should I have seen it coming?

• zyntax
      zyntax
      Bronze
      I had pocket tens, the flop was 6 :heart: 10 :club: A :spade: I bet heavily, leading to all-but one opponent dropping out. From this I presumed they probably had an Ace.

The turn card was A :diamond: at this point I still have 130BB and they have 55BB. Seeing as I have a monster I bet 55BB, they called. they had A :club: K :diamond: the river was K :heart: so my full house suddenly lost to their full house. Should I have been more cautious on the turn card, seeing as they could have had A6 or A10?
  • 2 replies
    • purplefizz
      purplefizz
      Bronze
      hi zyntax,

was this a tourney or cash game? if tourney, how many players?
      i think you are looking for the strategy and hand discussion boards which are here: :)

NL Cash game:
      http://www.pokerstrategy.com/forum/board.php?boardid=1375

Sit n Go tournaments:
      http://www.pokerstrategy.com/forum/board.php?boardid=1375

Tourneys:
      http://www.pokerstrategy.com/forum/board.php?boardid=1499

about the hand, personally, i am willing to go broke on a flopped set, turned FH.

smiles,
      wendy
    • UTGDog
      UTGDog
      Bronze
      Originally posted by zyntax
      I had pocket tens, the flop was 6 :heart: 10 :club: A :spade: I bet heavily, leading to all-but one opponent dropping out. From this I presumed they probably had an Ace.

The turn card was A :diamond: at this point I still have 130BB and they have 55BB. Seeing as I have a monster I bet 55BB, they called. they had A :club: K :diamond: the river was K :heart: so my full house suddenly lost to their full house. Should I have been more cautious on the turn card, seeing as they could have had A6 or A10?
      In my opinion this is a spot where the hand would have played out the same way regardless. sort of like when AK or KK gets snapped off by someone with AA...the hand simply plays itself. Keep in mind that you initiated the aggression on the turn with ur FH by forcing him all-in or fold. I think that since you were sure he was holding an A and would make the call, which is what u want when you've filled up, that your play was correct and the river was just unfortunate. So no, in this particular situation I would not be afraid to get ur money in there with presumably the best hand. Its just too unlikely for him to have turned a better FH.

The only time you should proceed with caution is if you turn a FH and the turn or river could have given an opponent a stronger FH...at that point I would become extremely defensive and maybe even consider folding if I met any resistance. For example... you are hold 98 and the flop comes 88K, turn or river is a K. In that example anyone holding a K has just counterfitted your FH. Most likely you are behind and I would strongly consider check/folding in this spot if you face a bet.