trumanator7

• trumanator7
      trumanator7
      Silver
      Hello! I've played poker online for about a year now after my flatmates at university got me interested in it. I used to play on Full Tilt (with the Pokerstrategy starting bankroll) and had some moderate success with Micro limit Sit and Go's. Since about March I've not really played much poker, and generally moved from site to site, only playing a small amount before withdrawing again. Last week however, I began playing on PokerStars again, with the intention of taking poker seriously once more. I'm playing only 1/c-2/c cash, games, as I realized how much I hated the variance of SnG's. Its been an up and down week, and I realized that I am not nearly as good at cash as I'd liked to believe. So, I came here, ready and eager to learn the fundamentals of Full Ring NL Hold 'Em to give me a good base for further progression in my poker career.
  • 7 replies
    • trumanator7
      trumanator7
      Silver
      Homework-Lesson 1

Question 1
      What is your motivation for playing poker?

I enjoy playing the game and thinking about it. I like the idea of the challenge of moving up in stakes, and I want to see how far I can get in the game. Its also nice to win a little money here and there, especially when it feels like I've earned it.

Question 2
      What are your weaknesses when playing poker?

Tilting, especially if I make a mistake which leads to me losing money. Also thinking that I'm better than I am, simply because 'its microstakes, I should be crushing'

Question 3
      What does it mean to play tight aggressive?

Only playing a few hands, and taking the initiative with these hands by betting and raising.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Welcome to the Course and Best of Luck. Good job! Homework #1 Done!

Easiest way to fight against tilt is to set up stop-loss technique. Which means if you for example have lost more than 3BIs for a session then you just stop the session for some time. The BI amount is set up from your own results. Some may put it higher, some lower. Also after the stop you can spend some time with evaluation part to become better.

Well, be ready for Cash-Game variance as well. In every variant you will face some variance and you can't really avoid it. You have to figure out the best way to fight against it.

How often do you analyze your hands/sessions?

Tight style is usually called playing selected hands. Like following the Starting Hand Chart. Aggressive should be also pretty clear that already the word says how you should be playing. But the problem playing aggressively is that you have to watch that you don't play too aggressive. Find good spots, find good targets. About The tight-aggressive strategy you can read in this article: "What is the Big Stack Strategy?"

Hopefully you will enjoy the Course. Some points earned.
    • trumanator7
      trumanator7
      Silver
      Hi, thanks for the feedback. Setting a stop-loss limit will definitely help me, I always feel like I can win my money back by playing 'a few more hands', of course this is the wrong way of thinking, as I will not be playing optimal poker, due to tilt.

Yes, variance affects all forms of the game, perhaps it would have been better to say, 'I dislike the huge swings' of Sit and Go's. Although I understand that I will experience swings in cash too, I'm hoping that they won't be as extreme as they are in SnG's, where losing 20+ buy ins can be expected at times.

I often make lists of mistakes or perceived mistakes that I have made during sessions, but rarely discuss my findings with the poker community, and force myself to analyse them, which often leads to me drawing the wrong conclusions as it is very results oriented. By discussing my findings with others, I hope to refine my way of thinking.

The article you suggest is very helpful, as I often c-bet almost every flop. If I pick my spots better, I hope to improve my win rate by avoiding difficult, marginal situations. I'm sure I will enjoy the course, I feel it is exactly what I need to improve my game. Again, thank you very much for the feedback.

Lesson 2 homework coming soon...
    • trumanator7
      trumanator7
      Silver
      Homework-Lesson 2

Question 1
      What do you think you could play differently than suggested in the BSS Starting Hands Chart and why?

I think the range on the button could be much wider if it is folded to us, especially if our opponents in the blinds are tight. For example, unsuited aces and Kx suited are playable here.

Question 2
      Do you have questions about your preflop play? Post your hand for evaluation.

NL2-FR Bad c-bet with tens?

(I know it isn't preflop, but since I'm following the SHC its hard to find hands that I've made mistakes in preflop)

Question 3
      What is the equity of AKo against the top 5% range?

Equity     Win     Tie
      MP2    46.32%  37.92%   8.41% { AKo }
      MP3    53.68%  45.27%   8.41% { 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo }
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #2 Done!

About some mistakes from homework #1:
      Most of the weakness you wrote can easily be fixed by posting hands (analyzing your session). We will start writing feedback to your play. Usually negative feedback will put you into thinking phase and trying to fix all those leaks. It's almost the same as you lose money, you will remember it more than winning part. By this situation it's gonna be that negative feedback you gonna remember and try to avoid them next time.

Totally agree with you about the stealing ranges. They can be very easily be balanced with even wider range. Depending on the opponent you can as well put a wider stealing range. Against some tight opponents who give up their blinds either preflop or postflop, why not to adjust? Against some shorties you can even steal with smaller raise, for example 3xBB. But don't overdo the stealing situations. Sometimes you might just put yourself into too many difficult spots if opening with marginal hands.

About Question #3:

Equity     Win     Tie
      UTG    46.32%  37.92%   8.41% { AKo }
      UTG+1  53.68%  45.27%   8.41% { 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo }

Hopefully you enjoy the School so far. Some more points earned.
    • trumanator7
      trumanator7
      Silver
      Homework Lesson 2

Question 1

You are holding K :spade: Q :spade: What is your preflop equity against an opponent who has 3 :diamond: 3 :club: ? How does the equity change on this flop: J :spade: 5 :diamond: 3 :spade: ?

Preflop our equity is

Equity     Win     Tie
      MP2    50.78%  50.40%   0.38% { KsQs }
      MP3    49.22%  48.84%   0.38% { 3d3c }

After the flop, our equity is

Board: J:spade: 3:spade: 5:diamond:
             Equity     Win     Tie
      MP2    26.46%  26.46%   0.00% { KsQs }
      MP3    73.54%  73.54%   0.00% { 3d3c }

Question 2

No Limit hold'em $2 (9-handed)
      Players and stacks:
      UTG: $2.00
      UTG+1: $2.08
      MP1: $1.92
      MP2: $1.00
      MP3: $3.06
      CO: (Hero) $2.08
      BU: $2.00
      SB: $2.00
      BB: $1.24
      Preflop: Hero is CO with AJ
      5 folds, Hero raises to $0.08, BU calls $0.08, SB folds, BB calls $0.06.
      Flop: ($0.25) 263 (3 players)
      BB checks, Hero checks, BU checks.
      Turn: ($0.25) 5 (3 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $0.22, BU raises to $0.44, BB folds, Hero...?

Here, we are getting the odds to call. The pot is $0.91, and we have to call $0.22 more, meaning we are getting slightly better than 4:1 on our money, and have the correct odds to draw to our flush.

Question 3

Do you have questions about your postflop play? Post your hand for evaluation.

NL2-FR Raise on the flop with KK

I'm taking a few weeks off because of university and Christmas, but I aim to start putting in more volume at the start of next year.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #3 Done!

About Question #1:
      Preflop Equity:

Equity Win Tie
      UTG 50.78% 50.40% 0.38% { KsQs }
      UTG+1 49.22% 48.84% 0.38% { 3d3c }

Postflop Equity:

Board: J:spade: 5:diamond: 3:spade:
      Equity Win Tie
      UTG 26.46% 26.46% 0.00% { KsQs }
      UTG+1 73.54% 73.54% 0.00% { 3d3c }

About Question #2:
      There are several occasions on turn:
      a) If we take just odds for the FD and we take into account that all our odds are clean. Which means:
      Total Pot = $0,91 ; We have to Call = $0,22 -> According to that it means we are getting ~4,16:1 odds. For flushdraw we would need 4:1. Which tells us that we are getting perfect odds.
      b) If we consider the opponent having sets here:
      Which means we have to discount outs, for example 6 and also 3. Which means we have 7 clean outs so that means we need 6:1 odds. That tells us that we need ~$0,41 on river to make it profitable. If we expect the opponent being loose enough and being able to pay us no-matter what then we can do the Call here properly.
      c) We might even have overcards as outs or even 4 as a out:
      Although this kind of situation ain't that likely. I'd rather discount that one and either pick a) or b). Most likely towards Call.

Enjoy the off-time from Uni and Christmas. :)

You are doing great progress, keep going!