Sunday Storm AK deep

• Bubalus
      Bubalus
      Bronze
      I had a strong read about a player who had a tendency to limp/call; raise with weak aces/go broke with weak kicker 250bb deep stacks. Fish. At this situation he limped again and I held AK and made a raise. I got two calls and an all-in from this fish 250bb deep. At this moment I realized that he wouldnt make this move with extra strong hands. So I knew that I was flipping against his underpairs or was ahead against weaker aces. Little chance for him to have AA, KK. I also thought he could have AK as well. So would you flip/call in this situation?
  • 11 replies
    • edismah
      edismah
      Bronze
      definitly
      1. you have a great read, and u know u re ahead his range
      2. he's a fish
      3. its AK! :D
    • lodinn
      lodinn
      Bronze
      Assuming the reads are right, I'd call it. You don't have to worry much about chipev as i suppose this was at the very first or second blind level?
    • Atoks
      Atoks
      Bronze
      I'd fold ... no way I'm taking a flip for 250bb ... wait for a better spot later on.
    • Jan217
      Jan217
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Atoks
      I'd fold ... no way I'm taking a flip for 250bb ... wait for a better spot later on.
      not really a flip if his range includes A3 etc. I dont think its worth giving up that much EV for an even better spot when someone else will just bust the fish in the mean time anyway... I mean if there are some bubble factors to consider then yeah you can fold it, but early on assuming those reads are right Id call off.
    • Atoks
      Atoks
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Jan217
      Originally posted by Atoks
      not really a flip if his range includes A3 etc. I dont think its worth giving up that much EV for an even better spot when someone else will just bust the fish in the mean time anyway... I mean if there are some bubble factors to consider then yeah you can fold it, but early on assuming those reads are right Id call off.
      There was no talk about his range including hands like A3. The consideration here is about a flip. If someone will tell me that there's a fish which will be pushing a range of 25%+ for 250bb then I'd consider going all in PF against the guy with AK. For a simple flip u won't see me do that.
    • lodinn
      lodinn
      Bronze
      Considering the reads we were given (ace-weak kicker) etc, it's a clear call.
    • Bubalus
      Bubalus
      Bronze
      I just felt like shedding a light upon this hand:
      I am coming from stt world so when in MTT I treat my table as STT though bb wise stacks are much bigger. I knew it was a questionable situation to flip so deep stacks. I wouldnt have hesitated for a sec to put my chips in in stt with AK against a fish. To be honest my most compelling and first thought after pushing was that it was already late, I had about two hours for getting to sleep in a reasonable time. I was "worried" that if I get deep now I would have to play for long hours if I hold and therefore would be too tired to work in the morning. All that made my push easier and seemed right("It is AK after all"). So the question rises why did I start this tournament in the first place? I won a sat which automatically registered me to that tournament which had already begun. I can consider it as my first "big" tournament and I was thrilled by the prize pool. So in the end I admit that flipping so early in the tournament was wrong. But I wouldnt hesitate to try again and maybe play it "right" next time. I came here to convince myself that I made a right decision although I knew I didnt(except the reads that were true). Probably lousy excuses but true story :)
    • CollinMoshman
      CollinMoshman
      Coach
      Coach
      First, you may want to post this hand in the MTT forum here. My own thoughts though are that while flipping is one possible outcome, you want to instead think of what equity you have against his range using a program like Equilab. With 60% or higher equity against his range, it's an easy call (and you could justify a much smaller equity edge closer to 50%). Based on your read, you're dominating a lot of his range and should have high equity -- I would definitely call.
    • Bubalus
      Bubalus
      Bronze
      Thanks. I still have mixed feelings about my decision. Based on equity I guess it was right decision.

On a side note: I am reading your SnG Strategy book for the second time and its great. While most of those practice hands and situations are familiar already I find it hard to implement them to tables. More practice and consistent will to learn is the key I guess. But is there any tips how to learn to learn? Thanks.
    • CollinMoshman
      CollinMoshman
      Coach
      Coach
      Thanks. In terms of implementing the different ideas, I would recommend playing with Holdem Manager running and clicking to Mark hands where you're not sure what the best play is. Then after the session, go back and study the marked hands.
    • Bubalus
      Bubalus
      Bronze
      Thanks again.