pot commited ?

• roopopper
      roopopper
      Bronze
      Hello
      I keep hearing this term but dont really understand it.
      At what point do we become commited to a pot? is there a percentage of our stack that tips us over the edge and we go broke?

Roo
  • 14 replies
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Silver
      Hey Roo!

First off, I have moved your thread to it's more ideal home in Beginners Questions :)

Here's a definition on being pot-committed from our very own glossary.

Hope this was helpful,

Best wishes to you and yours,
      Gary
    • roopopper
      roopopper
      Bronze
      Originally posted by HollyMichelle
      Hey Roo!

Here's a definition on being pot-committed from our very own glossary.

Hope this was helpful,

Best wishes to you and yours,
      Gary
      Thanks Gary this is just what I was looking for :)

Roo
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Silver
      Good stuff :)

Here's a handy link for possible future reference

Glossary

Enjoy your weekend,
      Gary
    • roopopper
      roopopper
      Bronze
      you too Gary
      big thanks
      the link took me to dark tunnel bluffing made me laugh after just playing this hand to try to get my 72o sidekick badge :D

Grabbed by Holdem Manager
      NL Holdem $0.02(BB) Replayer
      SB ($2.91)
      BB ($1.81)
      UTG ($2.20)
      UTG+1 ($0.72)
      UTG+2 ($2.63)
      MP1 ($1.30)
      CO ($0.50)
      Hero ($1.55)

Dealt to Hero 7:diamond: 2:club:

fold, fold, fold, MP1 calls $0.02, fold, Hero raises to $0.06, fold, fold, MP1 calls $0.04

FLOP ($0.15) 6:heart: 4:club: 3:heart:

MP1 checks, Hero bets $0.15, MP1 folds

Hero shows 7:diamond: 2:club:

Hero wins $0.15
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Silver
      You really want that badge bro!
    • roopopper
      roopopper
      Bronze
      Originally posted by HollyMichelle
      You really want that badge bro!
      That badge has got my name all over it :s_cool:
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Silver
      Happy hunting :s_thumbsup:
    • roopopper
      roopopper
      Bronze
      I'm still a little confused with pot commited ?(

"For example, if a player has invested half of his stack in the pot and another player puts him all-in, then he will get pot odds of at least 3:1, meaning he must only win 25% of the time to break even. If there is other dead money in the pot, then his odds are even better"

How does he get 3 to 1 odds here?

I invest 1$ into the pot, villain shoves with 2$ it cost me 2$ in total to call how is this 3 to 1 ?

Also how many chips is this?
      "A player is pot committed or committed if he has already invested so many chips in the pot that he can no longer fold if he is raised all-in. "

Roo
    • Fagin
      Fagin
      Bronze
      Hi roopopper,

If you have invested half your stack into a pot eg: on NL2 you have $2 (100bb) at the beginning of the hand. You put $1 (50bb or 1/2 your stack) into the pot in one or more bets, if the other player shoves with $2 you only have $1 left to call with.

The pot would be your $1 plus his $1 (he would have to put that much in to equal your bet(s), making $2. If he shoves enough to put you all in if you call then there is another $1 in the pot you can win making a pot total of $3. If you call with your last $1 then you are getting 3:1 on your call (you can win $3 by putting $1 in the pot).

Hope this helps.
    • musashi87
      musashi87
      Bronze
      Originally posted by roopopper
      I'm still a little confused with pot commited ?(

"For example, if a player has invested half of his stack in the pot and another player puts him all-in, then he will get pot odds of at least 3:1, meaning he must only win 25% of the time to break even. If there is other dead money in the pot, then his odds are even better"

How does he get 3 to 1 odds here?

I invest 1$ into the pot, villain shoves with 2$ it cost me 2$ in total to call how is this 3 to 1 ?
      You already invested 1$ so it's dead money for you (you can't get it beck). You have just 2 options call $1(invest $1) or fold.
      You need to invest $1 to win the pot of $3 so your pod odds are 3:1

Also how many chips is this?
      "A player is pot committed or committed if he has already invested so many chips in the pot that he can no longer fold if he is raised all-in. "

Roo
      There is no straightforward answer to this question. It all depends on situation.
      You have to count your pot odds (if villain chose to go all in) and compere it to the strength of your hand.

So for example. You raised, if villain decides to go all in your pod odds will be 3:1 so you would need to win only in 25% times for the call to be profitable. Your hand would have to be really trash and not connected to the board for you to be able to fold so you can say that after the rise you are pot committed.
    • roopopper
      roopopper
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Fagin
      Hi roopopper,

If you have invested half your stack into a pot eg: on NL2 you have $2 (100bb) at the beginning of the hand. You put $1 (50bb or 1/2 your stack) into the pot in one or more bets, if the other player shoves with $2 you only have $1 left to call with.

The pot would be your $1 plus his $1 (he would have to put that much in to equal your bet(s), making $2. If he shoves enough to put you all in if you call then there is another $1 in the pot you can win making a pot total of $3. If you call with your last $1 then you are getting 3:1 on your call (you can win $3 by putting $1 in the pot).

Hope this helps.
      Thanks fagin, I think I understand now as the money I had already invested is already in the pot so to call the bet is $1 !!

The reason I'm asking this question ( and getting myself so confused :D ) Is I wanted to know if its possible to call a 3 bet pot preflop with QQ or JJ and not be over commited. At what point would i be commited to the pot?

Roo
    • Fagin
      Fagin
      Bronze
      Originally posted by roopopper

The reason I'm asking this question ( and getting myself so confused :D ) Is I wanted to know if its possible to call a 3 bet pot preflop with QQ or JJ and not be over commited. At what point would i be commited to the pot?

Roo
      If you both start with 100bb and you raise to 4bb with JJ then get 3bet to 12bb by the sb (assuming all others fold) you would have to call 8bb into a pot of 17bb (his 12, your 4 and the bb) giving you just over 2:1 on the call. This however is only part of the equation.

You would also need to have an idea of the range of hands with which that particular player would 3bet you OOP. If you were in the CO or BU then he may put you on a wide range of hands and thus his range would be wider. If however you were UTG his range would be considerably narrower.

Either way if you call the 3bet in this situation you will only have committed 12bb out of your 100bb to the pot, leaving you with 88bb (a very playable stack) and I would not say in this situation that you were pot committed.

Each situation needs to be looked at individually. I have looked at this from the point of view of cash games, things are very different in tournaments with increasing blinds, and antes.
    • roopopper
      roopopper
      Bronze
      Thanks fagin, really great reply, its given me plenty to think about :)

Roo
    • jperucao
      jperucao
      Bronze
      go go go