Buy in's

• rgrantos
      rgrantos
      Bronze
      Hi,

Just been watching the video on BRM and it says that you should always buy in for 100 big blinds which I agree 100% if not if possible buy in for 150 big blinds. The part of the video i do not fully agree with is that you need 25 buy ins at 100 big blinds per level

Example:

playing at a 0.05 / 0.10 pence table you need to have £250 min

if you where to move in to 0.10 / 0.20 pence you would have to have £500 min

do you feel this is to high - before reading this information i would play at the 0.10 - 0.20 pence tables with a £200 bank roll.

Thoughts please??
  • 7 replies
    • jimmiko
      jimmiko
      Bronze
      Go on. We won't order not to!
    • Tosh5457
      Tosh5457
      Bronze
      It's standard, for shorthanded I even use 30 buy-ins. If you used 10 buy-ins before you weren't aware of the variance of poker, and how you can easily lose 10 buy-ins even if you play well (your risk of ruin is too high).

You can calculate the risk of ruin (probability of losing everything). For a winrate of 3BBs/100, standard deviation of 50BBs/100 (usual for full ring cash games) the risk of ruin is almost 9.07%. Quite high in my opinion. With 25 buy-ins it goes to 0.25%!

If you accept that you have a 9% chance of losing your bankroll then fine, you can play with 10BIs. But you must be sure you have atleast a winrate of 3bbs/100, which isn't easy when we're still learning.

Risk of ruin calculator
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Hi rgrantos,

It all depends on your skill level and comfortability factor. The BRM material is aimed at beginner players or players who had not been previously aware of the idea of BRM.

I would still suggest that 99% of members stick to the BRM guidelines as it provides a safe net for everyone from going broke.

At the end of the day, it is down to you on a personal level, with what you feel most comfortable with.

Kind regards,
      Gary
    • rgrantos
      rgrantos
      Bronze
      Hi, thanks for the information and thoughts. The risk of ruin calculator web site is a very good site and kit to use. I will be sticking to the BRM system, however i may downgrade it to 20 buy in's.

see you at the tables,

RG
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Bronze
      Good luck rgrantos,

BRM is super important to all players specially beginners.

Make sure you keep popping back to the forums and letting us know how you're doing :)

Carl
    • esuohdla
      esuohdla
      Bronze
      Originally posted by rgrantos
      Hi,

Just been watching the video on BRM and it says that you should always buy in for 100 big blinds which I agree 100% if not if possible buy in for 150 big blinds. The part of the video i do not fully agree with is that you need 25 buy ins at 100 big blinds per level

Example:

playing at a 0.05 / 0.10 pence table you need to have £250 min

if you where to move in to 0.10 / 0.20 pence you would have to have £500 min

do you feel this is to high - before reading this information i would play at the 0.10 - 0.20 pence tables with a £200 bank roll.

Thoughts please??
      For higher limits I would be even more conservative than that, as you will be looking for thinner and thinner value spots, and thin value is naturally high variance
    • MatejM47
      MatejM47
      Black
      Originally posted by rgrantos
      Hi, thanks for the information and thoughts. The risk of ruin calculator web site is a very good site and kit to use. I will be sticking to the BRM system, however i may downgrade it to 20 buy in's.

see you at the tables,

RG
      20BI's is more then fine for micro's if you think you have a decent edge, but once you get to low and midstakes i think going for 100BI's is pretty standard for most regs.