% professional players

• joeldowey123
      joeldowey123
      Silver
      Hi everyone

I'm just doing some research, just for my own personal interest, on how many players, who try to become pro, actual do so!

Let admit, everyone on this site would love to do it, but only a lucky few manage to actual breakthrough and do it!

I've googled it, google scholered it, and havnt had much joy! If anyone knows of any articles or papers out there and could point me in the direction it would be great

also, for those who read this and play pro, any tips? haha :f_love:
  • 23 replies
    • KozakFB
      KozakFB
      Bronze
      Sign up for rooms where the pros aren't exactly the best in the world. Those rooms will usually have promotions to become one of their pros.

Poker770 for example has a promotion call bounty pro770 wherein if you beat their pros HU 4 times in a row you earn a sponsorship for a year!
    • joeldowey123
      joeldowey123
      Silver
      hi kozak and thanks for the reply

i dont think you quite understood my question though :)

i didnt mean to become a sponsored pro, but just what percentage of players make their living, small or large, from playing poker
    • antstruk
      antstruk
      Bronze
      I would speculate that less than 1% of poker players make their income solely from online poker. BUT I'm guessing that a much bigger percentage of poker players have poker as a secondary income to their day job.
    • joeldowey123
      joeldowey123
      Silver
      hey thanks for the reply

im looking for like articles or studies that may have taken place, not exactly sure where to try except google really
    • jimmiko
      jimmiko
      Bronze
      Haha, I think, on nl100+, 80% of the people make some secondary money from poker, but poker is not soft enough nowadays, so there are 1 out of 10000, who actually living from poker. I tell you, even high stakes pros have another incomes, they are not that fool to live from poker exclusively. Let's see Gus Hansen? Is that guy a winning poker player nowadays? No. Still, he is considered a pro poker player, and he is a millionaire.
      So if you are not a 40 kg asian, who whill grind 14 hours a day on 12 tables, for 2k$ a month, I think you won't be a poker pro. Me neither.
    • stevegold87
      stevegold87
      Bronze
      It'S a tricky question.

Basically when somebody tries to go pro, it's because he has already thought about it and that he is doing well in NL100+ or even NL50 in some countries.

In that way, I have to disagree with previous poster, people that try to become pro that had a good winning rate over 500k hands for example will probably gain his life with poker $$. Probably the success rate of 75% if he studies the game hard and keep up to date.

Then you have the SNGs players and tournament players that are still able to make a decent side salary with poker or even live with it. When they start being pro they usually also have over 10k games under their belt and they show consistent winning...the success rate should be pretty high there too.

Then you have people who are not very good and because they luckboxed 1-2 tournaments they think they can own the poker world...well that's where the 1% comes I believe hehe. No way they will make it as a pro :) .
    • patszerdonk
      patszerdonk
      Bronze
      We can only guess the answer, but I think not more than 1k players made > $50k profit/year.
    • esuohdla
      esuohdla
      Bronze
      In my experience from talking to people, pros arent that common. A fair amount of people can easily make enough to live from (say a slightly higher than average salary for their area of the world) but choose not to, rather using poker as a supplementary income to thier job. Christ, there are even supernova elites who are in full or part time work.

Pros are generally the poker players who make 6 figures per year, though even then some choose not to go pro. If you can find statistics on how many players make that much, you wont be that far off the number of pros in the world.
    • Targetme
      Targetme
      Bronze
      theres no supernova elites that have full or part time jobs. I consider someone pro who makes above minimum wage in their country.
    • MatejM47
      MatejM47
      Black
      Originally posted by jimmiko
      So if you are not a 40 kg asian, who whill grind 14 hours a day on 12 tables, for 2k$ a month, I think you won't be a poker pro. Me neither.
      If your playing that much your making way more then 2k$ a month. Your easily SNE on stars which means 100k+ from rakeback and if your even a slight winner over that kinda of volume at least another 50k from winnings. which gets it well over 10k a month.

Originally posted by patszerdonk
      We can only guess the answer, but I think not more than 1k players made > $50k profit/year.
      Anyone who can beat NL100 at 5bb can make 5k a month with rakeback. Im guessing there are way more then 1k players capable of doing that.
    • patszerdonk
      patszerdonk
      Bronze
      Originally posted by patszerdonk
      Sorry, that's a typo. I mean 10k players, not 1k.

According to fpppro.com, there are SNE' 2010: 342 (8,300 Supernovas) and SNE make over $100k from becoming SNE. So I guess about 3k-5k players make $50k or more last year at Pokerstars.

Pokerstars represent 50% of traffic so I expect there are 3k-5k players in the rest of the other rooms make >$50k, including player who are playing in multi-room.
    • Wriggers
      Wriggers
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Targetme
      theres no supernova elites that have full or part time jobs. I consider someone pro who makes above minimum wage in their country.
      Tbf I read somewhere on someone's blog last year that there is. Completely forgotten where I saw it and who it was ( :f_mad: :f_mad: ) but he worked a 9 to 5 job every day and still managed to fit in 5 hours of grinding every day to make SNE :)
    • Bigniux
      Bigniux
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Wriggers
      Tbf I read somewhere on someone's blog last year that there is. Completely forgotten where I saw it and who it was ( :f_mad: :f_mad: ) but he worked a 9 to 5 job every day and still managed to fit in 5 hours of grinding every day to make SNE :)
      Yes, there was a guy, i think he played NL100 and got 1,250,000 VPPs while having 9 to 5 job, but one thing worth mentioning is that he was sleeping ~4 hours/night almost whole year so that's 4 more hours/day compared to average sleeper.
    • Targetme
      Targetme
      Bronze
      1 tard of 250. You guys don't realize how hard it is it get sne. This coming from probably the biggest grinder in the English community (or used to be im lazy as fuck now). Its much easier to make 100k in a year grinding 3$ rebuys because its 30 cents of rake for 9-10$
    • Wriggers
      Wriggers
      Bronze
      Tbh I am aware how hard it is to get SNE, I was just saying that it has been done by someone working a full time job aswell...
    • Bigniux
      Bigniux
      Bronze
      You guys don't realize how hard it is it get sne.
      No one said that it's easy :f_confused: We just denied your statement that no one achieved SNE while having full time job :)

http://www.fpppro.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14&f=4 you can read bit more here, DannyOhBoy guy.

His typical work day:

Wake up at 5:30, arrive at work at 6:30, sleep (if very tired) during lunch from 12-1, arrive home at 3:15, feed baby, eat dinner, assist with kids homework, hang with family until 5:30, play poker til 8:00 or so, hang with family until 10:00, play until 1 or 2 am, then sleep until 5:30. On weekends, I try to play from 6 or 7 am until noon, then again from 6 or 7 am until midnight. I am a sick individual, I know.

Pretty sick, but he did that :)
    • jimmiko
      jimmiko
      Bronze
      What you don't get, is the date. In 2009, not that you had to grind less to achive sne, but you could make profit much easier, than nowadays, and it will be harder and harder in the future. Achieve SNE, what that means? Nothing. The impostant thing is, if you can make money from poker with rakeback, or not.
      and at making money I mean: you can make safe, consistent, long term money(many years, not some months), and that money is at least the same much, that you could make with another job.
    • sanjinsanjin
      sanjinsanjin
      Basic
      I agree with you completely jimmiko
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      I think being a 'Pro' is a state of mind rather than a winrate.