[NL2-NL10] Interesting hands from 03/19 SSS Adv. Coaching

• xarry2
      xarry2
      Bronze
      Known players: (for a description of vp$ip, pfr, ats, folded bb, af, wts, wsd or hands click here)          
      keine.

5/10 No-Limit Hold'em (10 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Texas Grabem 1.9 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is UTG with Q:diamond: , Q:club:
      Hero raises to $40.00, 5 folds, CO raises to $110.00, BU calls $110.00, 2 folds, Hero raises to $382.00 (All-In), CO calls $272.00, BU raises to $886.80 (All-In), CO calls $504.80.

Flop: ($2170.60) 6:club: , K:club: , T:spade:
      Turn: ($2170.60) 7:heart:
      River: ($2170.60) 9:heart:

Final Pot: $2170.60

I recently doubled up on this table. UTG I get QQ. Now the unknown CO reraises me. I would put him on a quite tight range since I raise from UTG.
      Probably JJ+ and AK. According to pot odds I would need 44% equity against CO alone. Against his estimated range I have 47.4% Equity so a call would be profitable however with high variance since I have nothing to proove his estimated range. Imo push or fold are possible.

The situation changes totally as the 50+ Vpip BU coldcalls the raise. I have seen him making ultra loose calls before so I don't give him credit here. I treat his coldcall (almost) as dead money (I definetely have a good equity against his coldcalling range).

If I imagine a 3 Handed all-in situation I would need something like 30% break even equity. Now I just can't fold.

Nice hand :)

---------------------------------------------------------------

Known players: (for a description of vp$ip, pfr, ats, folded bb, af, wts, wsd or hands click here)       
      Position:
      Stack
      SB:
      $1.182
      Hero:
      $205

5/10 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Texas Grabem 1.9 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is CO with 7:spade: , 7:diamond:
      5 folds, Hero raises to $35.00, BU folds, SB raises to $135.00, 1 fold, Hero ???.

SB is a good regular (17/10). He will thus defend his blinds aggressive.
      According to pot odds I would need 40.8% equity in order to call.

2 Possible resteal ranges vs my CO stealraise (about 25-30% Stealrange):

1: ATo+, A8s+, KQs+, 77+

I have 41.5% Equity

2: A9o+, A8s+, KQo, KJs+, 66+

I have 45.3% Equity

Even with a higher raise to stack ratio (1:4.85) here should make a call here against an aggressive player.

------------------------------------------------------------

keine.

1/2 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with A:diamond: , Q:spade:
      2 folds, Hero raises to $8.00, MP2 raises to $25.20 (All-In), 5 folds, Hero ???.

What would you do against

a) an unknown shortstack?
      b) a SSS Player from PS?

Try to determine possible ranges for both players and then decide according to them wether to fold or push. Also keep an eye on pot odds and your raising position.
  • 3 replies
      Bronze
      Answering your question:

Against a shortstack from ps it's pretty easy: He'll raise us only with nothing less than JJ+, AK which give us 28% equity. Pot odds are 1:2.9, so it's a fold.

Unknown shortstack can be a bit looser. AQ+, TT+ gives us 34.4% equity, which is a breakeven for us, but I still tend to assume that all shorties are ps's shorties so I don't loose much... ;) Again, I would probably fold that one.
    • xarry2
      xarry2
      Bronze
      to answer the 3rd Hand:

considering our pot odds we need at least 34% equity in order to push.
      (pot odds are 25.20+8/17.20 =1.94:1 - 1/2.94 = 0.34)

as you said we have an easy fold in the first case. the SSSP will only reraise JJ+ and Ak, here we only have 28.2% equity. Remember that good SSSPs will be a lot tighter here (read the article about playing against other shortstacks). Overall an easy fold.

In the second case we face an unknown shortstack - meaning that he is not applying the SSS. In most cases these shortstacks are bad players. Sometimes you see some shorties who also play according to a strategy, but this strategy is much looser and more aggressive than the Basic SSS.
      Thus we definetely have to give MP2 more than JJ+ and Ak. I often see these shorstacks make silly (and sometimes despaired, if they lost almost their whole stack before) moves.
      A possible but even quite tight range could be 99+ and AJ+. Here we already have 42% equity. Therefore we have an easy call in situation 2.
      Bronze
      You may be right about the losseness of the non-ps short stacks. I will take it into consideration when analysing my play.

I will also reread the article about playing against other shorties. Guess I forgot a lot from it.