Playing Super Tight On 6 Handed Table?

• thenextbigthing
      thenextbigthing
      Bronze
      Is it wise to play a suer tight game at a 6 handed table where the blinds and action coms around faster. I have been playing 9 -10 handed and the tight- aggressive game seems to work, I tried 6 handed today and doubled up but is this strategy best for short handed games
  • 10 replies
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      Define super tight
    • Xeonz123
      Xeonz123
      Bronze
      You shouldnt play Super Tight 6 - Handed as Blinds will cossume you :) in 6 Handed you should defiently loosing your range however not too much Still TAG.
    • luizsilveira
      luizsilveira
      Bronze
      Tried today and doubled up? I wouldn't say you know where you stand until you've played at least some 20,000 hands.

Anyway, imo: super tight = quite good if the table is full of bad/horrible players. Super tight = bad if the table is full of good players (but in this case even playing in the table is bad). Super tight = horrible if the table has only one or two bad players (because the good players will take their money before you manage to. Well, usually).

6max is all about dynamics and adapting to different opponents. There is no "one-size fits all" strategy.
    • thenextbigthing
      thenextbigthing
      Bronze
      top 10-20 hands i rarely play small pairs below 77 a-x off suit is a not really something i consider either
    • Jan217
      Jan217
      Bronze
      Originally posted by thenextbigthing
      top 10-20 hands i rarely play small pairs below 77 a-x off suit is a not really something i consider either
      then you are missing out on many many +EV spots vs a bunch of different opponent types. These hands are more marginal and can lead to much tougher decisions, but in learning to handle these decisions well we become better poker players. Poker is 100% all about adapting your game vs opponents, playing the same standard style vs all opponents wont get you very far.

If you like playing very tight then I reccomend you stick with full ring, but even there there are many situations where playing a wider range can be profitable.
    • Xeonz123
      Xeonz123
      Bronze
      Doesnt this also take the enjoyment out the game :P I love to bluff and Blind steal with 2-7off lol :f_biggrin:
    • luizsilveira
      luizsilveira
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Xeonz123
      Doesnt this also take the enjoyment out the game :P I love to bluff and Blind steal with 2-7off lol :f_biggrin:
      To be honest, bluffing is not what I enjoy about poker.

Plus, it's pointless to (try to) bluff an opponent who never folds. And there are many.

For the, the real "enjoyment" is outplaying the opponent by finding out and exploiting their weaknesses. If that involves bluffing a lot, I bluff a lot; but if it will be achieved by playing super tight and calling down strong hands vs. a maniac I find this line as enjoyable as a big bluff vs. a weak-tight player who bet/folds top pair on the river :f_love:
    • MJPerry
      MJPerry
      Bronze
      If you aren't playing A-x or pairs below 77 then you're playing too tight for full ring, let alone 6-max!
    • UTGDog
      UTGDog
      Bronze
      Originally posted by thenextbigthing
      This is way too tight. As everyone has already stated, 6-max is much faster and much more aggressive in nature. Because of this, you can't afford to just pay off your blinds until a great hand comes because they just wont come often enough to make any money long term.

That strategy you are describing sounds more like a full ring SNG strategy rather than a cash game or even a MTT strategy. You need to add those elusive and deceptive hands such as suited connectors and gappers, and any pair (unless the situation or opponent you face dictates otherwise).

If you aren't willing and able to adapt and change gears, your opponents will. And once they catch on, and they will if they are paying attention, your hands wont get much action from the otherwise lower quality hands your opponents could be holding, and will wind up taking flops against the players who have you beat. Either that, or you will have to make a living stealing blinds and calls from passive players.
    • Xeonz123
      Xeonz123
      Bronze
      Originally posted by luizsilveira
      Originally posted by Xeonz123
      To be honest, bluffing is not what I enjoy about poker.

Plus, it's pointless to (try to) bluff an opponent who never folds. And there are many.

For the, the real "enjoyment" is outplaying the opponent by finding out and exploiting their weaknesses. If that involves bluffing a lot, I bluff a lot; but if it will be achieved by playing super tight and calling down strong hands vs. a maniac I find this line as enjoyable as a big bluff vs. a weak-tight player who bet/folds top pair on the river :f_love:
      you raise a good point, Im not constantly bluffing but to get away with it makes me feel epic lol , Awesome the same fealing when i catch someone bluffing.