How to get better communication skills

• sassyannie
      sassyannie
      Basic
      Hello,
      I work at a marketing firm where presentation skills are required.
      Meetings occur frequently and I need to speak freely and confident infront of people. There is no place for anxiety and nervousness which I totally get, but of course cannot fake. This is something I want to work on, and wondering if you guys can recommend any online resources or real life training you have done and like? Thanks!

Otherwise it's all good! Thanks for the help.

Anton
  • 18 replies
    • 1984ioc
      1984ioc
      Bronze
      Only comes with practise i'd say Anton and i doubt courses will prepare you for the real thing.I'm sure there are mild pills you can take if it gets too bad but otherwise just be more confident.Everyone has to start these things sometime with these companies so they won't be too harsh the first few times.
    • datsmahname
      datsmahname
      Global
      whatever you do, don't get communication lessons from Scientology.

seriously, they're freaks.
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      xanax
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      I had never talked to a group before and the first time I had to teach a class as a student, I was so wet with sweat I had to hand it back to the teacher because I couldnt talk anymore.
      It's even worse when you try to get them to interact and they just sit and stare at you! Lol.
      Most teachers have gone through it.
      I found the best way to get past this stage was to be so well rehearsed I didn't need notes.
      Basically, be prepared and practise is you can beforehand. Oh and remember, it's your room when you're talking, not theirs. :) It won't take long before you own the place.
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Bronze
      Hi sassyannie.

I completely understand where you are coming from i am horrible at speaking to a group of people i don't know very well and can get pretty nervous when put in those situations or at least i used to but recently have become a lot better.

I don't think there is a way to cure this, i wouldn't take pills or pay for courses/self help crap. Just talk to people, people you have never or dont normally talk to. It can be difficult at first but honestly the more you do it the more confident you become,

It could be people at work or in the pub or even just in the street saying good morning and giving a smile to a couple of strangers. You don't need to get into a full conversation with people just a passing comment is enough to raise your confidence a tiny bit every time you do it.

I saw something the other day somebody said to Ricky Gervais:

"i want to get involved with stand up comedy but suffer really badly from stage fright and nerves when talking to strangers, any tips"

"Sure, i completely understand that, just do what i do, act like you aren't nervous"

At first i thought he was joking but i thought about it and its right you walk into a room shoulders back looking confident make eye contact with everyone speak confidently and loudly and everyone straight away pays attention. They have no idea that you are nervous and falling apart inside and they relax, which will help you relax and you can take it from there.

Think of it like playing poker and giving yourself a table image, you want people to think you are confident and know what you are doing/talking about whether you actually do or not is irrelevant.

Anyway im ranting now so il stop, il just say that im sure there are plenty of materials out there that you can buy. but coming from somebody who has been/is in the same position nothing can help like real life practise

All the best

Carl
    • Gerovit
      Gerovit
      Bronze
      This is one of the popular books that can help you

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Public-Speaking/Brian-Tracy/e/9781600770746
    • ihufa
      ihufa
      Gold
      imagine you're naked while you give the repressentation
    • JackxxRatt
      JackxxRatt
      Bronze
      Go to a place like Alcoholics Anonymous where you can practice speaking to groups for free. Assuming you're not an alcoholic you'll need to blag a bit which I presume is necessary in your line of work ;)
    • XxMatadorExX
      XxMatadorExX
      Silver
      Originally posted by NightFrostaSS
      xanax
      LOL
    • Opecz
      Opecz
      Bronze
      find pick up artists forum, read their articles on anxiety etc, you could practice going out and speaking with people about random stuff, but srsly pua forums is very close to this topic, check it out
    • XxMatadorExX
      XxMatadorExX
      Silver
      Originally posted by Opecz
      find pick up artists forum, read their articles on anxiety etc, you could practice going out and speaking with people about random stuff, but srsly pua forums is very close to this topic, check it out
      Well if we are going this far, then read "The Game" By Neil Strauss! You can download it lol
    • VincentNew
      VincentNew
      Basic
      Not sure if that's what you're looking for:
      Check out Conversationland, they do online communication skills coaching.

Good luck!
    • BradleyWin
      BradleyWin
      Basic
      Hello!
      It takes consistent action over an extended period of time to get good at public speaking/social skills.

This might do the trick to improve your communication skills:
      Offline: Toastmasters Public Speaking (check in any major city)
      Online: Conversationland.com for daily conversation skills coachings (google them)

Brad
    • liguolong
      liguolong
      Bronze
      Just keep practising and try to communicate with random ppl.
    • harvbucks
      harvbucks
      Bronze
      preparation is your best bet to start. there is groups called "toastmasters" who meet regularly and practice speaking in front of groups. just go in with content drilled in your head and what your going to say well rehearsed.
    • VincentNew
      VincentNew
      Basic
      Conversationland.net if you want to talk with lots of new people and get better communication skills. My friend won a dollars on that site too with conversations.
      Its for free I believe.

Taken from their homepage:

Get Rich for Being Cool Online

Competitive conversation battles with the audience deciding the winner

Watch recent $ battle conversations on YouTube
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqmFgNykB0E&feature=related

Get started
      http://www.conversationland.net

-Double up your money in 15 minutes
      -Make 5 conversations for 3 minutes each. win 3 of 5 to double your investment.
      -Everything is for free
      -Satisfied with our service?
      -Then step up your game by talking for money
      -Invest 10 and win 19$
      -Or invest 50$ and win 95$
      -We organize conversations for your $ limit
      -Watch conversation examples on youtube
    • DeMarcohsp
      DeMarcohsp
      Bronze
      http://www.thegreatcourses.com/tgc/courses/course_detail.aspx?cid=9332

All you need.