[NL2-NL10] What to do after double up?

Bronze
      Known players: (for a description of vp$ip, pfr, ats, folded bb, af, wts, wsd or hands click here)         
      Position:
      Stack
      Hero:
      $50.92
      Hero$50.92
      0.50/1 No-Limit Hold'em (10 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Texas Grabem 1.9 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with A:heart: , A:club:
      UTG folds, Hero raises to $6.00, 8 folds.

Final Pot: $7.50

Let me post this hand to start a discussion about the play after double-up. Do you tighten up or maybe loosen up? At the example hand I raised 6BB instead of 4 to reduce variance. I'm wondering if such a play can be marked as +EV or maybe rather -EV.

I would like to see some of you sharing experience about the play after double-up.
  • 4 replies
    • erob60
      erob60
      Gold
      Raising strongly with aces is never -EV. Either you pick up the blinds or the opponent puts money into the pot when they are way behind.

Unless you are confident about playing other hands with a mid-stack (not usually advisable), its probably just best to play AA and KK (and play them aggressively).
    • xylere
      xylere
      Bronze
      erob60 explained it well.
      With 40BB stack you will give opponents higher implied odds, so their mistakes will be cheaper. Also, more players know how to adjust against a midstack.

I would play
      early: JJ+, AK
      Middle: TT+, AK, AQs maybe
      Late: everything that i like :D
    • xylere
      xylere
      Bronze
      forgot to mention, that betting less with AA to decrease variance is extremely weak-tight approach :)
      Bronze
      Originally posted by xylere
      forgot to mention, that betting less with AA to decrease the variance is extremely weak-tight approach :)
      ? Do you mean 'more'? And yes, i thought so ;) . But it stays in rough contradiction to what erob said ;) .