MP2:
      MP3:
      CO:
      BU:
      SB:
      Hero:

SnG-MTT $ 1.50 (9 Players)
      10/20 No-Limit Hold'em (9 Players)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy.com Elephant 0.98.40204.1 by www.pokerstrategy.com

Preflop: Hero is BB with A :spade: , K :club:
      UTG2 calls, UTG3 folds, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, MP3 calls, CO calls, BU folds, SB calls,
      Hero raises 1480 to 1500 ( (AI)), 4 fold, SB calls ( (AI)), Hero gets uncalled bet back

Flop: (3040) T :club: , 7 :diamond: , 6 :diamond: (2 Players)

Turn: (3040) 6 :club: (2 Players)

River: (3040) 6 :spade: (2 Players)

Final Pot: 3040

Results follow (Highlight to see):
      Hero shows three of a kind, sixes (As, Kc) --> (6d, 6c, 6s, As, Kc)
      SB shows a full house, sevens full of sixes (7s, 7c) --> (7d, 7s, 7c, 6c, 6s)

SB wins 3040 with a full house, sevens full of sixes (7s, 7c) --> (7d, 7s, 7c, 6c, 6s)

Too much to commit so early? Or just unlucky?
  • 5 replies
    • topolman
      topolman
      Gold
      Very bad shove. It was way too early.
      Raising to 200-250 seem good enough to make trash limpers fold. Then continue when you hit flop. You can try to cbet some flops against 1 opponent since you are out of position. AK in this stage is only worth playing post flop when you hit your TPTK. Especially on this $1.5 sng limit.
    • Fagin
      Fagin
      Bronze
      Ok, so if I read this right you pushed 1490 chips into an unraised pot to potentially win 120 chips in the very early stages of a tournament.

If it was a freeroll then fair enough as you will get called very light and may even be ahead some of the time.

In any other tourney the risk is too high for what you can potentially gain (IMHO). Any hand that calls you is ahead of you or chopping so you are risking your tourney life to win 120 chips.

I would make a reasonable raise to 120 - 150 and re-evaluate on the flop if I get called.

Just my opinion from my limited experience. I am sure others here will add their thoughts.

GL
    • Pilks7
      Pilks7
      Bronze
      Fair point. I figured a bet of 200 or 250 would get called by most players (as it is the donk-stakes). I also figured some suited AQ/KQ's might call a shove for the same reason. Didn't think anyone would have the heart to play 77 as it is at best a coinflip for them. But like I said, it is donk-stakes, so that logic should have followed for the last argument too, really.

Cheers for the input
    • Fagin
      Fagin
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Pilks7 like I said, it is donk-stakes, so that logic should have followed.
      Now you have me confused. It's the mention of Donk Stakes and Logic in the same sentence.
      I've been playing the Donk Stakes for quite a while now (about 3 years with my own money before I found PS and a couple since with a mixture of my own cash and the starting $50) with some very modest successes, and the 2 more "logical" reasons I have heard for plays down here are firstly "they were sooooted" and secondly "I'ts my favourite hand"

It's not so much that players don't think logically (well not all of them) it seems to be that they try to think like the pros they see on TV with the expected results.

I fully understand the shove. I would possibly have done the same a while ago, I have learnt to think hands out more and it has helped my game. Now I raise.

Cheers
    • philG4
      philG4
      Gold
      AT higher limits this would be very -EV but this isnt a terrible shove at the 1.50 SNG limit. the fact that at these stakes worse Ax hands (AQ AJ etc) will often call make this an ok shove IMO....