lfcday

• lfcday
      lfcday
      Bronze
      Hello everyone,

I have been playing poker on and off for around 5 years, always at the micro stakes online and always very passively, mainley as a hobby when I was bored and fancied a bit of a gamble rather than anything else.

There has been a change of circumstances in my life, namely some clown thinking it was clever to aim a tackle just below my knee while playing football, resulting in some pretty bad ligament damage in my knee resulting in me not being able to play or work!

With this in mind, and as I have always loved playing poker (even if it was mainly a hobby), I have decided as I have alot of time on my hands now that I might as well give this a proper go and turn it into some sort of income, while at the same time learning to master doing something I love to do.

I have deposited $50 into my pokerstars account and hopefully will do a Jake Cody and never deposit again and become a hero (failing that learning to beat the game will do nicely!!!).

So hopefully this course will start me in the right direction for a long and successful poker career and I will get to know you guys alot more on the forums.

Cheers
      :f_cool:
  • 2 replies
    • lfcday
      lfcday
      Bronze
      Question 1: What is your motivation for playing poker?

I have two main reasons for playing poker and they are probably the same as everyone else, they are because I love the game and the posibility of the money that can be earned through playing.

Question 2: What are your weaknesses when playing poker?

Again I think my main weakness will be a common one, the dreaded 'tilt'! And the main side affect I get is tryin to chase losses playing rediculous hands and tryin stupid bluffs to do it, this is the main area of my game I am trying to combat at the moment.

I am also pretty weak at the maths involved. I understand the maths behind descisions but I struggle to put it into practice at the tables. I find fractions and ratios a little hard to get my head around so try to work out percentages instead but trying to do it mid hand usually ends up with me running out of time and having to make a quick descision!

Question 3: What does it mean to play tight aggressive?

Exactly what it says on the tin! Play a tight range of hands to give yourself easier descisions post flop, and play them aggressively.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Welcome to the Course and Best of Luck. Good job! Homework #1 Done!

Easiest way to fight against tilt is to set up stop-loss technique. Which means if you for example have lost more than 3BIs for a session then you just stop the session for some time. The BI amount is set up from your own results. Some may put it higher, some lower. Also after the stop you can spend some time with evaluation part to become better.

Most of the weakness you wrote can easily be fixed by posting hands (analyzing your session). We will start writing feedback to your play. Usually negative feedback will put you into thinking phase and trying to fix all those leaks. It's almost the same as you lose money, you will remember it more than winning part. By this situation it's gonna be that negative feedback you gonna remember and try to avoid them next time.

As you even talked about math, why not to just post hands and we will take a look at the math questions. :) Even if you are not that good in math I am pretty sure that we will be able to make it clear for you, at least the basic math.

Tight style is usually called playing selected hands. Like following the Starting Hand Chart. Aggressive should be also pretty clear that already the word says how you should be playing. But the problem playing aggressively is that you have to watch that you don't play too aggressive. Find good spots, find good targets. About The tight-aggressive strategy you can read in this article: "What is the Big Stack Strategy?"

Hopefully you will enjoy the Course. Some points earned.