how to play a small tournament with crappy hands

• mhedegaard
      mhedegaard
      Bronze
      Hello everyone. I just played a smal SNG tournament with 30 players, $5 buy-in. I usually play very tight in the beginning and only play in position and only playing premium hands, but what do you do if you are only dealt crappy starting hands all the time? How would you guys play a tournament like that?
  • 3 replies
    • purplefizz
      purplefizz
      Bronze
      hi mhedegaard,

welcome to our forums! there are plenty of articles dealing with the different stages of SNG and tournament play in our strategy section, including early play until push-fold stages of the tournament. look in here and check out those under SNG or MTT. :)

Strategy Articles

i am not a tournament expert, but i would guess that if you are dealt only crappy hands at the beginning of the tournament, then you simply fold them.

btw, i noticed that you are still basic status. have you done the quiz yet?
      let me know if i can help.

smiles,
      wendy
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      i am not a tournament expert, but i would guess that if you are dealt only crappy hands at the beginning of the tournament, then you simply fold them

Pretty much this. Don't let Wendy fool you either, she's well capable of pwning tournament play ;)

Alternatively, I would suggest keeping an eye on the players to your direct left. If they are folding a lot of hands, then maybe you can try steal their blinds when the blinds start increasing. Nice TAG play is always good.

Best wishes,
      Gary
    • purplefizz
      purplefizz
      Bronze
      Originally posted by HollyMichelle
      i am not a tournament expert, but i would guess that if you are dealt only crappy hands at the beginning of the tournament, then you simply fold them

Pretty much this. Don't let Wendy fool you either, she's well capable of pwning tournament play ;)

Alternatively, I would suggest keeping an eye on the players to your direct left. If they are folding a lot of hands, then maybe you can try steal their blinds when the blinds start increasing. Nice TAG play is always good.

Best wishes,
      Gary
      aww gary you're so sweet! :f_love:
      he's the guy you should be listening to :) he is king of ICM and winning tourneys left and right. speaking of which, have you already downloaded the ICM trainer? it is a useful tool which can help you in the push-fold stages of an SNG. Click here for Software Tools