[NL2-NL10] Hand Evaluation Coaching - Homework #9 22.11.11

• veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello PokerStrategists,

as some of you may have heard that we have a homework in each of our No-Limit Hand Evaluation Coachings.

Here is the homework for the coaching from Nov 22nd, please note:

• Everybody is invited to share his thoughts here regardless if you joined the last coaching or not.
      • Whoever is active in the homework threads can get a free database analysis by us which helps you to improve your game.

Find the hand below waiting for you opinions and analysis posted in this thread. Furthermore do not forget to join our next coaching on Tuesday, November 29th at 6 PM GMT.

Poker Stars $25.00 No Limit Hold'em - 8 players -

BTN: $9.50
      SB: $30.87
      BB: $25.00
      UTG: $22.74
      UTG+1: $19.75
      MP1: $51.50
      MP2: $25.00
      Hero (CO): $31.97

SB - 32/12

Pre Flop: ($0.35) Hero is CO with 7 :heart: 7 :club:
      1 fold, UTG+1 raises to $0.75, 2 folds, Hero calls $0.75, 1 fold, SB calls $0.65, 1 fold

Flop: ($2.50) 8 :spade: 3 :heart: 7 :diamond: (3 players)
      SB checks, UTG+1 checks, Hero checks

Did not want to scare away AT+ on the flop

Turn: ($2.50) T :club: (3 players)
      SB bets $0.50, UTG+1 calls $0.50, Hero raises to $2.50, SB raises to $5, UTG+1 folds, Hero raises to $31.22, SB calls $25.12 all in
  • 3 replies
    • chocular77
      chocular77
      Bronze
      PF: absolutely fine
      F: No cbet from PFA. Bet ~1,8 to get the pot bigger + don't let someone draw to str/gutshot. SB has passive tendency so he could still call with a wide range of hands. + You don't get much credit for betting in those spot.
      It's always a pity if everybody folds on such a flop but it's better then loosing your whole stack to a 4outer.

T: Since SB should be passive and he minB/minR this could mean his hand is very strong, maybe he doesn't even play like this with just TP.
      He could have Sets, 2P (T8?), 9J or 96s for a str, or just TP.
      If i know how SB plays TP hands i could make an easier decision.
      But with only stats i would just call since it's a wa/wb situation. +can even draw cheaply to a full.

On River if:
      blank comes and he bets just call
      blank comes and he checks bet ~8
      9 comes just check it down
      full comes he bets shove
      full comes he checks bet pot
    • SPeedFANat1c
      SPeedFANat1c
      Gold
      Preflop - easy call for set value.

Flop - I think we have to bet to build the pot with our monster hand and protect against draws and get value from any other weaker hands. I think we can bet there big, 2$ is probably ok. If they have a draw, they should call.

Turn is ugly - now some draws are completed and SB suddenly starts to show aggression out of nowhere. Might be that he had a straigth draw on flop, but also he could have 88, 87. So I am not sure if we can go allin. By doing this, we don't make better hands to fold. 33 might call, also 87 might call, but the question is if he is so aggresive with 87. There are some other hands which would not get away - T7, T8.

One posible move could be to call after he raises to 5$ for pot control. Oh, we are even 125bb deep, so I guess call is better and hope to hit a fullhouse on the river, or hope that he will bet small ammount which we can still call.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello,

Preflop: Most likely there is no other way to play the hand here than just Call and play for the set value. Why should we even raise vs UTG while we have the position on him? :)
      Flop: Don't really like the idea of Checking here ever. Standard spot to just Bet it and get value from draws, weaker hands. We need to protect our hand. At the same time we don't want so many cards to appear which could complete a straight. Huge leak and not the greatest spot to slowplay.

As played
      Turn: Usually they are taking such a line with very strong hand, especially when they are trap-min-betting and then 3betting like that. It's often times a sign of very strong hand. Doubt that he would even play this way 2pair type of hands. Rather sets and a lot better sets are possible, just one what we beat is 33. Also couple of straights are possible. So I don't like that much the 4bet. But before we come to that we should talk about raising on the turn at all. Most likely I'd still raise bigger ~$4 and protect our hand. And as we get raised rather take the odds and hope to hit on the river your FH or anything similar and reevaluate most likely on further action. Going broke in long run most likely ain't gonna win you money.

Best Regards.