[NL20-NL50] NL25 SH - float vs thinking player

• chocular77
      chocular77
      Bronze
      No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (5 handed) - Hold'em Manager Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

UTG ($24.60)
      Hero (MP) ($60.90)
      Button ($24.80)
      SB ($27.15) VPIP: 20, PFR: 17, 3B: 6, AF: 6.9, Hands: 935
      BB ($52.10)

Preflop: Hero is MP with A, K
      1 fold, Hero bets $0.75, 1 fold, SB calls $0.60, 1 fold

Flop: ($1.75) 4, 6, Q (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $1.10, SB raises $3.50, Hero calls $2.40

He raises my cbet quite often and on this board with a call from sb i don't think he got a draw. So i floated and wanted to take away pot on turn or hit something.

Turn: ($8.75) 8 (2 players)
      SB bets $5.30, Hero folds

He continous his line and i have to give up with nothing.

Total pot: $8.75

I think this opponent is a thinking player who can do moves deep into the hand (there are hardly any others on my limits). How can i protect myself against being exploited from him in such situations? If he does it more often call turn aswell and bet on river if he checks to present a Q?
  • 5 replies
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      Hi,

Problem floating flop is that he would very often continue turn, so I would either b/f (or against player who like moves I think check behind is also fine) or 3-bet flop to 6$ that looks very strong and I think he would almost never going to shove there light.
    • JoaoMartins
      JoaoMartins
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Kaitz20
      Hi,

Problem floating flop is that he would very often continue turn, so I would either b/f (or against player who like moves I think check behind is also fine) or 3-bet flop to 6$ that looks very strong and I think he would almost never going to shove there light.
      I think that a small 3-bet on the flop will make it so that he can call with his draws, and has to shove all the monster. So, if I know that villain is c/ring me with a wide range I like to 3-bet small, fold to a shove, and ship it turn if called. Is this good?
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      Problem is that he would also very likely call your flop 3-bet his tp hands if he decides to c/r them for value and might not fold to your turn shove.
      Also he can´t really have there nut flushdraw and since you´re ahead of his flushdraws I don´t really like shoving turn with A high. If I picked up nut flushdraw I think then shoving seems more reasonable.
    • JoaoMartins
      JoaoMartins
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Kaitz20
      Problem is that he would also very likely call your flop 3-bet his tp hands if he decides to c/r them for value and might not fold to your turn shove.
      Also he can´t really have there nut flushdraw and since you´re ahead of his flushdraws I don´t really like shoving turn with A high. If I picked up nut flushdraw I think then shoving seems more reasonable.
      Even if we are ahead of the draws, we will lose the pot if we check turn, because he will almost always bet the missed draws on the river vs a turn check, and we won't like to be put it that position.

I also think it would be quite hard to play his TP hands for stacks in a single raised pot when we 3-bet flop and shove turn. I mean, if he is a thinking reg, won't he deduce that we want a call, given our small flop 3bet size?
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      If he is weak player I doubt he would bet river his missed draws, but even if he does why would we don´t want him to bluff river rather than shove ourself and forcing out worse hands. If we think he is going over the line flop c/r we have enough times there AQ+ or strong draws that we can 3-bet flop and shove turn rather than AK that like doesn´t really have too much equity if getting called.

I agree that he may fold there tp hands, but just why would we want to push him out with AK high. We can always have there hands that has a lot more equity.