I am at a loss of words for my play

• vincemcnab
      vincemcnab
      Bronze
      I got the $50 and was very excited. I started playin in higher limits that i should have. I was down to about 15 or so when i took 2nd in a $3 tourny. I continue to play tournies and do decent in them. Sometimes i would gamble a lot and try $20 tournies/sng's. They never ended well. Yesterday afternoon, i decided to play some. So i did a $2 tourny. I placed second for $75. I was up to $195. Sweet, right?. So i let myself celebrate by doing some risky stuff. I tried a $3 rebuy sattelite to the Fifty/Fifty. I invested $12.30 in it and took 18th-----14 get seats. Then i busted in a few other tournies leaving me with $156. Not bad at all! At this point i decided to take a break and watch a movie and TV. As i was walking up the stairs of my house, i had a choice to turn left to play poker, or turn right and go to bed. At this point i decided to play poker. I bought into a $10 tourny and for a reason not known to me, i put $50 on a table. I played the $10 decently but wound up losing. I took the $50 to $85 but then i played oAK terribly against QQ-----leaving me with $3. Now i had like $83 left. But my mind was broken. I was about to put myself on 12 hour exclusion so i wouldnt do any stupid crap. But i decided not to. In a rage of tilt i joined a $55 sng and a $22 sng. I wound up busting out of the $55 sng when i pushed with KK on a flop of J 10 4 and KQ called and hit river 9. Soon after i busted out of the $22 with KK vrs AA. Then i did 30 day exclusion because i didnt even know what i was thinking. Im looking at $6.55 left and $20 that can still be released and 500 ftp. I mean im a decent tourny player---i did really well in some of my games-- I double cashed the early double once with a 27th in one of them. I just dont understand how dumb i can be sometimes. If i didnt buy into anything under $5 i would probably be over $300. But this one mistake leads to others and bam, im here and i dont know what i should do. THank you very much if you decided to read this whole story.-----please leave a response
  • 11 replies
    • Cardbender
      Cardbender
      Bronze
      I hear you. I have done the same thing. I think we should stop being gamblers and become poker players! :D

I came 60th yeasterday (50$) in the 20K and lost it all in 1 hand.

My problem is between school and poker I dont have time to read and learn all the poker strategies!

I have just been consentrating on getting to gold status so I can read them when I have time in the future.

I also have been taken down with consecutive bad beats and tilted almost all my money away each time. Now I have deposited for a second time arg! first was 40 and now another 40. I should not deposit concidering im a poor student!

I am just going to play it safe from now on and stick to the rules.

*Its hard to stick to the rules when double points are up for grabs so you want to get involved with alot of pots.

Good Luck in the future vince

CardBender420

Hoppy Easter "Boing" "Boing" "Boing" :D
    • vincemcnab
      vincemcnab
      Bronze
      Thanks man, I wonder if I'll be able to come back from $6.55 when i can in 30 days
    • thunderbird56
      thunderbird56
      Bronze
      Hello vincemcnab,

I have some tips for you:

Take some rest.

Re-read our articles, watch some videos and coaching, and post as many played hands as you can.

Make some Guerilla Marketing and earn some money with our TAF program.

Re-start your career.

Hope to see you at the tables again soon!
      thunderbird56
    • vincemcnab
      vincemcnab
      Bronze
      Im going to go back to my hand history and find key mistakes i make often. Should i post them seperately or in one post?---I got 30 days to learn from my mistakes
    • thunderbird56
      thunderbird56
      Bronze
      You should post each hand per thread. It's easy for us to evaluate them.

Best regards,
      thunderbird56
    • vincemcnab
      vincemcnab
      Bronze
      I appreciate you reading my post, I know making it long seemed a bit intimidating, I'll find some important hands that can be evaluated. As much as I think I am a good player, some of the hands i post will inevitably be emberassing to post. But it will help me find the cracks in my system. Thank you again. I'll find some good hands to post
    • Cardbender
      Cardbender
      Bronze
      Originally posted by vincemcnab
      Thanks man, I wonder if I'll be able to come back from $6.55 when i can in 30 days

yes it is possible
    • DE4DLY
      DE4DLY
      Bronze
      Good luck! :D
      I have been rebuilding my bankroll from $14 by playing VERY CAREFULLY on FL 0.05/0.10.
      I am not that good a player but by selecting tables and leaving if there is someone at a table who is definitely on top of me then it seems like it is working.

Well I am up to over $20 but it has taken over 8000 hands. Like I said I am not a good player but I am learning and improving.
      My point is that if you are careful enough and not very unlucky then even a $6 BR can be fairly safe if you don't take silly risks and stick to the SHC.
      this may not be the right advice to you but it is working for me.
      I will stick to BRM and make lots of money when I have a good game on me.
      Until then it is Slow but Sure.
      Anyway, I Wish you the best of luck! :)
    • Nrkah
      Nrkah
      Bronze
      been there done that I know how you feel. the psyhological side of poker is the hardest thing to master and pretty much if it dosent come right now it comes after though losses and busto. Incase you competive to learn from your mistakes. Its a matter of disicpline mate and run of luck and with a small roll its rather better to buy smaller-buy ins then the one's you can actually afford. by that i mean if you get run of bad luck and you can't quit playing poker atleast play on the lowest limits as possible. Look at yourself after thouse beats and think are you still caple of playing your "A" game? or you end up making strong moves in a wrong time and are half-tilting already? if you are its time for a break for sure or you end up losing it all if you wont be controling your game play.

the biggest problem you did was going to hope to get lucky on "higher buy-in sngs" wich completly crashed your roll.

take a break.

best way if you collect some money first atleast a ~200 deposit where you were swinged off. why 200 instead of 50? because part of me bealives you wanna grind up to 200 again like you used to do before and you gonna lose a little patience due that. but thats just me. re-start your career and try to control your game more. perhaps less strong moves against everyone and find a place to grind first against weaker opponent with stronger odd`s and easier cash. The bigger roll you have the bigger confidence you'll be having. its simple. You will play better just follow the rules. do not climb in stakes hoping to get lucky and if you really do wanna do this, then do it once and if the luck smiles at you, quit after double up do not stay in the table to get some more. Unless you feel like having an hudge edge over some players at the table. even than i wouldnt recommend to stay, because even a bad player can hit a strong hand and you'll be underasting them and overplay your hands being a underdog instead of a winner. (Done that, not a good idea)
      I wish you the best. I know lots of players who are great players. Or who been great players. but been going busto just cause of lack of disicpline and ending up in tilt. as i mentioned before "psyhological side of this game" is far the most importand thing to learn im still having hard time with that myself sometimes but i feel im getting better at controling it
      My skills at poker havent really fail me. (perhaps a bad read sometimes or underasting a bad player being on adrealine and tilt after some hard losses and ending up overplaying my hands) but never cause i've been outplayed bad or can't handle the limit i play. but due the lack of selfcontrol.
    • roshe40
      roshe40
      Bronze
      It is really important to get control of your compulsive behaviour when you decide to play poker. The impulsive decision TO play and the choices of games you play ultimately will lead to impulsive (and all too often incorrect in hindsight) decisions WHILE you are playing poker.

Being in a sound frame of mind BEFORE you actually play is absolutely essential in order to achieve long term success in poker. If you can refrain from playing when you are tired and/or hungry would be a good place to start. Such sound decisions before you play will eventually lead to more sound decisions being make while you play. Best of luck to you.
    • SoyCD
      SoyCD
      Bronze
      Hi vincemcnab,

I hope you have started to understand why bankrollmanagement is so important. It does not matter how perfectly you play - it does not matter how good you are - if you play above your bankroll you face the risk of going broke.

While I suggest you post hands, read articles, watch videos and visit coachings, I even more strongly suggest you work on your discipline at playing at the level of your bankroll. You need a buffer which can absorb the variance. A good cashgame poker player will never hesitate to put his money in the middle if he knows he is 70% favorite to win. But even so he will lose 30% of the time e.g. he loses 3 out of 10 times. If he is playing above his bankroll (like you did with only 3 buy-ins of the limit) and these 3 times happen in succession of one another - but he put his entire bankroll on the line - he is now broke. Even if he played correctly.

Best regards,
      SoyCD