemagic
      Bronze
      whats that supposed to mean you 2???? nvm i figured it out....its clumped up in a big ball of verbal diarrhea
    • eteris
      eteris
      Bronze
      Originally posted by ilovemagic
      whats that supposed to mean you 2????
      that suppose to mean that no one will read your wall of text.
    • roopopper
      roopopper
      Bronze
      its a pretty big wall of text! but in answer to your question in the title

I dont know as I have not stopped losing yet :)
      but hopefully it will only last for no more than another month which will round things off to one year :)
    • Justin37
      Justin37
      Bronze
      stop reading at 3rd lines, my eyes getting dizzy...
    • Wriggers
      Wriggers
      Bronze
      I didn't read all of that as it made my eyes scream in despair... So i'm not too sure if this will answer your question.

Theoretically if you are playing well you can still keep running bad for an undetermined amount of time. The odds of consistently running bad decrease as the amount of time gets longer. E.g. The odds for running bad your entire life are incredibly small, the odds of you running bad for 10k hands are much higher.

You just have to keep faith in the maths of it that eventually, over the long run, the numbers will even out. However the cards have no memory, so if you had a bad downswing for the last 2 months and now things have started turning around, it certainly doesn't mean you won't experience bad variance tomorrow.
    • Mopenza
      Mopenza
      Bronze
      I lost 27BI at NL10 SH for 50k hands, variance can be sick, but ofc u must analyze your stats to improve, and maybe fine dome major leaks.
    • Tarhonya
      Tarhonya
      Bronze
      I think should sacrifice someone from the community who will read the whole wall and tell us what's it about in 1 line.
    • wazawanga
      wazawanga
      Bronze
      wall....
    • sausage646
      sausage646
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Mopenza
      I lost 27BI at NL10 SH for 50k hands, variance can be sick, but ofc u must analyze your stats to improve, and maybe fine dome major leaks.
      Is this even possible?? considering you play really good and don't get in high variance spots?
    • wazawanga
      wazawanga
      Bronze
      you have very big leaks in your game then , at that limit there are sooo many fish i don't think it;s possible to be loser over 50k hands of you are playing good
    • Mopenza
      Mopenza
      Bronze
      Originally posted by wazawanga
      you have very big leaks in your game then , at that limit there are sooo many fish i don't think it;s possible to be loser over 50k hands of you are playing good
      nah its just PokerStars my friend plays almost same stats on Ongame and are wining over 6bb/100 its just rly bad luck, the only leak I found was my low 3bet only 3% now its 5+% still a bit low but its oky I guess. I mean there is noting u can do if u keeps hitting your middle set on flop and are against top set all time. + u got stright on flop but some maniac call u with FD and owns u :) there is still some small leaks but not major. Eh not much more to say there. Maybe I am winning loser overall :) who know time will show it! soon moving to NL25 :)
    • Tarhonya
      Tarhonya
      Bronze
      I think swings are way overrated. At least on the micros.
      Now don't stab me for saying it, but I think players are just way too comfortable saying oh well, it's just a swing, nothing to do about it, when they are losing, when I believe the problem is more likely is in their game.

I'm not pointing fingers, and yes there are swings, but nowadays I believe it's way to common to blame it on the swings.

Thought?
    • mscondominator
      mscondominator
      Bronze
      I know its frustrating, but being emotional is not going to help..
      You say you go all in way ahead etc etc, and thats great, but you have to be able to control your bad beats and take it like a good poker player. You on tilt will lose you more money than your bad beats.
      keep ya cool :)
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Originally posted by ilovemagic
      my problem is this:
      To argue with you right off, your problem seems less about the cards than with your emotions.

but my most recent losses coming due do several hands where im supposed to win 70 percent of the time preflop and even better odds postflop, but people keep calling my agressive bets and hitting their 20%ers
      I understand. Over the last few days I lost 4 consecutive $11 Double-or-Nothings. 3 of them on the first or second hand I enterred. All 4 lost to AA or KK held by a limper. In the last game I won, I barely squeaked through after falling from 1st to 5th in two hands -- again faced AA both times. So it goes. Learn to love it, cuz if you try to fight it, it will beat you.

...my agressive style i like to play against people who favour flush and str8 draws, because i give them rediculously bad odds to call and win the hand,,,yet my play has left me bankroll at $0
      And so you continue to play this way? You are at the best site for learning to change and improve.

...and me wondering what i should do next.
      Take two days off and study.
      Find the article that talks about the 8 player types and how to take their money. From what is written below, you appear to be either a "LAG" or a "Maniac" If you are a true LAG, you will have a winning career, but your variance will be wild -- as you are beginning to find out. If you are a Maniac, then I love you and will take your money. Seriously, you will need to change your play if you are a Maniac.

Oh, yeah. Review all of your hands and post the big losers, and post the hands where you won, but had to suck out on somebody to get there. Listen to what the coaches say, and practice. And practice at a sensible limit.
      Sensible as in "I can afford to lose this"

i lost with every big pocket pair in the last 24 hrs and in the only tourney i play in i get a stack worked up only to be smashed by a 4 outer, getting 40% of my chips in before he hits and showing him im strong and mean business.....
      im mad yes, know i need to improve to become a winning player....but am wondering how i am supposed to become a winning player when i go all in and am a big favourite to win the hand and lose on the river everytime to either 2 pair, flush or str8. like
      You become a winning player by learning from your mistakes, and that means posting hands and study.

how am i supposed to win when its 70/30 when we get the money in,,,,,but i lose .....everytime....
      Well, the 300 hands 70/30 hands you just lost means that the next 700 should be pretty good. Math averages out. Each hand will still be 70/30, but over time it will average out. The trick is to have some money left to play the 700th hand

a man can only take so much especially a rookie being told these hands like AA KK and QQ are great to go all in with but i am constantly going all in and losing with these hands....explain this to me as variance....or something i cannot explain.,.....i thought i was good enough to at least beat the micros but clearly i am not even good enough to beat the 8-5 offsuit with KK.....give me a break
      Hate to argue again -- no I don't -- but a MAN would suck it up and laugh about it.

To see what I mean read "IF" by Rudyard Kipling
      Especially the lines that begin, "If you can make a heap of all your winnings..."

But if you are here on this site, and if you are able to win some of the time, and if you're willing to humble yourself and listen to coaches, you'll do fine.
      In the long run, not necessarily the short run.
    • purplefizz
      purplefizz
      Bronze
      hi ilovemagic,

my first advice would be to use paragraphs and spaces so that more people will be able to read your thread and help you. :D

secondly, bad beats are part of poker. if you say that the villain has 40% chance of winning the hand, or even 10% chance, he actually still has a chance to win there. (and that is more often than you might realize). only playing enough hands (like 50k or more) will give you a clue how you are really doing.

third, you are probably not following bankroll management which caused you to go broke more than once.

i would advice you to read the following articles:
      Cash game BRM
      Introduction to Tilt

threads like yours are not new or unexpected. it is the very nature of the game to lose even when you are 70% ahead. (it happens 30% of the time). i see them everyday, and it is nothing to worry about.
      i think this is what separates beginners who fail from those who are able to progress. those who are able to prevent themselves from tilting when the going is rough end up succeeding in the end.

good luck in your journey. there is plenty of fun ahead. :D

smiles,
      wendy

cliffs for everyone: basically, he talks about getting bad beats--> tilting--> busto-town
    • ilovemagic
      ilovemagic
      Bronze
      I really love this game too much to give up yet! the comments you all provided are worth more then my lost cash which stands at a lifetime total of $130 now.

I love you all like family for helping me out when I was just emotionally drained. I will spend the next few days studying the suggested areas and filling my leaks.

thank you all for taking time out of YOUR day to give freely!
    • Atoks
      Atoks
      Bronze
      I don't have a losing streak. I have a winning streak that gets briefly interrupted on rare occasions.