[NL2-NL10] nl5 - 3 bet pre

• Philfox1985
      Philfox1985
      Bronze
      The villian I raised had folded 100% to 3-bets pre-flop.

Given this I raised him a few times during my session, maybe 3 or 4 times in total and he folded each time. Given that can I raise pretty much ATC until he starts to fight back, or is it good to just pick and choose spots to isolate against his raise?

Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      MP3:
      $4.17
      Hero:
      $9.6

0.03/0.05 No-Limit Hold'em (5 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy.com Elephant 0.105 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is BU with Q:heart: , J:diamond:
      MP3 raises to $0.18, CO folds, Hero raises to $0.62, 3 folds, Hero gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $0.44
  • 5 replies
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello Philfox1985,

Well, against his stack you just put yourself into trouble. What you gonna do if you hit your pair? You will rarely be far ahead since your Q or J will be dominated vs his range from MP.

If you really did 3bet him 3-4 times don't you think that at some point he will start fighting back? :) What about the guys CB frequency?

Best Regards.
    • Philfox1985
      Philfox1985
      Bronze
      I expect him to fight back eventually, but I'm not too worried about my hand being dominated post flop. If / when he calls or raises I will treat his hand range as very narrow and strong, given that I play accordingly most likely giving up unless I get very lucky.

He was raising around 20% of hands, nothing too out of line. I raised maybe 20% of the time.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Originally posted by Philfox1985
      I expect him to fight back eventually, but I'm not too worried about my hand being dominated post flop. If / when he calls or raises I will treat his hand range as very narrow and strong, given that I play accordingly most likely giving up unless I get very lucky.

He was raising around 20% of hands, nothing too out of line. I raised maybe 20% of the time.
      Well, I see PFR being 19 so I doubt that his UTG/MP range will be 20%. Of course there is a chance but most likely not enough of hands then. :)
    • Philfox1985
      Philfox1985
      Bronze
      Must be less then, I'm guesstimating!

I guess the point is how I'm trying to adjust my 3 bet range based on my opponents stats. Only really value raising against my typical opponent (50% call / 40% fold / 10% raise), but bluff raising against these tighter opponents (80+% fold).
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Originally posted by Philfox1985
      Must be less then, I'm guesstimating!

I guess the point is how I'm trying to adjust my 3 bet range based on my opponents stats. Only really value raising against my typical opponent (50% call / 40% fold / 10% raise), but bluff raising against these tighter opponents (80+% fold).
      Well, I am not saying that it's wrong to go even for the fold equity. If you really think he is folding so often to 3bets then sure we can pick such a line. But usually his open from that position will be more stronger and whichever hand Calls you, your hand will be dominated.