Grinding HU's for my 1 in 50k shot

• Hahaownedlolz
      Hahaownedlolz
      Bronze
      I've had about 5 blogs. So i won't introduce myself. I've taken a long break from poker. Enjoying life, school, boxing and playing league of legends is mainly what i spent my time on :D

I have beaten up to $10 hu sng's with a solid winrate. I've always used somewhat loose/agressive brm however. Causing me to tilt quite easily.

My br currently stands at $140. Which i'd have played $10 hu's with before. But i'm doing it different this time. I'm going to start at the $1,50 hu sng's. Play atleast a 100 of them. Review my game. And then see where i'm standing at.

My plan is to grind ~$200 to buyin to the $10M sunday million. Last time they had it i managed to satellite my way in for about $40. However i lost about $400 on tournaments this year. Which is the reason why my bankroll is so little.

I know this is bad brm. You don't have to explain that to me. How i see it. i'm getting 1 in 50k shot atleast to be pretty much set for life financially. That sounds great to me personally. Much better then playing the lottery :D

Somewhere along the way i might get a husng subcription again. Whether or not i continue with poker after this depends on how this goes i guess. So that's pretty much it.

Will be posting hands, my thoughts etc. It just helps me personally. Comment on them if you want. Might also grind some $1 90/180man sng's and learn some more tournament strategy so i will do better at the SM if i make it.
  • 11 replies
    • Hahaownedlolz
      Hahaownedlolz
      Bronze
      Been almost a week so i thought i'd update my blog.

I actually wanted to finish the 100 headsup at the end of last week. But i'm running incredibly bad. Even though i don't think EV line should be looked at. I'm running 10 BI under EV in my last 18 games.

ohwel;.. not going to whine.Overall i feel i've been playing alright. Perhaps a bit too much hero shoves/calls or my timing has just been incredibly bad. But i'm leaning more towards the first one. Will review my games after this update.

Also been playing some freerolls/$1 sattelites for the 10th anniversary tournaments on pokerstars. have gotten into the top 5-10% of the payouts several times. but no tickets/money won so far. (for example top 80 of ~2-3k and top 20 win a ticket)

But for now i'll post some hands. Not many interesting ones since the play is very bad.

He seemed very agressive/spewy. He had bet paired flops before. So i thought his turn bet was a steal. I call and hope he keeps bluffing. An 8 is both a good and a bad card. There is a possibility he has an 8 the way he played it. However i didn't consider that. And put him on Ax/Kx. He had hero called before with highcards. So i minraise to try to get a little value.

He raises 3x and i call. Not sure if i should have raised the river. But overall i like how i played it.

Stacks:
      hahaownedlolz (SB) (1,415)
      BB (1,585)

Blinds: 10/20

Pre-Flop: (30, 2 players) hahaownedlolz is SB 10:diamond: Q:diamond:
      hahaownedlolz raises to 40, BB calls 20

Flop: 8:spade: 4:diamond: 4:heart: (80, 2 players)
      BB checks, hahaownedlolz checks

Turn: 10:spade: (80, 2 players)
      BB bets 58, hahaownedlolz calls 58

River: 8:club: (196, 2 players)
      BB bets 96, hahaownedlolz raises to 200, BB raises to 635, hahaownedlolz calls 435

Final Pot: 1,466
      hahaownedlolz shows
      10:diamond: Q:diamond:
      BB shows a full house, Eights full of Fours
      8:heart: 6:heart:

BB wins 1,466 (net +733)

hahaownedlolz lost 733

he had cbet/donkbet potsize 3 times before on paired flush draw flops.
      Overall he seemed like a tight fit or fold player. And was donkbetting 3/4 potsize with flushdraw. When valuebetting he never seemed to bet pot. so my thought process here is. either he's extremely lucky. or he's potbetting
      them as a bad bluff.

Stacks:
      hahaownedlolz (SB) (1,070)
      BB (1,930)

Blinds: 20/40

Pre-Flop: (60, 2 players) hahaownedlolz is SB 5:heart: 7:heart:
      hahaownedlolz raises to 80, BB calls 40

Flop: 3:diamond: 3:spade: A:diamond: (160, 2 players)

Turn: 4:heart: (160, 2 players)
      BB bets 160, hahaownedlolz goes all-in 990,
      BB folds

Final Pot: 1,310

hahaownedlolz wins 1,310 (net +240)

BB lost 240

Pretty funny hand. I'm not sure why i checked back the turn in this particular pot. I'm cbetting on a dry flop simply because i cbet a lot. So to cbet on dry flops just as a bluff would be bad if you ask me. I check behind to look weak But mostly so that in the future if i check behind turn it will look strong which makes it much easier to play. He shoves and i call ofcourse.

The hand itself is not that interesting. But i think i'm going to really try to keep my opponents guessing a lot. And actually fear checks. In general people especially at this limit see checking as weakness. So the bet/check/bet line is usually very profitable as people will call you with 2nd/third pairs instead of folding to second barrel on the turn.

However if i create a dynamic where i can cbet/check and my opponent thinks it's strong. That makes it really easy to cbet a lot and see cheap showdowns.

Another thing i like to do is bet very little on the river with anything from top pair to third pair when my opponent is hero calling a lot with highcards or bottom/third pair stuff. It's so funny because people really hate to fold when your betting like 1/4 or 1/3 pot. And after a while after they realise they've been spewing so many chips with those hercalls. And then you can actually make river bluffs very cheap :D

Stacks:
      hahaownedlolz (SB) (2,015)
      BB (985)

Blinds: 20/40

Pre-Flop: (60, 2 players) hahaownedlolz is SB K:spade: A:club:
      hahaownedlolz raises to 80, BB calls 40

Flop: 5:diamond: K:heart: 7:spade: (160, 2 players)
      BB checks, hahaownedlolz bets 80, BB calls 80

Turn: 3:spade: (320, 2 players)

River: 10:club: (320, 2 players)
      BB goes all-in 825, hahaownedlolz calls 825

Final Pot: 1,970
      hahaownedlolz shows a pair of Kings
      K:spade: A:club:
      BB shows high card King
      6:diamond: 9:spade:

hahaownedlolz wins 1,970 (net +985)

BB lost 985

That's pretty much it. Will try to play 100 till end of the week and hopefully i'll be running at atleast 10% ROI.
    • gartaaa
      gartaaa
      Bronze
      Good luck man!
    • LexerZz
      LexerZz
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Hahaownedlolz
      Been about a month since my last post. I've actualy not played any poker during this time. I've achieved many long-term goals i had this year in poker. like silverstar on pokerstars and proving to myself i indeed was a longterm profitable player at "decent" stakes. I've also showed i can grind it out.

But the cost was simply too high. I completely lost my balance in life. And i was constantly thinking about poker and only poker. When i was in bed at night i'd think about why people play certain spots in a certain way and figure out the most profitable way to play in such spots. This mindset led to a lot of stress and frustration when things were going downhill.

I'm quite happy with my life as it is now. I don't have the perfect balance i want yet. And till i accomplish that i won't return to playing poker. It really made me realise how important it is to have balance in life. Poker should be an addition to your life not become what your whole life revolves around.
      I've considered quitting poker permanently since it's never been worth the time i've invested in it so far. Yet during this last month i've realised. I really love the game.. Nothing else in life challenges me like poker does. It makes me want to constantly improve my game.

Will i return to poker atleast as a casual player? very likely
      Will i return to poker with intentions of becomming a pro? probably not
      Will i return to these forums? probably not either.

In reality i could however never become a true casual player. As the game itself makes me constantly want to get better at it and win. But more casual in the sense of just doing it for fun and putting quality over quantity in terms of playing amount.

So this is sort of a goodbye to these forums. I'm sure plenty are happy to see me gone. To those i say: Fuck you too :f_biggrin:
      Lol nice, you're from holland right? me 2.
      Will follow this, I play $7 @ stars atm.
    • Hahaownedlolz
      Hahaownedlolz
      Bronze
      So it didn't exactly go as planned.

Really busy in real life. Poker has just been really frustrating. I just can't seem to make a profit at any heads up sng's below $10. From all hu's i've played at $1-7 i'm -6,4% roi and all the hu's i've played $8-15 i'm 6,7%.

Which is really strange considering both sample sizes are pretty decent. Both include 2-4 tabling. And considering i was breakeven at $15's it makes it even stranger.

I should be crushing these but for some reason i am not. And when you lose money pretty much everytime you play it's hard to tell yourself to keep playing. Even if the money is meaningless.
      Either way, i've not been studying and been really lazy so i just have to put in a lot more effort and figure out why i'm losing so badly.

Plan:
      - Stop 2 tabling and 1 table and actually think. (Haven't played my A game at all)
      - Analyze my game and fix leaks.
      - i'd buy husng subscription but december is expensive month :D
      - Possibly play a few $1 45-180 man's and learn them. since i want to have another game next to headsup sng.
      - going to try to sat my way into the SM with the 1500 FPP i have. which is about $20-25 i believe. If i get lucky i'll play if not then ohwell :D

On a completely different note. I watched this show recently. something like brain training on NGC. And it was about how people can't multitask well at all. And when you do multitask your just switching your attention back and forth constantly instead of actually being able to focus on 2 things at once. I notice this when i play headsup poker. When i 2 table i always think/focus on 1 table and pretty much play automatically on the other one. Which simply can't be profitable unless your ABC/auto game is really solid or the players are very bad. So i don't think i'm really gaining anything from 2 tabling.
      (With multitasking they meant doing 2 things at the same time almost as good as if you were doing them separately)
    • Hahaownedlolz
      Hahaownedlolz
      Bronze
      Just thought i'd update real quick before i go to bed. Just finished a 2 hour session 1 tabling the $1,50s. and analysed all husng pots larger then 10bb i played this month (only 84 hands).

I'm pretty shocked at how badly i played. It's not that i'd play badly in general. Most hands i played pretty decently. But then i would completely spazz out and just shove all in in random spots. And when you do things like that, you can never be a winning player.

I made a whole list of adjustments, thoughts and ramblings on those hands. If anyone wants to read it i'll post it. But else i'll keep it to myself :D

This last session. i only played 7 husng but that took me 2 hours to play so it's not that as little as it sounds. I played really good if i say so myself. I haven't played my A game in 6+ months so this was a nice confidence boost. Made some mistakes and did run pretty well. But mostly i just talked out loud about everything happening. No music or anything just full focus. Whenever i'd get a bad beat i just grind it back up every single time untill i won.

Very happy, will grind some more tomorrow and post some hands here.. It was hard for me to play $1,50 husng seriously. But i just played my best every game. Might ask for a stake in a few weeks if i keep this up. But will have to show some good recent results first.

Obviously running quite a bit above EV. Regardless of that my EV-adjusted ROI is 27,3%. Don't think that's maintainable even with how badly i crushed them tonight. but i'll be very happy with anywhere from 8-15% ROI.

• Hahaownedlolz
      Hahaownedlolz
      Bronze
      Double post
    • Hahaownedlolz
      Hahaownedlolz
      Bronze
      I'm soul crushing these fish so i'm moving up to $10 hu sng's :D

Just kidding :f_biggrin: They seem way softer then before. Everyone is just so incredibly bad it's not even funny. I believe i can achieve a pretty sick ROI at this level since everytime i get down i can just grind back up over and over again.

I have about 40 hands in a notepad. I'll just show you an example game i just played. So you guys can see how bad the play there really is

Start of the headsup. standard cbet and turn bet. He minraises. I'm not quite willing to give up on my K high yet. Possible hands are Kx, terrible bluffs, and 2x. I think 2x is most likely here. He shoves on A river. I don't see how i can call here. 2x and Ax beats me which i think is pretty much the entire range of the average fish at these stakes. Really ugly spot so i just give it up.

BTN/SB: t1530 76.50 BBs
      Hero (BB): t1470 73.50 BBs

Pre Flop: (t30) Hero is BB with J :diamond: K :spade:
      BTN/SB calls t10, Hero raises to t60, BTN/SB calls t40

Flop: (t120) 2 :diamond: 5 :heart: K :diamond: (2 players)
      Hero bets t60, BTN/SB calls t60

Turn: (t240) 2 :spade: (2 players)
      Hero bets t140, BTN/SB raises to t280, Hero calls t140

River: (t800) A :club: (2 players)
      Hero checks, BTN/SB bets t1130 all in, Hero folds

He was a really agressive player. And what i noticed is that when i would check after i bet he would always bet. So i trap him with the bet/check line and get it in with the nuts on the river. After this hand i realised what a huge callingstation he was

BTN/SB: t2010 100.50 BBs
      Hero (BB): t990 49.50 BBs

Pre Flop: (t30) Hero is BB with Q :spade: K :heart:
      BTN/SB calls t10, Hero raises to t60, BTN/SB calls t40

Flop: (t120) A :heart: K :club: T :diamond: (2 players)
      Hero bets t60, BTN/SB calls t60

Turn: (t240) J :spade: (2 players)
      Hero checks, BTN/SB bets t120, Hero calls t120

River: (t480) 3 :spade: (2 players)
      Hero checks, BTN/SB bets t240, Hero raises to t750 all in, BTN/SB calls t510

Final Pot: t1980
      BTN/SB shows J :heart: 9 :diamond: (a pair of Jacks)
      Hero shows Q :spade: K :heart: (a straight, Ten to Ace)
      Hero wins t1980

Top pair is the nuts on the flop versus a player like this. Alot of draws out there too so it's a good spot to just get it in. After this hand i knew i had won the headsup already since he was such an extreme callingstation.

BB: t975 32.50 BBs
      Hero (BTN/SB): t2025 67.50 BBs

Pre Flop: (t45) Hero is BTN/SB with T :heart: 8 :diamond:
      Hero raises to t60, BB calls t30

Flop: (t120) 8 :spade: 2 :diamond: 7 :spade: (2 players)
      BB bets t120, Hero raises to t1965 all in, BB calls t795 all in

Turn: (t1950) A :spade: (2 players - 2 are all in)

River: (t1950) 4 :spade: (2 players - 2 are all in)

Final Pot: t1950
      BB shows 2 :heart: 6 :spade: (a flush, Ace high)
      Hero shows T :heart: 8 :diamond: (a pair of Eights)
      BB wins t1950

I usually raise 3x versus limpers but i already raised 2,5 before versus him so i like to keep in consistent.

standard bet on flop and he minraises me here. I could just call and let him put in the chips, raise 3x or get it in here. However i didn't want to fold bad hands and there aren't really any scare cards so i just let him give me some more chips on the turn. I can either raise to like 300 on the turn and have 300 behind but i dislike doing that so i just get it in

BTN/SB: t2175 72.50 BBs
      Hero (BB): t825 27.50 BBs

Pre Flop: (t45) Hero is BB with A :spade: A :heart:
      BTN/SB calls t15, Hero raises to t75, BTN/SB calls t45

Flop: (t150) 3 :diamond: 5 :club: J :spade: (2 players)
      Hero bets t75, BTN/SB raises to t150, Hero calls t75

Turn: (t450) 6 :club: (2 players)
      Hero checks, BTN/SB bets t120, Hero raises to t600 all in, BTN/SB calls t480

River: (t1650) J :heart: (2 players - 1 is all in)

Final Pot: t1650
      BTN/SB shows 5 :heart: 7 :diamond: (two pair, Jacks and Fives)
      Hero shows A :spade: A :heart: (two pair, Aces and Jacks)
      Hero wins t1650

I pretty much flop the nuts here. and he decides to bet 2x potsize. Since i already had a Q and a 5 it's less likely he has Qx or 5x and he has shown he can do this with bottom pair so 4x is the most likely hand. Again not much draws so i have no reason to raise it here. So i just trap him again.

The turn is obviously quite bad so i decide to just call. The 6 river completes some draws so i decide to just call and hope for the best. I beat a lot of hands like Qx and 5x and i think it's more likely he's shoving then betting if he had a straight or three of a kind. But i don't mind just winning the already big pot. Since the game is as good as over if i win it anyway.

BTN/SB: t1430 35.75 BBs
      Hero (BB): t1570 39.25 BBs

Pre Flop: (t60) Hero is BB with 5 :diamond: Q :heart:
      BTN/SB calls t20, Hero checks

Flop: (t80) 4 :diamond: 5 :spade: Q :club: (2 players)
      Hero checks, BTN/SB bets t160, Hero calls t160

Turn: (t400) 4 :spade: (2 players)
      Hero checks, BTN/SB bets t240, Hero calls t240

River: (t880) 6 :diamond: (2 players)
      Hero checks, BTN/SB bets t440, Hero calls t440

Final Pot: t1760
      BTN/SB shows Q :spade: 2 :diamond: (two pair, Queens and Fours)
      Hero shows 5 :diamond: Q :heart: (two pair, Queens and Fives)
      Hero wins t1760

Last hand of the headsup. standard pfr and shove versus this opponent. Also flushdraw out there and since he calls with bottom/med pair i have no reason not to shove here.

BB: t550 13.75 BBs
      Hero (BTN/SB): t2450 61.25 BBs

Pre Flop: (t60) Hero is BTN/SB with Q :spade: 8 :diamond:
      Hero raises to t80, BB calls t40

Flop: (t160) Q :heart: 3 :heart: 6 :club: (2 players)
      BB bets t120, Hero raises to t2370 all in, BB calls t350 all in

Turn: (t1100) 8 :spade: (2 players - 2 are all in)

River: (t1100) 5 :diamond: (2 players - 2 are all in)

Final Pot: t1100
      BB shows 3 :diamond: T :heart: (a pair of Threes)
      Hero shows Q :spade: 8 :diamond: (two pair, Queens and Eights)
      Hero wins t1100

Plan:
      - Post hands every day on 2p2.
      - Analyse all pots played larger then 10bb once a week.
      - read some husng articles on 2p2.
      - try to play 10-15 husng every day. (2-3,5 hours)
      - move up to $3,50'S once i have 50 buyins for them.

I might post some interesting hands later today. I'll also post some hands of how badly i was playing before that will even make your pet facepalm :f_biggrin:

• Hahaownedlolz
      Hahaownedlolz
      Bronze
      Was planning to update earlier but haven't been running too well. Probably among the worst times i've run since i've started playing poker. Just really frustrated by that and stressed due to real life. Down about 10 buyins since my peak but if i have to run really bad then i'm happy it's at the $1,50 level. t it's still very frustrating that i'm supposedly running 12 buyins above ev when i'm getting a ridiculous amount of coolers and setups.

I make folds pretty much no one can at this limit.. But after a while it's just too much. I just start thinking how can they run so good? This can't be possible. Just to see they hit their 2-4 outer again on the turn/river. But to be honest i've not been playing to the best of my ability and have tilted a few times.

Atm i just think it's best not to play and just clear my mind so when i play again i can fully focus on poker.

As for trying to sat my way into the SM again. i spent about 500 FPP trying to go to round 2 of the SM mega path. Which was a 215FPP ticket. I won my round 3 ticket today worth 2150 FPP. So now i have about a 1 in 6.5 chance to sat my way into the sunday million. Will probably use my remaining 1k FPP to just play 2 500 FPP sats and see if i get lucky.

Honestly played terribly in round 2 and didn't deserve to win a ticket at all. If i do sat my way in i might not even play. If i'm just going to spew off chips like a monkey in the SM then i might aswell just cash it out.
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Hi there,

The way things are looking I would be surprised if that Round 3 game finished before the SM starts so if you are lucky enough to win you'll be registered straight into it. I've been trying to contact Stars about this but still awaiting a reply on it.

Best of luck in the satellite though :) I will be playing it also and the $11 super satellite. I have already qualified and am registered for the SM but hoping to scoop a nice FPP and T$ boost

Best wishes,
      Gary
    • CheckBop
      CheckBop
      Bronze
      nice blog , gl. following
    • Hahaownedlolz
      Hahaownedlolz
      Bronze
      Originally posted by HollyMichelle
      Hi there,

The way things are looking I would be surprised if that Round 3 game finished before the SM starts so if you are lucky enough to win you'll be registered straight into it. I've been trying to contact Stars about this but still awaiting a reply on it.

Best of luck in the satellite though :) I will be playing it also and the $11 super satellite. I have already qualified and am registered for the SM but hoping to scoop a nice FPP and T$ boost

Best wishes,
      Gary

Thanks. I just won 2 tickets to the sunday million a few minutes ago :f_biggrin: And i did notice i got automatically registered.

Should probably change thread titel to "luckboxing sats for my 1 in 50k shot"

Really happy atm. $215T is a nice increase of my bankroll. Any winnings will likely be cashed out though. Will keep playing $1,50s till i'm showing good stats.