[NL2-NL10] NL6 77 flopped set OOP vs fish

• Fagin
      Fagin
      Bronze
      Hi this is one of the hands I marked for review today.

Pacific Poker - $0.06 NL - Holdem - 8 players
      Hand converted by PokerTracker 3

(Vpip/pfr/ag/hands)

SB: $4.31
      Hero (BB): $7.08
      UTG: $7.29 - (36/4/1/369)
      UTG+1: $5.91
      MP: $1.17
      MP+1: $6.00
      CO: $6.09
      BTN: $9.62

SB posts SB $0.03, Hero posts BB $0.06

Pre Flop: ($0.09) Hero has 7:club: 7:heart:

UTG raises to $0.18, fold, MP calls $0.18, fold, fold, fold, fold, Hero calls $0.12

He only raised 2bb so as we both have >100bb I decide to call and see a flop. With his low pfr I am putting him on a fairly narrow range JJ+, AQo+ and I am purely set mining.

Flop: ($0.57, 3 players) 7:diamond: 8:diamond: K:heart:
      Hero checks, UTG bets $0.57, fold, Hero calls $0.57

Happy days I hit my set but the K and the 2 diamonds have me slightly concerned. He bets pot and I just call, I now am less sure of what he is holding due to the size of his bet.

Turn: ($1.71, 2 players) 8:spade:
      Hero checks, UTG checks

I turn a boat and expecting him to bet I check and am surprised by his check behind, just what does he have ??

River: ($1.71, 2 players) T:diamond:
      Hero bets $1.28, UTG raises to $2.56, Hero calls $1.28

The river puts a flush out there and I decide I need to get some chips in the pot and bet out just over 2/3 pot. His min raise confuses me and still being unsure of his hand I elect to call.

I recognise that the line I took was not ideal but could anyone suggest anything else? Should I 3bet the river without too much idea of exactly where I am?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Cheers.
  • 4 replies
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello Fagin,

Rather Check/Raise right on flop, don't slowplay your hand while being OOP. If he has a hand he is going to pay you, if he doesn't he wont pay you much either.

But as played while he even has such a small PFR it's really close. He may easily even sometimes trap with Check behind on turn, for that given reason I guess taking the passive approach is fine as well and just Call.

Best Regards.
    • Fagin
      Fagin
      Bronze
      Hi, thanks for the comments.

For those who need to know the UTG fish raised with K :diamond: J :diamond: and may well have called a raise on the river. I'll never know :f_biggrin:

Cheers
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Originally posted by Fagin
      Hi, thanks for the comments.

For those who need to know the UTG fish raised with K :diamond: J :diamond: and may well have called a raise on the river. I'll never know :f_biggrin:

Cheers
      Then take a note with what he opens from UTG. :) Surprised me. :D
    • Fagin
      Fagin
      Bronze
      Note already made - I'll be looking for him again :s_wink: