follow BR Strategy

• Cardbender
      Cardbender
      Bronze
      So I learnt a valuble lesson yeasterday. (follow the BR management strategy)

I built up my 13$ to 65$ yeasterday and lost almost all of it in one hand.

my cards AQ Spade

flop J K 4 Spade

3 pl call my 2$ pre flop raise

after flop i raised 5$ 1 fold 2 calls (1 has 30$ in chips other has 70$) i have 60$

next turn card 10 Diamond

I raise 25$ I get 2 calls

next turn card 10 Club I'm almost pot commited so I go all in with nut flush.

first player (30$) shows 4 10 full house
      second player (70$) shows K 10 full house

did I play this wrong?

Yours Truly: CardBender420
  • 6 replies
    • asgeir89
      asgeir89
      Bronze
      I don't know about that but man o man it would have been nice if the river would have brought a 10 of spades... But thats not really here nor there :tongue:
    • Cardbender
      Cardbender
      Bronze
      y the other guy had it :(

Hoppy Easter :D :D
    • SoyCD
      SoyCD
      Bronze
      I think the most important lesson here is that you need to follow Bankroll management. If you are playing with your entire stack at one table it does not matter how perfectly you play because one bad beat - or one cooler is enough to go broke.

Lets say you sit down and have AA in the big blind. Before you 2 people go all-in for their entire stacks... you call. You play completely correctly since you have 70% equity vs 2 players with random card combinations. Therefore a call is definitely +EV. As it turns out the MP midstack had pushed over a loose UTG raiser + caller with QQ and the larger stackin the button who has you covered had re-pushed with KK. Neither of them played wrong either.

You call and lose when the bigger stack hits a King on the turn. But hey you had 67% equity against their cards - which isn't 100% so of course you can lose. In fact you do so 33% of the time.

In the longrun you are definitely winning though. But for you there is no long run since you played above your Bankroll - and are now broke - without having made any mistakes except for playing above your bankroll.

Had you played with 20-50 stacks - you would simply re-buy and keep on playing - knowing that situations like these are normal in poker :)
    • chenny8888
      chenny8888
      Bronze
      when KK running into AA becomes that common in poker, perhaps i will stop ;) .
    • SoyCD
      SoyCD
      Bronze
      Originally posted by chenny8888
      when KK running into AA becomes that common in poker, perhaps i will stop ;) .
      Ive actually lost 6 Stacks in AA vs KK situations in the course of a 2K hand session once :)
    • chenny8888
      chenny8888
      Bronze
      only 6 times? that's not common at all! ;)