flat calling preflop

• DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Bronze
      i haven't read tooo much about flat calling but what are your thoughts on it? im talking nl2 - nl10 or whatever.. e.g.

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with K, Q.
      2 folds, MP1 raises to $0.12, MP2 folds, Hero calls $0.12................

stuff like this. i guess we can never be sure whether or not we are ahead of his range unless we have some nice stats on villain but generally is this a bad idea? i'm talking about hands that you would look at and think "i'll open raise" and then someone ahead of you takes initiative. do we call and evaluate the flop or do we fold and wait until we can do the open raising?

i get that it's villain dependent, position dependent and stack size dependent etc so if you have anything to say about these things then go ahead. i would like to learn more about this because i believe i could get some value from hands that usually i would just fold.
  • 5 replies
    • Kruppe
      Kruppe
      Black
      I caul.
    • JonikoP
      JonikoP
      Bronze
      Flatting an open raise is, of course, fine in a lot or circumstances. Obviously you should be more inclined to do it in position.

For example, it's good to flat small pocket pairs for set value, particularly (a) in multiway pots, and (b) when the opener is tight (so you have better implied odds). 3-betting with these hands and then having to fold to a 4-bet is a waste. Against a very wide open raise from, for example, the BTN when you're in the small blind, they are less valuable to flat with because you're out of position so won't be able to build a big pot, will have to give up a lot when you miss and you won't often get paid off by an overpair (as Villains range is weaker).

Also, you can flat with hands which are ahead of a villains opening range but behind his 4 betting range. For example, a tight player with a relatively high fold to 3-bet % opens under the gun in a full ring game - here you might want to flat with JJ-QQ, sometimes even KK (and AA in some circumstances). The reason being that if you 3-bet he will fold everything that you beat and continue with that part of his range that is ahead of you.

With AA, he might fold hands like JJ and QQ which you are way ahead of and which he will continue to bet with on low boards (this is very situation dependant and probably not something to do at the micros).

That's just a start but hopefully something to think about...
    • sanjinsanjin
      sanjinsanjin
      Basic
      I would have called the same :D
    • DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Bronze
      thanks for the feedback JokikoP.

i've found that im flat calling a lot of hands IP nowadays. for instance if i have broadways and someone raises who isn't UTG and its folded around to me i'll flat IP. is that bad? im not talking about PPs here, i mean hands like JT, QJ, KJ, AJ, AQ and sometimes even AK... if someone raises UTG and i have AK i tend to flat call cos i don't really know if i'm isolating against a stronger hand if i 3bet.
    • CheckBop
      CheckBop
      Bronze
      3bet or fold for me