Poker Labtop

• antstruk
      antstruk
      Bronze
      Hey Pokerstrategists,

Im purchasing a labtop this weekend and Im not sure what brand to buy. I will also be needing it for university. Any sudgestions? If you guys know of any good ones that work for Poker and School please post a link and price or post the one you are currently using. May the labtops be <$1000

Thanks!
  • 24 replies
    • Bubalus
      Bubalus
      Bronze
      1) HP PROBOOK 4530S with the following configuration:
      15.6" HD LED (resolution 1366x768)
      Intel Core i5 2430M
      4GB DDR3 1333 MHz
      640GB hard drive
      AMD Radeon HD 6490M
      Battery up to 6h (enough for school; expect something like 4.5h when display brightness turned to half and Wifi on)
      Around 2.5kg

Price depends where you live and where to buy. But should be under 1000$

2) Lenovo X220 with the following configuration:
      Core i3-2350M (probably i5 series wont fit in the budget)
      12.5" Display
      4 GB DDR3 - 1333MHz
      320 GB Hard Disk Drive, 5400rpm (ssd would be preferred)
      Expect some amazing battery life with this model - over 7h
      Weight 1.6kg!

Price around 800$

Note that with lower display resolution like 1366 X 768 or similar you are able to play 4 tables without overlapping. Even then you have to reduce table sizes significantly and tables look quite small. With 1-2 tables it is not important.

In general you cant go wrong with HP Probook, Elitebook series. Lenovo T, X series. Dell XPS, Precision series. You could post some of your local electronic stores so that it would be easier to choose.

Cheers
    • antstruk
      antstruk
      Bronze
      Wow thanks! Im Canadian so I usually just head down to the USA to buy my big purchases ( it's always cheaper and less tax) so my stores would be Walmart, Bestbuy, Costco, Target and any other super chain companies you could think of. Yea the lenovos look sick, how many tables can I fit into a 1080p screen?
    • Bubalus
      Bubalus
      Bronze
      You mean Full HD resolution of 1920x1050? I estimate 6 tables without overlapping and 9 with some overlapping. I browsed through Walmart, Costco, Bestbuy and couldn´t find almost any laptop with Full HD screen except http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sony-15.5-500-GB-VPCSE1DGX-B/17771213 though I know nothing about this model.

I realized one thing. As most of the laptops those stores offer are cheap they also feel like crap :) Even for a 1000$.

I would personally order something from official Dell (XPS 15 or 17) or Lenovo shop (T520). Believe me those prices are cheap. In Europe prices are the same but in euros:) For a 1000$ you can hardly get something good imo. I can customize one for 999$ with some minor drawbacks. Optimal price is probably around 1200$. As I understand you want a multimedia laptop and weight is not that big issue? How 2.5kg sounds? Carrying it in your back pack shouldn´t be a problem.

Verdict: If you: are serious about multitabling and want to do it comfortably/ also want to watch HD movies/Play some games/dont want to worry about something braking up/want quality and good performance/ are taking your purchase as an investment to quality then it comes with a price.
    • antstruk
      antstruk
      Bronze
      Okay thanks for the sudgestions! What do you think of the lenovo l412?
    • dragan2171
      dragan2171
      Gold
      fuck the school, fuck the poker, fuck the laBtop.
      cultivate the flowers.
      :D
    • antstruk
      antstruk
      Bronze
      Originally posted by dragan2171
      fuck the school, fuck the poker, fuck the laBtop.
      cultivate the flowers.
      :D
      Nah no money in flowers all the dasies are solid
    • Bubalus
      Bubalus
      Bronze
      Originally posted by antstruk
      Besides average battery life of 3.5h it is ok. You can also check Lenovo Edge and Ideapad series.

Choose something for your liking and I will give you my opinion if it is worth its price.

One tip: Whatever you choose, buy 3 years of warranty! It will save you in the future.
    • dydukas
      dydukas
      Platinum
      Hey, I have some questions about laptops too, so not to create a new thread I'll post here.

1. Are there dual hdmi video cards for laptops?
      2. Is SSD possible in laptop?

I've done a quick search for a laptop for me but didn't find any of those features anywhere. :/
    • antstruk
      antstruk
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Bubalus
      Originally posted by antstruk
      Besides average battery life of 3.5h it is ok. You can also check Lenovo Edge and Ideapad series.

Choose something for your liking and I will give you my opinion if it is worth its price.

One tip: Whatever you choose, buy 3 years of warranty! It will save you in the future.
      Im thinking of getting this one:http://www.bestbuy.com/site/HP+-+Pavilion+Laptop+/+Intel%26%23174%3B+Core%26%23153%3B+i5+Processor+/+17.3%22+Display+/+8GB+Memory+/+750GB+Hard+Drive+-+Dark+Umber/3440705.p?id=1218402885328&skuId=3440705

Opionions?

Or this: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Toshiba+-+Satellite+Laptop+/+Intel%26%23174%3B+Core%26%23153%3B+i7+Processor+/+17.3%22+Display+/+6GB+Memory+/+750GB+Hard+Drive+-+Platinum/3438847.p?id=1218402131159&skuId=3438847
    • Bubalus
      Bubalus
      Bronze
      Older HP Pavilions became notorious for breaking up so easily. Newer ones are probably much better (though they need to gain a trust). Satellite has much more processor power than Pavilion. Pavilion has a better build quality. BUT: If you plan to carry your notebook with you a lot, 3-year Warranty is strongly recommended! As for those two I would take Pavilion. As for personal opinion I would not take neither of those :)
    • Bubalus
      Bubalus
      Bronze
      Originally posted by dydukas
      Hey, I have some questions about laptops too, so not to create a new thread I'll post here.

I've done a quick search for a laptop for me but didn't find any of those features anywhere. :/
      Hi. I cant confirm it 100% but probably a laptop with 2 HDMI output ports(to connect with TV or monitors) wont excist. And if it does excist it wont be cheap. Most common is to use HDMI for one monitor and DVI(normal connection) for second monitor. For a second HDMI you can use docking station with HDMI output or HDMI splitter!
      As for SSD it is possible and very common nowadays :) But beware that not every SSD fits to every laptop(if you want to change your hdd for ssd).

Edit: Yahoo Answers confirmed 2xHDMI don`t excist.
    • dydukas
      dydukas
      Platinum
      Originally posted by Bubalus
      Originally posted by dydukas

Hi. I cant confirm it 100% but probably a laptop with 2 HDMI output ports(to connect with TV or monitors) wont excist. And if it does excist it wont be cheap. Most common is to use HDMI for one monitor and DVI(normal connection) for second monitor. For a second HDMI you can use docking station with HDMI output or HDMI splitter!
      As for SSD it is possible and very common nowadays :) But beware that not every SSD fits to every laptop(if you want to change your hdd for ssd).

Edit: Yahoo Answers confirmed 2xHDMI don`t excist.
      Won't I get cloned view in I connect 1 to HDMI and another to DVI?
    • Bubalus
      Bubalus
      Bronze
      I asked about this question. It is possible if you have a docking station that support DVI/HDMI and VGA AND your laptop lid is closed.

DVI port looks like this: http://wiki.wifi.ee/images/b/bc/Dvi_pesa.jpg

Ordinary VGA port: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Vga-cable.jpg

If you really need 2 or more monitors, PC is your best bet.
    • Bubalus
      Bubalus
      Bronze
      @ OP: have you chosen something?
      @Dydukas: If you are planning of buying a laptop maybe I can help.

It would be a good idea to make a sticker about this thread in general. Though I am afraid I would not make it on my own.
    • dydukas
      dydukas
      Platinum
      Yeah I am and any help would be much appreciated.

And until buying I have a little off topic question for you. I burned my last usb port (accidentally touched power supply cord to it, then smoke, smell, etc). Are they fixable?
    • Bubalus
      Bubalus
      Bronze
      Difficult and unlikely. USB is connected to the motherboard and to get to it you would basically have to mount your laptop apart. You could get it to workshop but I dont believe it is worth its price. There are external usb hubs for sale you can use.
    • dydukas
      dydukas
      Platinum
      Yeah but what would I connect that hub to? I don't have any usb ports left. :D

EDIT: I only have this weird connection left. Just made a picture.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    • Bubalus
      Bubalus
      Bronze
      Good point. You cant if it was your last. But no idea what kind of port is this :P Seems like some kind of port that is not used nowadays. As I can guess by this picture your laptop comes from Stone Age or something. So hopefully not a big damage to your wallet for blowing that last usb :D
    • dydukas
      dydukas
      Platinum
      Yeh it's 7 years old already. :D But worked fine till I blew all usb ports and now it's useless without a mouse... :(