Odd or Even?

• DailyDollarPro
      DailyDollarPro
      Silver
      Interested in peoples thoughts on odd number bet sizing in MTT's. Eg, instead of betting $2000, betting $1999.

In theory the $1 difference is so insignificant that both bets should achieve the same result, but do they? Does that big tower of chips look intimidating to our opponent (increasing fold equity) or does it look more bluffy? (reducing fold equity). Does it make a difference if the villain is a fish or a solid player?
  • 4 replies
    • ZeroDegrees
      ZeroDegrees
      Bronze
      Hi ddp and big gz to your cash today!
      Got curious and looked through your posts, hence this reply. I think an odd number bet can induce both respect and be seen as weak. Have gotten more respect when betting that way. Guess you can tease some into shoving this way. I dont read anything into these bets when they get to me but 'translate' them into even numbers instead.

Enjoy this day now :s_zZz:
    • Asaban
      Asaban
      Imo those odd numbers are especially important preflop. In later tournament stages players tend to make minraises. Instead of minraising to 2000 Chips (BB1000) a raise of 2089 seems to have a lot more fold equity.

Postflop sizing is not that important from what i experienced.
    • DailyDollarPro
      DailyDollarPro
      Silver
      Interesting. I do tend to min raise in the mid and late stage of tourneys. Might give 2.09 a go. Calling a min raise from the big blind does seem significantly easier than calling 1.09bb to close the action and see a flop.

From my albeit limited experiments with odd size post flop bets, I have found them great to induce action when you have a big hand. Flop a set and villain checks to you, c-bet 999 into a 2800 pot and more often than not I will get check raised.

My theory is:

Level 0 players: don't think, it doesn't matter what you do.

Level 1 players: know that bets can be bluffs. 1,999 looks like your trying to scare me = bluff, 2000 looks easy to call = value.

Level 2 players: Are more concerned with range and board texture. It doesn't matter what you do.

Level 3+ players: Read your soul anyway. It doesn't matter what you do...
    • TheRebuz
      TheRebuz
      Platinum
      Originally posted by DailyDollarPro

From my albeit limited experiments with odd size post flop bets, I have found them great to induce action when you have a big hand. Flop a set and villain checks to you, c-bet 999 into a 2800 pot and more often than not I will get check raised.

they probably c/r cos u bet 1/3 pot and board texture not that u bet odd number