Why is it okay to push AK (sss) ?

• matkov
      matkov
      Bronze
      Hello, why should you always push (even preflop) AK using the sss? Let's say AK offsuite like in the SHC.I used the holdem calculator, and pushing AK is always a coinflip. If you raise, and get one guy to reraise you, you must push according to sss, but even if the villan has as little as pocket deuces he has 53 chance of winning. But there is more chance of an opponent reraising you that much, that he holds at least pocket 10. In that case he has like 57% chance of winning. So how can AK be profitable on the long run, if it is pretty much always a coinflip? And not to mention, you're the first to act preflop and you get one caller and one reraiser behind you. You have even less chance then.

Isn't it better to just call a guy's raise (if its reasonable) rather than going all in right away, and if hitting push it (he'd have a hard time laying down his pocket tens or jacks), and if the board looks nasty (for him) trying to steal the pot. I mean if there are only middle cards on board, and thus you just called his preflop raise, (he's gona wonder if you had like 77 to just call preflop)trying to act like you hit a set?

I'll really apreciate you guys, for clearing to me, why the AK is such a powerfull hand

thanks, pokerstrategy rocks btw :P (really happy for rakeback on fultillt hehe)
  • 4 replies
    • chenny8888
      chenny8888
      Bronze
      so you're saying you've never faced a villain's Ax with AK? because you're ~70/30 ahead against those :)
    • Nunki
      Nunki
      Bronze
      When you hold AK the only hands that dominate you are KK and AA, but since you hold AK there is only half the chance of being up against AA or KK as opposed to when you hold neither an A nor a K.

When you raise PF using the SSS typically 1/5 of your stack goes into the pot meaning that you will get at least 3:2 on calling a shove from behind.

Calling with AK to an opening raise makes it very difficult to play post-flop as AK is a hand that likes to see all five cards.

Once you have sufficient experience it can be OK to fold AK PF to certain players opening raises, however it is fine as a default policy to get AI PF. When your AK does get shoved on by 22,33 etc remember that at other times you will be holding TT+ and despite being an underdog in this particular instance your range in such spots will be very profitable in the long run.
    • chenny8888
      chenny8888
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Nunki
      When you hold AK the only hands that dominate you are KK and AA, but since you hold AK there is only half the chance of being up against AA or KK as opposed to when you hold neither an A nor a K.

When you raise PF using the SSS typically 1/5 of your stack goes into the pot meaning that you will get at least 3:2 on calling a shove from behind.

Calling with AK to an opening raise makes it very difficult to play post-flop as AK is a hand that likes to see all five cards.

Once you have sufficient experience it can be OK to fold AK PF to certain players opening raises, however it is fine as a default policy to get AI PF. When your AK does get shoved on by 22,33 etc remember that at other times you will be holding TT+ and despite being an underdog in this particular instance your range in such spots will be very profitable in the long run.
      nice one! nothing more needs to be said :P
    • matkov
      matkov
      Bronze

Yeah I totally agree, nice point.
      Thanks for explaing guys, maybe this thread will also clear this thing to other begginers. I checked my software and AK wins 61 % of the time (got AK 161 times), but still I feel bad when 22 run me over :)