Question for Cirith and any other high level FL players

• BDL
      BDL
      Bronze
      I was watching videos by TheBryce and Stox and they constantly emphasize understanding where the money comes from and goes. Additionally he mentions the important of doing spreadsheets to figure out what the correct play is.

How would an aspiring FL poker player go about improving his game in this way?
  • 4 replies
    • ciRith
      ciRith
      Bronze
      I'm not sure what you mean.

The comes from bad plays by your opponent. Exploiting their mistakes or forcing them to do them is what we try to do. (By playing according to our strategy.)

Or do you mean that they say.... we we won money from them because they called without odds? Like when someone calls with a gutshot while only getting 6:1 or so.

Maybe you mean to improve the game by thinking about your game. This will improve through discussionbs with other players. Either via coaching, hand judging or talking about hand with other player at skype etc..

You can try to get used to the software "Equlilator" with which you can see whether you made a good move/call or whatever. Practising with it will improve your game. If you see that you are a huge underdog with a certain hand in a specific situation you may fold it next time. Or if you are a big favorite you might raise him etc..

Maybe one of the points answer your question at least a big. :) Feel free to ask if it isn't.
    • BDL
      BDL
      Bronze
      You make all excellent points, I read a psychology article on learning from ps.com too which really pointed me in the right direction. I started my poker career with a huge upswing and my steam's run out, so I really need to turn my attention to some serious studying if I want to experience more good results.
    • PokerHammer
      PokerHammer
      Bronze
      When Bryce talks about where the money is going, he is usually comparing his hand against his opponents range.

So, if he feels he has a strong enough hand against his opponents range then in the long run he is playing profitable poker, regardless of whether he wins the actual pot he is involved in or not. In other words, he knows where the money is going, win or lose.

That's why it's so important to learn to put your opponent on a range of hands. That becomes more important the higher you play.
    • ciRith
      ciRith
      Bronze
      Ahh ok this is my 2nd point above but in more detail. Advancing in giving them ranges is not the easiest thing to do. The best way is to look at PT/PA (if you have it) and type his prefloprange into Equilator. There you see which hands connected with the flop and then you can go on removing hands he wouldn't play like he does. Don't forget that the other players don't play like a TAG so there are many unexpected hands as well as bluffs.
      For example he might have AA even if he didn't cap preflop against your 3-bet. (This happens pretty often. :/)

This is by the way a great way of preventing yourself from tiliting. If you KNOW that your play was correct it's easier to lose while when not knowing it. The worst is if you lose AND you played bad. This might get you on tilt very fast. :/