[NL2-NL10] NL2 FR - Set of twos

• numbnutter
      Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.01/$0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)

Known players:
      BU (Hero):

Preflop: Hero is BU with 2, 2.
      MP2 calls $0.02, MP3 calls $0.01, CO folds, Hero calls $0.02, SB folds, BB checks.

Flop: ($0.09) J, 2, 4 (4 players)
      BB bets $0.04, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, Hero raises to $0.14, BB calls $0.10.

Turn: ($0.37) 9 (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $0.27, BB calls $0.27.

River: ($0.91) 3 (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: $0.91.
      Results follow:

Hero shows three of a kind, twos(2 2).
      BB shows a pair of threes(3 5).

Hero wins with three of a kind, twos(2 2).

Firstly, should I be isolating preflop? My thinking was that higher PPs are well within villains limping range, but should I be using position to my advantage and cbetting almost any board?

Second, do I bet the river for value or was my check good here? If he's made the straight he has me beat, and if he hasn't he wont pay me anyway, but is he likely to pay me off with anything else? (Jx maybe)
  • 2 replies
    • cpers
      About isolating preflop imo is a good option especially when your opponent folds a lot on the flop.

You go heads-up against BB who goes for freeplay, so JJ, 99 probably aren't in his range and so is 44, 33 if he hit a set with those he would probably c/r you the turn. So the only hand he would play it this way are OESD, or TP or two pair. So, you should bet for value on the river here.
    • veriz
      Hello numbnutter,

Nah, calling is totally fine. Although I would bet the turn bigger and most likely still value-bet the river as well. :)

Best Regards.