maui jackpot tournaments on iPoker

• chenny8888
      chenny8888
      Silver
      way too difficult now :o. anyone here still playing them?

i just played a set of 5 earlier (back when i played on titan, i'd play 1 at a time but still)

managed to scrape through with 1 1st and 1 2nd.. the players are far tighter early on now, and seem to have some knowledge of push/fold...
  • 11 replies
    • ManniXXX
      ManniXXX
      Bronze
      Late bump!

I've just started playing these and the players do seem to have quite a bit of knowledge about push/fold but for the most part I'm finding them pretty soft. Not too hard to find a full table of fishes = almost guranteed ITM. I think the jackpot attracts loose players looking to win.

Whether or not the double rake is +$EV longterm is another matter that I've been trying to work out; my main reason for playing them is not for the jackpot but for the blind levels. Players @ Titan are so slow that not enough hands get dealt in the 4 min turbos for my liking and the 9 min standards are just too long. 7 mins seems to be just right...

As for the rake, I'm clearing bonuses so it doesn't bother me all that much as long as I can keep +ROI
    • ManniXXX
      ManniXXX
      Bronze
      Originally posted by ManniXXX
      Not too hard to find a full table of fishes
      Lol.

Maui "Jackpot Sit N Go" 200/400

saw flop | [color:#C00000]saw showdown[/color]

Button Villain (8185)
      BB [color:#C00000]Hero (1815)[/color]

Preflop: Hero is in the BB with 7 :heart: 3 :heart:
      Villain raises to 800, Hero raises to 1815, 1 fold

Hero wins 3015 with High card: Seven
    • chenny8888
      chenny8888
      Silver
      lol! yeah some are still horrible

i had another look at these before blowing my titan bankroll, and it seems they increased (significantly) the jackpot amount. so it's worth playing on it again. you need approximately a 1/8 first place finish to justify the extra rake.
    • ManniXXX
      ManniXXX
      Bronze
      The jackpot is progressive;every week that goes by without a winner = $3500 more added to the jackpot, starting at 15k. I would prefer a truly progressive one where the actual rake goes towards the jackpot but oh well.
    • chenny8888
      chenny8888
      Silver
      that'd explain it. thanks!

anyway, not an issue for me anymore as i have no money left on the network :P
    • ManniXXX
      ManniXXX
      Bronze
      Yeah, I actually have the BR to play 10+1s now but the blind structures on iPoker really frustrate me. In fact theres an awful lot about iPoker that frustrates me xD .

I played a set at like 2am last night and the difference is pretty staggering. Found 2 regulars, or at least multi-tablers, and generally the whole table was tight early on, that said they were still bad but just not as kamikaze early on as it seems they are during the day.

Might update here after 1000+ games if I ever get that far.
    • chenny8888
      chenny8888
      Silver
      during the off-peak times, iPoker seems tougher than it normally is. that said it's still very very very soft at the low stakes :P
    • ManniXXX
      ManniXXX
      Bronze
      Well in case anyones interested I stopped playing them at around 200 games. I know the sample size isn't big enough to draw conclusion but I was noticing a steady drop in ROI over the last 100 games and the players are just god awful. I also noticed a directly proportional relationship between the amount of jackpot in the pool and the fishyness of the players. At times it feels more like a gamblers anonymous meeting.

Switched to $10 turbos. Players generally seem better and about 70% are playing push/fold so nash can actually do it's job. I still hate iPokers blind strcuture though :evil:
    • curnow
      curnow
      Bronze
      personally I would advice not playing these tables , there is now way you are going to win 5 in a row

the turbo sng on Ipoker with 4 mins blinds are good though and the standard of players poor at best even though the games on pokerstars are not much better
    • ManniXXX
      ManniXXX
      Bronze
      Actually the chances aren't all that bad, if you actually dedicate your time and make a proper effort out of it, you need to play a lot of games, I'd prefer the higher buyins though, I expect them to be less fishy. The consellation prize is worth winning too.

Fort Knox Calculations: (pasted from an unnamed source :) )

All else being equal you have a 16.7% chance of winning a 6-man SNG... an 'average' player wins six in a row 0.002% of the time - or 1 in 500 sets of 6. Put another way if Mr Average plays 3000 jackpot SNGs he could expect, on average, to win the jackpot once.

The rake or fee is $9 here instead of the standard $5 for this level – so over 3000 games you would pay a total of $23000 in rake. Now compare this with an average of one $50k Jackpot SNG prize and is looks like we may have some value here!

But this is not the whole picture. In order to have a real comparison we need to look at the prize pool structure and compare this with the prize structure in a ‘normal’ SNG for a winning player. After all, it would only make sense to try for the jackpot if the expected dollar value is positive over time compared to your usual game once the extra fee is taken into account.

We will use the example of ‘Mrs Winner’ a good SNG player with a finish distribution for 6-max SNGs that look like this: 25% 1st place / 15% 2nd place / 10% 3rd place finishes.

Here is the sum of profits after 3000 non-Jackpot SNG:

750 1st ($210) = $157500

450 2nd ($90) = $40500

Total = (157500 + 40500) - (3000* $55) = +$33000

Now the same calculation for the Fort Knox Jackpot SNGs:

750 1st ($150) = $112500

450 2nd ($90) = $40500

300 3rd ($60) = $18000

Total = ($112500 + $40500 + $18000) - (3000 * $59) = -$6000

A big difference! Over 3000 games there is a difference of $39000 - a strong suggestion that the winning player should stick to the lower-rake non-jackpot SNGs... but wait, in saying that 'Mrs Winner' has 25% winning chances we need to recalculate the probability of 6 in a row - this is now 0.019%, almost 1 in 50! This means that nothing like 3000 games are required to win the jackpot – we suddenly swing back into a large positive expectation!

I'm not sure what that actually relates back to in ROI but I should think it's quite high.
    • sismis
      sismis
      Bronze
      i won 4 in a row at Fort Knox once(6 needed for jackpot). what i like about Fort Knox is that 3 ppl out of 6 get prizes (in normal 6-handed sng only first two get it). even at 50+9$ there is always a fish who goes out fast with some poor card or bluff and in the end its always about luck with huge blinds so there is decent chance you will get your buyin back. But to make some profit there you really have to win most of them and not many people are able to do this. neither am i so i dont play them ;)