JareJae: calls $0.30

*** TURN *** [2hearts 5clubs 8clubs] [4clubs]
      HERO: bets $0.50
      JareJae: calls $0.50
      *** RIVER *** [2hearts 5clubs 8clubs 4clubs] [3diamonds]
      HERO: bets $0.98
      JareJae: calls $0.98

*** SHOW DOWN ***
      HERO: shows [7clubs 7hearts] (a pair of Sevens)
      JareJae: shows [Kspades Kdiamonds] (a pair of Kings)
      JareJae collected $3.81 from pot

*** SUMMARY ***
      Total pot $4 | Rake $0.19
      Board [2h 5c 8c 4c 3d]
      Seat 2: HERO (small blind) showed [7c 7h] and lost with a pair of Sevens
      Seat 3: JareJae (big blind) showed [Ks Kd] and won ($3.81) with a pair of Kings

My view here is pre-flop i was putting the squeeze on as i had done before trying to take down the pot, the call from the B.B i wasn't too happy about but was thinking im decent shape against any 2 random cards he has with my 7's. So flop comes and its actually not too bad at all but i prefer to take it down now which is the aim of my 30 (2/3rd's pot bet). With his call im thinking im dead to a set or hes on a draw. Turn comes and its a good card giving me a gut-shot with a flush draw so i lead again thinking its a card to bet and if he calls i can hit on the river. River comes and 1 flush and 2 straights are complete. I feel i can safely put out a bluff value bet to take down the pot and get him to fold whatever it was that he was calling with, he also didnt re-raise me once so i found that strange and made more inclined to think i was good.
      I think he played this hand quiet badly but that i should have bet stronger on the turn & river when i look back at it. This is my first post so im not sure if this is the format most people use or if its too long. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • 10 replies
    • SvenBe
      SvenBe
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      He Rossd152,

I have been copying your hand to the appropriate Hand Evaluation forum.
      You are of course invited to do this more often, our professional and voluntary coaches are eager to help you here!
      But first let me give you a warm welcome in our forum!
      You can by the way see how easy it is to copy a hand into a forum readable format: How to post a hand for discussion

For this hand: This really depends on your poker knowledge. As a beginner I'd definitively vote for the call for set value here. Even as an advanced player its a not so nice situation since most of the opponents are aware that they play in position against you.
      Now you get a coldcall and you will actually put the oponent on a guessing game: do you have 'it' or not ? It usually means KK/AA in 3bet pot. Since he opted to call, what hands is he likely to call?

a) pairs (most likely bigger ones)
      b) flushdraws?
      c) trash

I think it is clearly a+b.
      With this in mind, do you really think it makes sense to put in a 2nd barrel? I doubt so and would then just give up this hand.

For your third barrel one could argue that your oponent would probably fold 99 or TT, but those are only some combos out of his range - so again I would simply give up here.
    • rossd152
      rossd152
      Bronze
      Thank you!ya i have to start thinking more of the possible hands hes calling with. Do you think it would have worked better had i flat called his raise pre-flop and 3-barreled then?
    • SvenBe
      SvenBe
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Calling preflop can and in fact should be a valid option preflop for beginners, despite that you are in the small blind and play out of position.

But then you should always ask yourself: If you bet out, what happens with your villains hand?
      *Would he fold a better hand like TT ?
      *Would a worse hand call, like AK ?

It's neither the one nor the other ! The only thing that you achieve here is getting folds where villain would have continuation-bet against you with a worse hand, like AQ without a hit.
      My plan would have been (if everyone has 100bb stacks): call preflop for setvalue. On the flop either check/fold against a regular opponent or call flop if he is really continuation betting a lot. But I can barely recommend that because you will face ugly decissions on the turn, again - and you can surely not check/call three streets.
    • rossd152
      rossd152
      Bronze
      Ya i just got too ambitious, the 3-bet is what really messed me up so wont be doing that so much in such a situation as this.
    • UTGDog
      UTGDog
      Bronze
      the only time i would attempt a re-steal with a small pair would be if Im reraising from the SB to take down the pot preflop from someone who is regularly pressuring on the button. Any other time small pairs are simply for calling small preflop raises in position to try n hit your set. Once you attempted the re-steal and was unsuccessful by getting a caller preflop, you should immediately go into check/call mode on the flop as you are likely facing two face cards or a pair 10's or greater.

Post-flop you would have been better off by checking to see what the caller would do. More often than not, the only hands he will bet with are overpairs, or a set, excluding As. If he checks he could be holding a hand such as AQ, AK, or AA and is allowing you a chance to catch up, or is looking to catch up himself by taking a free card. In either case, you should still avoid a c-bet here as you want to maintain pot control. Your bet here doesn't give you any further information about your opponent and only makes any further betting more expensive for you, as well as making future decisions about your hand strength much more difficult. So this is a clear-cut check/fold spot. Check/call is also debatable since the board isnt overly scary and you have a second opporunity to either hit your set on the turn, or a scare card could hit which would stop any further damage to your stack.

After your bet and his call on the flop you should immediately be finished with the hand. Given his call preflop, and his call on the flop, he simply can't have a hand worse than you and you need to be prepared to muck your hand at this point. Your only option here should be to check/fold. The same is true on the river unless your hand improves to no less than a set.

This hand is a good example of a hand that went from bad to worse and could have been avoided with a little more cautious play. Unless your opponent is a maniac, the hand should always be played in the manner described above. If in fact he is a maniac, exercise some pot control by check/calling to the river if his bets are small in relation to the pot. Never build pots with weak hands. Remember the beginner articles...small pots for small hands and big pots for big hands.
    • rossd152
      rossd152
      Bronze
      Perfect answer :) ill keep this in mind when playing pocket pairs in the future. Thank you!
    • JareJae
      JareJae
      Silver
      wou thread about my hand heheee...cool reading :)
    • rossd152
      rossd152
      Bronze
      woah its u lol how random is that, u stil play on stars?same stakes or higher?
    • Maloco87
      Maloco87
      Bronze
      this is a cool hand to post as it involves a forum member that has a micro stakes blog here i lol'd lol
    • Tomaloc
      Tomaloc
      Bronze
      i once found one of my underset hands in some russian guy's blog :f_cry:

MASSIVE DERAILING