push or fold

• clydePHP
      clydePHP
      Bronze
      ive been using nash push or fold solid even i have 60 blinds left in HU ......a hand evaluator told me that he advice me not to use push or fold with such a huge stack ...what blind should i use it nash push or fold .. any tips in HU? im playing 1.5$ micro . ill appreciate any of your advice
  • 4 replies
    • Tarhonya
      Tarhonya
      Bronze
      I wouldn't play push or fold with more than 13 blinds left, although I'm not sure if it's reasonable in HU.

Nash only indicates the correct move when your opponent play is optimal, but they do not play optimally so you should adapt your push or fold ranges accordingly, meaning that playing strictly by nash in certain situations can be bad.
    • clydePHP
      clydePHP
      Bronze
      things that i want to ask .

Should i do push or fold when my opponent has 16-20-25 blinds left?

what will i do if my opponent has 15-13 or lower blinds left should i do push or fold?

and what is the best preflop raise size? i raise 2.25xBB and my last opponent is minraising me
    • kbwinsagain
      kbwinsagain
      Bronze
      Originally posted by clydePHP
      things that i want to ask .

Should i do push or fold when my opponent has 16-20-25 blinds left?

what will i do if my opponent has 15-13 or lower blinds left should i do push or fold?

and what is the best preflop raise size? i raise 2.25xBB and my last opponent is minraising me
      I am just an average fish so take the following with a pinch of salt. I tend to write better than I play so, if I sound as though I know what I'm talking about, check with more accomplished players before applying my suggestions. I welcome feedback from said 'accomplished players' as to the observations that follow:

There are 3 balls you need to juggle:

1. Villain's playing style - TP, LP, TAG or LAG (this can be tricky and can change depending on other factors - tilt, boredom, fishiness, state-of-play - OK, more balls to juggle). TP players may let you limp/stab/fold all the way down (they generally play fit-or-fold so beware when they call or raise). LP players will generally call min-raises and c-bets which is great if you have a hand but sucks if you don't - if you have A-rag or picture cards, shove with as many as 15 BBs as villain is less likely to be so loose to a shove and these hands can be difficult post-flop if you don't hit; premium hands can be min-raised and bet for value. TAGs are the most likely style to follow Nash (or Chubakov) so you can do the same. It can be hard to limp or min-raise against LAGs, especially with marginal holdings, as they can push you off with a shove (this can work in your favour if you pick up a premium hand and can be used to trap them into shoving) so patience is essential - don't be panicked into shoving or calling light.

2. Effective (lowest) stack size - I usually don't start the push-fold stage until about 10-13 BBs. There are factors (above) that bare consideration, though. Sometimes an early shove (15-20 BBs) can severely alter a villain's playing style and can force them to "back off" if they are running you over. I have seen serial min-raisers fold their buttons after an early shove (a bit like punching a bully in the nose - makes them think twice next time).

3. Your hole-cards, of course - not much you can do with 52o. Chubakov is definitely worth checking out as a variation on Nash. Just remember: all those precise calculations mean nothing if villain strays from a convenient playing style.

Having said all that, I'm going to add another ball:

4. Your image and the state-of-play - if you've been shove, shove, shoving and they've been fold, fold, folding, tighten your shoving range as they may loosen their calling range - you may be risking all those lovely blinds you've just picked up in a coin flip between JTs and K2o. Alternatively, if you've been fold, fold, folding, widen your range as your next shove will get much more respect.

I wish there were neat formulas to follow but people are people and people are weird - they refuse to fit into a nicely convenient and predictable box.
    • DonCorleone369
      DonCorleone369
      Bronze
      Basically you should be using only Nash in case all your opponents play nash too. For example vs a very good reg HU.
      However, this is never the case but that doesn't mean it's not a good idea to base your push/fold decision according to nash. Just use nash as your base and try to adjust it properly. Most often in HU you can actually push wider than what nash states.

It's never ever a good idea to push for 60bbs+ HU and actually not even with 15-20bbs effective. You want to exploit your opponent's tendencies and you do that by playing some postflop. Unless you don't think you have any edge against villain (this is often not the case though) then you might start thinking to push with 11bbs-20bbs. But I wouldn't push/fold more than 20bbs regardless of villain.

10bbs or below just push or fold. 10-13bbs opt for preflop minraising strategy or push/fold. 13bbs+ minraising postflop strategy.