Treat Your Poker Like a Business

Bronze
      Hey all,

I have just read "Treat Your Poker Like a Business" by Dusty Schmidt.
      I really found it an interesting read and is different from any other books or strategy articles I have read. He doesn't go into too much detail about strategy but really does give an all around approach to making money from poker. That's what we are here to do right?

If anyone has any thoughts I'd love to hear them :)
  • 26 replies
    • buzzinowt
      buzzinowt
      Bronze
      It is a good book. I love to read it if I am lacking motivation.
      Bronze
      Ya i like a lot of his theories. What do you think about not looking at the cashier between sessions? I find it hard to not look during a session to be honest. It is also impractical as when you are doing a session review you are going to see whether you are up or down.

I suppose it is more applicable when you are very comfortable at a certain limit and feel you are playing an ideal strategy
    • MJPerry
      MJPerry
      Bronze
      Originally posted by 0744379
      Ya i like a lot of his theories. What do you think about not looking at the cashier between sessions? I find it hard to not look during a session to be honest. It is also impractical as when you are doing a session review you are going to see whether you are up or down.

I suppose it is more applicable when you are very comfortable at a certain limit and feel you are playing an ideal strategy
      I spoke to Dusty about this. It's more referring to if you're the kind of guy (like me) who can't stop refreshing your HEM graph whenever you win or lose a big pot. It's counter-intuitive and makes you results-orientated without even realising it.

Of course looking at the cashier post-session is fine. Just don't let it distract you from making the right decisions at the tables.
      Bronze
      Yes I have set up my HEM so when I view it during a session I just see how many hands I have played and how long I have played for. So I know when to take breaks and when I have enough hands played. I avoid looking at my balance/graph until the end.

It is a very good tip as if you find out you are down even just a little bit it can put you on tilt if you feel you are playing well.

Great book by Dusty.
    • jperucao
      jperucao
      Bronze
      great book

read it twice and going to read one more time ;)
    • w34z3l
      w34z3l
      Coach
      Coach
      Nice book.

Not huge amounts of strategy, but super-motivational. Dusty is a legend.
    • MatejM47
      MatejM47
      Black
      Originally posted by 0744379
      Yes I have set up my HEM so when I view it during a session I just see how many hands I have played and how long I have played for. So I know when to take breaks and when I have enough hands played. I avoid looking at my balance/graph until the end.

It is a very good tip as if you find out you are down even just a little bit it can put you on tilt if you feel you are playing well.

Great book by Dusty.
      If you only want to know hands/time your playing you can minimize HM to only see those to rows and you turn off color of winning and lossing sessions.

There really is no good reason to check HM for results during a session. If you feel like checking it your definitly to results oriented and you might not even know it. Its simply an unnecessary distraction during the sesssion.
      Bronze
      Thanks Matej I think I am only beginning to realise how much of a leak it is.

I am far too results orientated. I even try to guess whether I am up or not during a session. I have to find a way to block it out and just concentrate on playing well.

Profit comes from playing well: playing well doesnt come from profit!
    • Phgrinder
      Phgrinder
      Bronze
      HEM table finder question

when i hover my mouse on the table finder it shows hands played and amount won/loss.

how do you setup HEM so that the table finder icon on the lower right side of the screen will just show the number of hands played?
    • fruktpuff
      fruktpuff
      Bronze
      Should totally get Dusty to join this thread for a discussion, imo!
    • DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Bronze
      Originally posted by fruktpuff
      Should totally get Dusty to join this thread for a discussion, imo!
      +1 come on dusty!

and awesome book! i tried not looking at my cashier but it's pretty hard. i just give up in the end and look. i try not to let it influence my game but i'm sure it does :f_frown:
    • Spungeh
      Spungeh
      Bronze
      Ive read this, found it intresting as not all math based.
      Bronze
      Ya come on Dusty
    • Xeonz123
      Xeonz123
      Bronze
      How much does the book cost i might purchase it from the great reviews on here :)
    • Bigniux
      Bigniux
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Xeonz123
      How much does the book cost i might purchase it from the great reviews on here :)
      http://www.amazon.com/Treat-Your-Poker-Business-ebook/dp/B004TO6LT2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1324127775&sr=8-2
    • NIVEKii
      NIVEKii
      Bronze
      Any idea why it is so expensive as a kindle edition? More than twice the cost of the paperback...
    • CheckBop
      CheckBop
      Bronze
      yeha great book, bit different to the mass market poker books out there.
    • MrMardyBum
      MrMardyBum
      Bronze
      I've also read this book and found it to be a refreshing change, and (as mentioned previously) very motivational. I am very bad at looking at my cashier or refreshing my HEM graph or even both, and now with the new session tracker on HEM2 I do it even more - I don't know how to stop, I try to ignore it, but then I just auto-pilot there.

Anyway, highly recommend this book. :)
    • letmoroan
      letmoroan
      Global
      Thanks for the Info, I really need this too.... :)