UTG ($38.44)
      Hero ($10.83)
      UTG+2 ($12.28)
      MP1 ($10)
      MP2 ($9.94)
      CO ($11.67)
      BTN ($2.29)

Dealt to Hero A:diamond: Q:diamond:

fold, Hero raises to $0.40, fold, fold, fold, fold, fold, fold, BB raises to $1, Hero calls $0.60

FLOP ($2.05) 4:club: 4:heart: T:spade:

BB bets $1.10, Hero folds

BB wins $1.95

Villain played 31/14 w 2.7% 3bet over 2.1k hands

these sort of small raises from villains that rarely 3bets is often super strong range like KK+. However, I'm in position and only need to call 6bb into a 14.5bb pot. On the other hand all I can really hope for is to hit straight or flush draws, which I think I can play very profitable considering im in position and if his range is as strong as expected he is very likely to pay us if we hit.

is it a waste of money to call these small raises in position or should I start folding in these spots?
  • 2 replies
    • buzzinowt
      buzzinowt
      Bronze
      What are the stats/ tendancies of villain? If villain is tight we have little equity and will be check folding most flops anyway. If we hit an A we could be dominated (AK, AA), if we hit a Q we could be dominated (QQ+). If we hit a flush we are not likely to get paid off. Personally I find it easy to just fold PF with these types of hands unless villain is loose.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello yayasarika,

Standard fold preflop vs such a 3bet. :) Don't make such Calls while you will rarely see any worse Ax hands here and our equity is just horrible. You are way too often putting yourself into trouble.

What's your plan if you hit your Q or A? Do you ever expect to be far-far ahead?

Best Regards.