[NL2-NL10] NL2 FR - AK in big 3-way pot

• numbnutter
      Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.01/$0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (7 handed)

Known players:
      MP2 (Hero):

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with A, K.
      MP1 folds, Hero raises to $0.08, MP3 folds, CO calls $0.08, BU folds, SB calls $0.07, BB folds.

Flop: ($0.26) 5, T, K (3 players)
      SB bets $0.18, Hero raises to $0.44, CO calls $0.44, SB calls $0.26.

Turn: ($1.58) 8 (3 players)
      SB checks, Hero checks, CO checks.

River: ($1.58) J (3 players)
      SB checks, Hero checks, CO raises to $1.50(All-In), SB calls $1.35(All-In), Hero folds.

Final Pot: $4.43.
      Results follow:

CO shows a pair of jacks(J Q).
      SB shows a pair of kings(Q K).

CO wins with a pair of jacks(J Q).
      SB wins with a pair of kings(Q K).

First, am I okay to raise on the flop for protection? SBs donk was a little confusing - I guessed he had probably hit the king here but didn't want to just call and give CO decent odds to draw.
      When they both call i'm even more confused and decide to just check down for pot control. Can I ever call on the river with TPTK? Both villains were totally unknown to me and I was a little scared of a slowplayed set here.
  • 1 reply
    • veriz
      Hello numbnutter,

If you are raising for value on the flop then most likely you should also consider shipping the turn while there are just so many cards which we don't want to see. Rather just Call the flop and play for pot control than play 3bet/Broke here while being in multiway pot.

Also your raise size doesn't protect much, you are giving them good odds even to Call with any draw. Pot size raise would be $0,80, so I'd base according to that, at least $0,70!

Best Regards.