Microstakes, continuation betting

• david2655
      david2655
      Bronze
      hi, im playing 1/2c cashgames and keep running into the same situation.

Ill raise with a strong starting hand, say AK or AQ, and get 1 caller. Get a relatively harmless flop such as:
      6s6h7d
      or
      2d4hJc

and continuation bet about 1/2 - 3/4 of the pot. i will almost always get called, then get a blank turn card and be forced to check, then be bet at and be forced to fold. (in this example im out of position, but the same thing happens when im in position too).

Every time this happens i cant help but think there calling with nothing on the flop only to bluff me on the turn, ive so far resisted the instinct to reraise though.

is continuation betting these situations at microstakes unprofitable because people will call with anything/nothing??

Thanks in advance :)
  • 3 replies
    • Bunn3yB0y
      Bunn3yB0y
      Bronze
      If you are playing these types of opponent then why donate them a flop bet most of the time if you think theyre calling your flop bet closer to 100%. Keep it simple and check when you don't hit and raise when you do hit because like you say they will call you everytime and may even bluff their stack away for you :)
    • MatejM47
      MatejM47
      Black
      Well on a board like 667 against a fish with something like 50VPIP preflop you have the best hand on this flop 65% of the time. On this board he will call you with any Ahigh that you completly crush, every gutter osed FD and other crappy hands that your well ahead off. Its really hard to hit paired boards and since those fishes have very wide ranges preflop they rarely have a pocket pair so your A high is good most of the time.

So you have to know that when you c-bet this type of board with AK high your not bluffing but making a value bet against this type of player.

You can take a line like bet flop bet turn check back river if you expect him to call you with A high and any strait draw 2 times. If people are making ridiculous calls against you then you gotta valuebet against them very thin. You cant be scared of valuebetting those guy to death

If his more on the agro side then you can bet flop check back turn and call the river. Or check the flop and then call him down if you dont want to face a flop c/r. This line is better if you have some betsizing tells on him.

OOP is way tougher to play, especially if his aggro since it will be very hard to show your hand down. I really dont mind a check fold in that spot vs agro monkeys. Against passive player that wont barrel off i dont mind calling one street but you have to be pretty sure his one and done type of player.

The worst thing you can do is what your seem to be doing now when you put 1 bet in and then give up when you expect him to bet on future streets most of the time. It doesnt matter if you have the best hand in this spot if you can't show it down.

You also have to know you always have some equity in the hand with your 6 outs. You will pair up by the river 25% of the time at which point you can be pretty sure you have the best hand. If in the same hand you have 22 then i much more prefer just giving up on the flop since there really isnt any good cards for your hand on the turn.
    • buzzinowt
      buzzinowt
      Bronze
      Originally posted by david2655
      Every time this happens i cant help but think there calling with nothing on the flop only to bluff me on the turn, ive so far resisted the instinct to reraise though.
      It's called floating and it works well versus players with a high cbet.