So, What could have happened?

• Thebridgedoc
      Thebridgedoc
      Bronze
      So. First post here but it's worth asking.

I was playing party poker tournaments $3 --- 50-man ones. For several days I could turn $40 into around $140 by just playing these tournaments. This would take 1 or 2 days. It was pretty predictable. Then around 2 weeks ago, nothing. I appear to be on a losing streak continually so I would like your thoughts.

Do you think my money making phase was JUST a phase or do you think a bad turn and a bit of varience has thrown me onto tilt.

Any thoughts?

I appreciate I haven't given that much information but any sort of overview advice is appreciated.

Thanks all.
  • 5 replies
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Hey Thebridgedoc,

Sounds to me like you've hit the negative side of variance. Playing $3 games with a bankroll of $40 is suicidal imo and you are only heading in one direction >>> busto town.

To have any idea on how positive your ROI is at any level, you will need to play at least 1k games. To do this, you would need at least the minimum of 50 Buy ins (and I would personally add another 10-20 for MTSNGs).

It's impossible to gauge whether you are playing correctly/incorrectly over a small sample of games though.

Hope this was helpful,

Gary
    • datsmahname
      datsmahname
      Global
      learn about & understand variance in poker. in the short term its a bigger factor than you imagine... and this is usually true even when you start to understand variance in poker.
    • slipkn6t
      slipkn6t
      Bronze
      results in sng/mtt do vary so much even on big samples. I wonder why people keep playing them :f_confused:
    • purplefizz
      purplefizz
      Bronze
      because it's fun! :D
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Bronze
      Hey thebridgedoc

Gary answered you pretty well i just have a question or 2 for you :)

How many games have you played? These multi table sit n go's are very high variance even the very best players of them can go for 1000+ games and only break even you really need a huge sample to see where you stand vs these games.

2nd question is do you review your game afterwards? A huge part of SnG's is mastering when to push and when to fold when you have x amount of big blinds left its a mathematical concept called ICM that factors in a number of things and helps you make the right decision you can read more of it by Clicking Me

We also have some software you can download called ICM trainer to help you master this phase of SnG's you can take a look at all our software by Clicking Meeee all the PokerStrategy.com's own software is free to download to our members obviously Holdem manager isnt :)

Hope this helps and good luck with these games in the future remember that hard work is the key to success,

All the best
      Carl