[NL2-NL10] nl5 - 22 vs 88

• Philfox1985
      Philfox1985
      Bronze
      Been raising my pocket pairs a little more, prefer to play with the initiative and quite often get folds pre-flop.

This hand didn't go so well, on flop I figured it was worth a c-bet as the way I played my hand Pre looks very strong. If I had known what his hand was it may have been worth continuing betting, probably he would have folded on river.

Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      MP2:
      $5.39
      MP3:
      $5.92
      Hero:
      $9.8

0.03/0.05 No-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy.com Elephant 0.102 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is CO with 2:heart: , 2:spade:
      MP2 raises to $0.16, MP3 calls $0.16, Hero raises to $0.72, 4 folds, MP3 calls $0.56.

Flop: ($1.68) T:heart: , 9:heart: , 7:club: (2 players)
      MP3 checks, Hero bets $0.83, MP3 calls $0.83.

Turn: ($3.34) 4:club: (2 players)
      MP3 checks, Hero checks.

River: ($3.34) 3:diamond: (2 players)
      MP3 checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: $3.34

Results follow (highlight to see):
      MP3 shows a pair of eights (8h 8s)
      Hero shows (2h 2s)

MP3 wins with a pair of eights (8h 8s)
  • 4 replies
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello Philfox1985,

Why should you ever raise preflop with PPs? Why don't you just Call for set avlue while you have super loose opponents in the hand. :) Standard play would be for me to just Call preflop.

But otherwise seems to be fine, although this is again a board where you will rarely even have any fold equity.

Best Regards.
    • Philfox1985
      Philfox1985
      Bronze
      Playing for set value hasn't been going too well for me recently, villians win 80+% of the pots and then when I do hit my set they haven't been paying me off!

Given that I figured I would change up my play a little once in a while, try to win a few more hands wihout hitting the set.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Originally posted by Philfox1985
      Playing for set value hasn't been going too well for me recently, villians win 80+% of the pots and then when I do hit my set they haven't been paying me off!

Given that I figured I would change up my play a little once in a while, try to win a few more hands wihout hitting the set.
      Well, I am pretty sure against that kind of loose opponents you wont play this way your 22 profitable either. :D
    • nobode
      nobode
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Philfox1985

Most of the time I'll 3bet small pocket pairs preflop will be as a 3bet/fold bluff in the blinds against CO/BTN steals. If I have position on the original raiser I think it's a better idea to either just call and play pots in position, or just fold the hand. Especially against such loose opponents that would not likely fold to your reraise, you would have to play a bigger pot on the flop that you're not going to connect with most of the time.

If you feel like you aren't doing well with sets, then I think you can just fold your smallest pairs to a raise, although that might be a bit tight. You also might want to try to really be picky about the raiser in order to make sure that, in the times you do hit, he'll be more likely to continue with his hands. For examples, call raises from guys that would raise with strong hands, and loose fish that like to see showdowns. This way you have the most chances to get more money in when you hit your sets.

Either way, if you're going to 3bet preflop without much of a hand, don't do it to a guy who's going to call you a lot. Do it to tight guys who's going to fold a lot. At NL5, though, just don't do it much. I learned that the hard way. :)