Kling001

• Kling001
      Kling001
      Bronze
      Hello everybody,

just started in Pokerstrategy, pretty much as a complete beginner other than pokergames with friends at home. I am a loose/ bluff player in need of a better win/ lose ratio :-) I win a lot of games with bluff/ blind stealing/ aggressive play, but find it sometimes difficult to lay down, then re-raise only to find that many opponents play rather tight in our wonderful NL2 league (no really?? 2 cents??). My usual game goes from $2 stack, down to 1.50, up to $4 and ends with empty pockets... as I said - I am just beginning
  • 4 replies
    • Alvan85
      Alvan85
      Bronze
      Hello!

Nice to see more beginners :)
      I was also a loose/agressive player (without understanding the concept at all) at first but im learning to play more tight/agressive now..

I miss bluffing though, I guess the same will happen for you :)
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Welcome to the Course and Best of Luck Kling001,

Good to have you with us and hopefully we will be able to teach you something new. :)

Hopefully you will enjoy around here. If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask, we will be around for you. Meanwhile good luck on tables, we will be waiting for your homework.

You can now start with your 1st Lesson:
      Lesson #1

The whole course plan:
      Overview of Beginners Course

Best Regards.
    • Kling001
      Kling001
      Bronze
      Question 1: What is your motivation for playing poker?
      I am playing poker for fun really. I enjoy it because it is a strategy game, I want to improve my thinking on the game, I enjoy winning (if I win because of a right decision), I would like to play & win tournaments. Number one reason is for fun really, since I will (can) not spend enough time on playing to become a pro - I have rather long working hours during the week! However, I have just been relocated to a new country for work and I do have time to play a few hours every week in the evening and I learn fast, so I feel I with the right learning I can be a tournament winner. Money is important, otherwise this game wouldn't be fun, but the amounts that I have in mind that one can occassionally win - well, I don't see it as 'earnings', rather a free night out!

Question 2: What are your weaknesses when playing poker?
      I like bluffing just a bit too much, which causes me to lose money very fast sometimes. Basically I do not have enough patience I guess, I want to win faster than it goes sometimes.
      I am also slightly careless when I have a good hand about other peoples play. Then I might be slowplaying and in the meantime spoil my winning position... I have played a 1500 hands since joining Pokerstrategy (week ago), lost about $35 (own deposit) in NL2 rather fast because of above mentioned reasons. Now I am learning to play tighter and make a difference between players at the table and my bankroll is growing again, on to the NL4 limits!

Question 3: What does it mean to play tight aggressive?
      TIGHT is playing strong hands only i.e. very selective and conservative pre-flop.
      AGGRESSIVE is attacking with strong hands, and winning by adding pot value at the right time and/or winning because you defend a strong hand in time.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #1 Done!

Most of the weakness you wrote can easily be fixed by posting hands (analyzing your session). We will start writing feedback to your play. Usually negative feedback will put you into thinking phase and trying to fix all those leaks. It's almost the same as you lose money, you will remember it more than winning part. By this situation it's gonna be that negative feedback you gonna remember and try to avoid them next time.

What about tilting? How do you adjust to it?

Tight style is usually called playing selected hands. Like following the Starting Hand Chart. Aggressive should be also pretty clear that already the word says how you should be playing. But the problem playing aggressively is that you have to watch that you don't play too aggressive. Find good spots, find good targets. About The tight-aggressive strategy you can read in this article: "What is the Big Stack Strategy?"

Hopefully you will enjoy the Course. Some points earned.