6-max as a beginner?

• Alvan85
      Alvan85
      Bronze
      Hey everyone!

Ive been playing on and off for a few months and didnt really study much poker before now..

I consider myself a beginner, even though I have some knowledge of the game.

With that in mind would it be foolish for me to start playing 6-max tables straight away?

I just find the action going on, and being able to play more hands much more fun than on full-ring tables.

I had a look in the beginners-course and got somewhat discourage when I found that all of it is mostly about full-ring :(
      Is it really a necessary thing to start out on fullring tables when youre learning the strategy? Or if I know im going to play 6-max later on anyways, wouldnt it be best to just read up on tactics for 6-max instead?

Thanks in advance!
  • 8 replies
    • Justin37
      Justin37
      Bronze
      Well this site does not encourage beginner to start the 6max table for a very obvious reason.

1. U need to play WIDE range of hand compare to 9max
      2. blind is fast so every 6 hands, u are going to pay the blind fast

Ya it is fun, n if u are good at it, play it...
    • Alvan85
      Alvan85
      Bronze
      Define "good" ;)

Im not winning in poker yet, neither at full ring nor 6-max.
      I had a good run at first, then the lack of knowledge of poker theory / tilt caught up with me and I reduced my bankroll by 50%

But.. in my opinion the 6-max style of play fits my style of play alot more than fullring.
    • kenthmp
      kenthmp
      Bronze
      Get a hand chart for 6max. Please note that SHC for 6max is more dynamic (ranges changes based on targeted villains) than FR. And don't tilt.
    • esuohdla
      esuohdla
      Bronze
      Play what you enjoy, if you dont enjoy fullring your volume and play there will suck in comparison to if you played 6max
    • Justin37
      Justin37
      Bronze
      Define good?

Well i dont enjoy playing table that im losing $$$, i cant imagine HOW u enjoy playing 6max with losing $$$. In short/long term it will eat ur bankroll n u get tilt. That is the 1st rules of playing poker, dont play with over BR management/ dont tilt. Protect ur BR.

Anyway, if u are making money from it by all mean, cont playing it.
    • pleno1
      pleno1
      Coach
      Coach
      Heym

Moving this to beginners questions where it belongs :)

Thanks
      Patrick
    • purplefizz
      purplefizz
      Bronze
      hi Alvan85,

hmm there have been a few good points here.
      i am a 6max player and i have to admit i do not really know how to play full ring.

6max and Full ring play have their own unique characteristics.

6max generally plays looser and more aggressive (because blinds come around faster). Due to this, there is probably also a bit more variance.
      you will need good reads because decisions become very opponent dependent and you will need to be more tilt resistant as well.

it is possible to learn whichever game type you want, by being diligent and getting involved in the community. experience is also very important. there is nothing like playing many hands, making many mistakes and correcting them which will make you better. there are many SH players here hanging about in the blog section if you will take a look. also most of the theoretical material in the Strategy section can be applied for both formats.

in the beginner's school, it will be ok whether you post 6max or FR hands. your coach will be able to help you with either.

in the end, you will need to decide for yourself. :) and who knows, it may still change. as long as you are excited to learn about it, and willing to work hard, you will keep improving.

smiles,
      wendy
    • UTGDog
      UTGDog
      Bronze
      I began playing 6-max NLHE cash games online before I played any other form of poker because the game is fast and the pots can become monsterous compared to full-ring tables.

Because of the aggressiveness of 6-max tables, it requires a broader range of hands which may pull you from your comfort zone. This means making calls with small connecters and suited gappers (hands that have 1 or 2 missing cards in between ie. J9s, KTs, etc.) These hands dont have much value when pairing up so you need to be looking for draw heavy boards to build big pots when you have plenty of cards to help you. If you aren't able to effectively change gears and loosen up in spots when necessary, 6-max could really bleed you bankroll in a hurry due to the larger swings of those tables. This is why most televised cash games are in 6-max format because there is more action.

Hand reading abilities are a MUST in this form of poker since you will be trying to see a lot of flops, and more hands will last beyond the flop, and are more likely to be multiway pots. If you can't effectively focus on your game AND put your opponents on their hand ranges, you simply will not survive those tables. It all comes down to how confidant you are with your understanding of poker, your reading ability, and your ability to make quick adjustments to mix things up at the table. There is nothing wrong with admitting these tables are too tough just yet. If they are something you would like to start playing more effectively I would suggest looking for available information on that form of poker, and then applying your new knowledge to the micro stakes to make sure you don't lose your bankroll in one session while getting used to the new strategy.

I love 6-max cash tables. They are a tonne of fun, and a great way to hone your skills, but the swings can really frustrate players who aren't prepared for it, so please play them with caution.

Good luck and...