This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL2-NL10] nl5 - 10,9s vs ???

• Philfox1985
      Philfox1985
      Bronze
      Figured villian had a flush draw and may fold river to the bet.

If I'm going to play this way, I guess its best to bet turn too?

Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      SB:
      $9.72
      Hero:
      $5.34

0.03/0.05 No-Limit Hold'em (5 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy.com Elephant 0.102 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is CO with J:heart: , T:heart:
      MP3 folds, Hero raises to $0.18, BU folds, SB calls $0.15, BB folds.

Flop: ($0.41) A:spade: , 7:spade: , 3:spade: (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $0.26, SB calls $0.26.

Turn: ($0.93) 2:diamond: (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero checks.

River: ($0.93) 4:diamond: (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $0.23, SB folds, Hero gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $0.93
  • 3 replies
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello Philfox1985,

Well, you can't be sure on those type of guys what they have. He may as well easily play even Ax hands this way. :) Most likely I'd just give up there. Vs such a bet he will most likely never fold any pairs, might even make hero-call with his K high.

Best Regards.
    • Philfox1985
      Philfox1985
      Bronze
      I know the general advice is not to bluff rivers, but I have found it has worked a fair bit. Its not something I have done much, but I'm always looking for spots where villian looks to be weak with perhaps a missed draw or some weak pair.

Bet doesn't have to be large, if I have read it correct villian doesn't have much he will often just give it up (I do look at the % he sees showdown for a feel of its likely success rate and won't bother if its above 35%). Bet doesn't work every time of course, probably about half the time so far, but that has still proven profitable given th bet size is usually 33 - 50% of the pot.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Well, but as you may understand that your play doesn't look strong either. If you had the Ace or any made hand then you would also bet the turn. :) So I'd most likely snap-call with any pair here and maybe even sometimes with K high. Or another possibility would be to Check/Raise vs your bet size but obviously that kind of player wouldn't do that. Your style can easily be exploitable with your bet sizes here.