Hello my capitalist friends

• Praff
      Praff
      Basic
      Dear members/staff of pokerstrategy dot com,

How're y'all doin?

Please allow me to introduce myself: my name is Andrei Sorin Rozoleanu and I come from the beautiful and glorious nation of Romania(just kidding, it's neither beautiful nor glorious). I was born in 1985 in the month of august in a very communist hospital in Bucharest. My current residence is London, U.K.

As the more perceptive of you have probably guessed by now, I am an aspiring poker player. I've had a few cracks at the whole 'trying to build a poker career' thing in the past but it didn't quite work out. I used to play on pokerstars a few years ago but after blowing a few bankrolls away because of my lack of patience and moving up the stakes when I really shouldn't have I quit. You could say I was more or less forced to put a halt to my poker 'career' due to a severe lack of funds.

However that was back when my knowledge of poker was basic at best. Since then I have played modest sums in a few poker rooms around London( 1£ bb -100£ buy-in) and have broke out a bit under even. Meaning that after maybe 20 - 30 sessions my bankroll is somewhere between -50£ to -70£.

I am now aware that if I'm to ever make a profit at this game I must study. I'm actually more confident playing live poker(i.e. NL cash games) and I much prefer it to its online counterpart. Unfortunately I simply cannot afford to sit down at a table with a mere 1 buy-in and prey to the flop Gods(not to mention turn and river Gods) to double me up a few times so that I can think of myself as a decent cash game player.

I have ordered two books which I intend to read and study religiously: 'Super-system 2' by Doyle Bronson, and 'The Poker Mindset' by Ian Taylor. As I don't have an internet connection at the moment(just moved in a new place) I won't be able to start playing for at least another month, but when I do start I'm going to do it properly this time and read all the articles this wonderful site has to offer. Not to mention I intend to start playing micro-stakes and hopefuly work my way up from there.

I do apologise for the length of this post, and would like to take this opportunity to thank those who took the time to read it.

The very best of regards,
      Andrei
  • 15 replies
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Bronze
      Hey Praff thanks for joining us and posting here.

Ive just moved too how much does it suck not having the internet? i hate it!

Poker mindset is a must read so nice choice.

Also you should check out a blog thats just launched recently i will link you to it in a moment. He works for PokerStrategy.com and is a winning player upto nl400 and has started a "challenge" where he is starting at nl10 and working his way through the stakes without using a HUD teaching us how to take proper notes and more importantly how we can use them to crush not just the fish but the regs too. Here is the link:

NL10 to NL400 without a hud!

Best of luck with everything keep us posted

Carl
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      Hey man!

Look at you all baller living in London! It's great that you managed to move out of Romania imo...

My 2 cents about the books:

1. Super System 2 is outdated . Not useless but you are not getting maximum value for the time you invest into reading it. There are newer and better books out there. Also, there are some very good basic video series around which are probably better than any book because you also get to see some concepts put into action.

2. The Poker Mindset is only good if you have solid fundamentals of theory and are playing on a regular basis. It's one of the best if not THE BEST poker psychology book.

Manu.
    • Praff
      Praff
      Basic
      Thanks a lot guys, really cool of you to welcome me like this. :D

@ExternalUseOnly : Not having internet does suck, it sux really very much. However don't think that that's gonna keep me from being active on the forum. There's more than one way to skin a cat right? (am on my mate's iPAd atm :p)

@EmanuelC16 : Gracias, it is great indeed :) Don't get me wrong, Romania's not all bad, but you know, London's... Well, London. Love the cultural diversity both on the streets and in the poker rooms. It's always nice to sit down at a table with characters that look like they were made to fill seats at a poker game :tongue:

Looking forward to starting to learn this fascinating game. One thing keeps bugging me though: I just can't determine what my level is. I mean I'm obviosly a beginner but I am familiar with very basic concepts AND I feel that I can hold my own at any given live table(more or less). Any ideas on how to evaluate myself?

I will keep you posted, appreciate your support fellas,
      Cheers,
      Andrei
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      I guess one way of evaluating yourself is discussing with other poker players. If not for evaluating yourself then just to get an idea of how others view the game.

What are the basic concepts you are talking about? I found that players that learned mostly from experience have cloudy thoughts for their actions and play based on what worked before and what didn't. The usual "I bet because I think I'm ahead" or "I raise to see where I'm at in the hand" stuff...

I've sent you a friend request in the community tool. I'll send you a PM with my Skype contact if you wanna chat more.
    • purplefizz
      purplefizz
      Bronze
      hi Andrei,

very nice introduction! and a warm welcome to our community :)
      more awesome Romanian members in our forum, nice! i see you've already met Manu here.

i like "The Poker Mindset". :) mind you, i still have to finish reading it. :f_confused: can't be lazy if i wanna pwn this game though.

i think it doesnt matter too much what your level is, especially if you haven't been able to log on a lot of hands for online play yet. it is much harder than live play in my opinion. if i were you, i would start at the lowest stakes until you get a good feel for the speed of the game, the software, and eventually multi-tabling. then you can move up and down depending on your bankroll management. BRM has saved many (including myself) plenty of times from going broke. have you read the articles yet?

hope you fix your internet soon!

smiles,
      wendy
    • IngridN
      IngridN
      Bronze
      Hi Andrei,

Welcome to our community!

Nice introduction :)

I've checked your account and trying to get you to the next stage, saw your conversation with our customer support guys and we'll try to speed up a few things for you.

Also, as I understood you won't be able to play for another month because of your internet connection. Regarding this, since you requested your free $50 at Party Poker I just wanted to remind you that you'll have 150 days to accumulate 100 PartyPoints to keep the Free50.

If you're account pass our verification stage and you get credited the free $50 in 48 hours time, you'll have 150 days to gather 100 points before it gets revoked.

I just thought that this might be a useful information for you.

Let me know if we can help you with anything

Ingrid
    • Praff
      Praff
      Basic
      Tyvm ladies, I feel even more welcomed now. I've a good feeling bout this community, feels pretty legit!

My internet should be up and running on the 22nd(hopefully) so Whopty-do!!-it's how we express joy in Romanian-. If everything goes as planned I'll send a mail with a scan of my ID as soon as my connection is up.

Thxfor your help Ingrid, I just replied to Viorica from customer support regarding the platforms and the bonus. However, given that she used Romanian I used it aswell so you prolly won't understand what we were on about. Basically I asked if I could get the bonus on pokerstars. I know I opted for partypoker back when I first created this account, but I'd like to play on pokerstars if that's allright. If not, partypoker is fine too I suppose.

Wendy that's a pretty chic nickname you've got there, sounds sorta trippy :D . Love your enthusiasm, hope I'll be able to share it after I start playing. I have met Manu, he's allright. You all are, it's almost like everyone here is TOO nice... Nah I'm jokin'. No such thing as being 'too nice'. I feel the same way about online players(they can be trickier as compared to their live counterparts)and the game overall is a bit more difficult online than it is live. I've read most of the articles that my basic account allows me to read and found them to be very good and insightful.

Ok so since everyone has been so nice, welcoming me and everything, I thought I'd share my evolution as a player with y'all. The plan is to start on micro stakes, grind my way up and eventually, once I have a decent size roll start playing live( nothing like playing live, being able to read the emotions of your oponents etc). I intend to start a blog(which is where thesharing comes in). I figure it would have the potential to be somewhat entertaining and maybe, who knows, help newer members not make the same mistakes I will.

That's it for now, Take care and stay of tilt everyone!
      Peace.
    • IngridN
      IngridN
      Bronze
      aww you're very sweet :)

regarding this
      Basically I asked if I could get the bonus on pokerstars. I know I opted for partypoker back when I first created this account, but I'd like to play on pokerstars if that's allright. If not, partypoker is fine too I suppose.
      unfortunately we don't offer the free $50 at PokerStars :( but you can get it at Party Poker :)

Let me know when you on your way to send in the ID and I'll check up on your documents.

22nd is only 5 more sleeps to go :D :D

weee! see you very soon!
      Ingrid
    • purplefizz
      purplefizz
      Bronze
      you're damn right we're legit! too legit to quit (hey hey)!
      i hope you know that song or i just made a fool out of myself. :D

and also, this community absolutely rocks! :s_cool: :f_love:
      i just know you would make a very good addition.

stay cool. :s_cool:
    • Eyewitness
      Eyewitness
      Bronze
      Originally posted by purplefizz
      STOP! Hammer Time!

On topic:

Hello Andrei! Nice to meet you. I'm romanian too and i have the same name as you. I generally use the romanian forum, i'm just lurking here and spam on ocassion.

I must say, i'm not sharing your opinion about Romania. It might not be glorious but it surely is beautiful. No wonder Prince Charles loves it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ip_QZaBfXqM

Anyway, goodluck at the tables when you'll get your money. Also, make sure you'll use a proper bankroll mangement, it's vital.

See ya!
    • IngridN
      IngridN
      Bronze
      good to see you Eyewitness :) come around more often!
    • Eyewitness
      Eyewitness
      Bronze
      Hi IngridN

I will try to spend some more time on this forum. I like the mood :)
    • purplefizz
      purplefizz
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Eyewitness
      Originally posted by purplefizz
      STOP! Hammer Time!

haha! awesome Eyewitness! :D

+1 million on what Ingrid said. you should spend looooots of time with us here :s_evil: :f_love:
    • Eyewitness
      Eyewitness
      Bronze
      Oh, well... :f_love:
    • bringmecards
      bringmecards
      Bronze
      gl at the tables and welcome