Alvan85

• 9 replies
    • Alvan85
      Alvan85
      Bronze
      Question 1: What is your motivation for playing poker?
      My motivation lies alot in the competetive aspect of the game.
      Ive always been interested in games/sports where I get to test my skill against other opponents.
      What I mean by that is that Im not the kind of guy that likes to play single player games, I need the excitement of competing against others.

I think its a very interesting game that looks very easy on the surface but is so much more rich than you could first imagine, once you really try to understand it.

My goal is to have poker as a part time job, not because of the extra money (although it help ;) ) but because it would be so very cool to have a hobby that both is a source of income and a passion.

My dream is to have poker as my full time job.
      My motivation is very very high and right now im spending all my free time on reading up on theory and watching coaching sessions etc

Question 2: What are your weaknesses when playing poker?
      I am an emotional person and i think i am able to tilt whithout noticing it, for instance after a bad beat.
      At first I thought tilting was easy to recognize, like someone smashing their keyboard in the wall or something :)
      But since I found out that tilt can be as subtle just as changing the way you play because of a bad beat for instance, i realized that I need to watch myself more carefully in moments like that.

My other weakness is that I overvalue the strengths of my hands, which makes me go to showdown with weaker hands than my opponents. I seem to think they are bluffing me more often than they acctually are.

Math is not something I am very good at so counting odds & outs is hard for me, especcially in a pressured situation.

Another weakness (which I think is because its all so fresh and new for me still) is that I tend to become too pumped up before a session so Im making strange decisions just because I am excited to play.

Question 3: What does it mean to play tight aggressive?

To play tight/agressive is simply to play strong hands and play them aggressively. That means that us that are playing TAG is supposed to be in charge of a pot and we want our aggression to force the opponents to make mistakes, like calling when they shouldnt, folding when they shouldnt and so on.
    • Alvan85
      Alvan85
      Bronze
      Question 1: What do you think you could play differently than suggested in the BSS Starting Hands Chart and why? (Are there any hands you would play differently? Do you have a problem or question about how a specific hand or hands should be played?)

- I am going to 3bet and blindsteal more loose than what the chart suggests.
      I am going to adapt to the playing styles on the tables and for example cbet the weak players and never bluff the LAGs and so on..

Question 2: Do you have questions about your preflop play? Post your hand for evaluation. ( Post your hand in the Hand evaluation forums and provide a link to your hand in your private thread in the Locker Room.)

- No

Question 3: What is the equity of AKo against the top 5% range? 5% means 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo. ( You can either calculate this yourself or use an equity calculator such as the PokerStrategy.com Equilab.)

The equity of AKo against all those cards are: 46,324%
      against 88+: 39,593%
      against AJs: 64,359%
      against KQs: 70,423%
      against AKo: 50%

AKo is more or less a coin flip, which i learned the hard way :)
      against AKo:
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Welcome to the Course and Best of Luck. Good job! Homework #1 Done!

Easiest way to fight against tilt is to set up stop-loss technique. Which means if you for example have lost more than 3BIs for a session then you just stop the session for some time. The BI amount is set up from your own results. Some may put it higher, some lower. Also after the stop you can spend some time with evaluation part to become better.

Most of the weakness you wrote can easily be fixed by posting hands (analyzing your session). We will start writing feedback to your play. Usually negative feedback will put you into thinking phase and trying to fix all those leaks. It's almost the same as you lose money, you will remember it more than winning part. By this situation it's gonna be that negative feedback you gonna remember and try to avoid them next time.

About math and the before session part I wouldn't worry that much. Since you gonna get a lot math in this course and have to calculate a lot different spots and even get a calculator for it, especially in the exams. :) Other part of the before-session feeling well, with time and experience it will change. :)

Tight style is usually called playing selected hands. Like following the Starting Hand Chart. Aggressive should be also pretty clear that already the word says how you should be playing. But the problem playing aggressively is that you have to watch that you don't play too aggressive. Find good spots, find good targets. About The tight-aggressive strategy you can read in this article: "What is the Big Stack Strategy?"

Hopefully you will enjoy the Course. Some points earned.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #2 Done!

Well, 3betting from the blinds is of course considerable. But I would strongly advice to do that against those opponents you either know that they are folding or either you know that you might even do it for value with your hand. In some spots it might be even safer just to Call and play postflop.

But overall it's true that we adept according the opponents and dynamics on the table, although it's not such a thing which will come over the night and when you are rather new to poker you wont adept that easily and your adepts wont be that profitable. That's also why hand posting is good for to understand either you played your hand correctly or not.

About Question #3:

Equity     Win     Tie
      UTG    46.32%  37.92%   8.41% { AKo }
      UTG+1  53.68%  45.27%   8.41% { 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo }

Hopefully you enjoy the School so far. Some more points earned.
    • Alvan85
      Alvan85
      Bronze
      Question 1: You are holding KQ. What is your preflop equity against an opponent who has 33? How does the equity change on this flop: J53? (Tip: you can use the Equilab to help you with this task.)

My equity would be 50.43%

Question 2: What would you do in the following hand? (Remember that it is important to explain your reasons, simply posting "Fold" or "Call" isn't enough!)
      No Limit hold'em $2 (9-handed)
      Players and stacks:
      UTG: $2.00
      UTG+1: $2.08
      MP1: $1.92
      MP2: $1.00
      MP3: $3.06
      CO: (Hero) $2.08
      BU: $2.00
      SB: $2.00
      BB: $1.24
      Preflop: Hero is CO with AJ
      5 folds, Hero raises to $0.08, BU calls $0.08, SB folds, BB calls $0.06.
      Flop: ($0.25) 263 (3 players)
      BB checks, Hero checks, BU checks.
      Turn: ($0.25) 5 (3 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $0.22, BU raises to $0.44, BB folds, Hero...?

In my opinion thats and easy fold.
      BB could have hit the nut straight there holding something like
      Q4+ and could also have it three of a kind with 55..

Our best chance is to hit a straight on the river but that would be only 4 outs and we certainly dont get pot odds to call.

Question 3: Do you have questions about your postflop play? Post your hand for evaluation. (Post your hand in the hand evaluation forum and provide a link to your hand in your private thread in the Locker Room.)

I do have questions and I will post a hand.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #3 Done!

About Question #1:
      Preflop Equity:

Equity Win Tie
      UTG 50.78% 50.40% 0.38% { KsQs }
      UTG+1 49.22% 48.84% 0.38% { 3d3c }

Postflop Equity:

Board: J:spade: 5:diamond: 3:spade:
      Equity Win Tie
      UTG 26.46% 26.46% 0.00% { KsQs }
      UTG+1 73.54% 73.54% 0.00% { 3d3c }

About Question #2:
      There are several occasions on turn:
      a) If we take just odds for the FD and we take into account that all our odds are clean. Which means:
      Total Pot = $0,91 ; We have to Call = $0,22 -> According to that it means we are getting ~4,16:1 odds. For flushdraw we would need 4:1. Which tells us that we are getting perfect odds.
      b) If we consider the opponent having sets here:
      Which means we have to discount outs, for example 6 and also 3. Which means we have 7 clean outs so that means we need 6:1 odds. That tells us that we need ~$0,41 on river to make it profitable. If we expect the opponent being loose enough and being able to pay us no-matter what then we can do the Call here properly.
      c) We might even have overcards as outs or even 4 as a out:
      Although this kind of situation ain't that likely. I'd rather discount that one and either pick a) or b). Most likely towards Call.

You are doing great progress, keep going!
    • Alvan85
      Alvan85
      Bronze
      Thank you veriz! :)

I finally broke my downswing so now i feel like i've got new fresh air in my lungs again :)
    • Alvan85
      Alvan85
      Bronze
      Question 1: Post a hand for evaluation in which you have the initiative postflop. (Post your hand in the Hand evaluation board, and provide a link to your hand in your private thread.)

QQ on board with draw

Question 2: Evaluate one of the hands submitted by other members. (Choose a hand from the Hand evaluation board and post your own evaluation in the thread. Post a link to the hand you have evaluated in your private thread. You can evaluate as many hands as you want, but try to choose hands not yet evaluated by other users.)

AKs NL4

Question 3: You are on the flop with KQ. The board cards are J, 9, 8, and your opponent holds 77. What is your equity in this spot?

My equity: 41,414%
      His equity: 58,586%
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #4 Done!

This weeks homework was a bit easier. But the idea of that is to help you go through last weeks stuff if you didn't go through everything. Or either way maybe even read some more articles, watch some videos and of course attend in the coaching. What will also help for your game is the evaluation part of other members hands and of course posting your own hands.

If you have interests you could try calculating the equity with a formula which you can use even on tables(either playing online or live poker):
      (Amount of outs x 4) – (Amount of outs – 8) = Your Equity

About Question #3:

Board: J:spade: 9:club: 8:heart:
             Equity     Win     Tie
      UTG    41.41%  41.41%   0.00% { KsQd }
      UTG+1  58.59%  58.59%   0.00% { 7h7c }

Hopefully this wasn't too easy homework for you. Some more points earned.