from $20 to $55 in 2 days

• ilovemagic
      ilovemagic
      Bronze
      basically this thread is about self evaluation. I am currently riding an upswing of amazing play, mixed with bad play getting lucky at the right times, and just unbelievable things like AA and KK actually winning me money!!! I'm used to losing, so why all of a sudden when all these things i am being taught start working, do I feel like there is a lot more work that needs to be done and lots of holes / leaks to be filled still?

I feel like I shouldn't take a break, but at the same time I feel like I'm just one giant pot loss away from going on tilt and ruining all of this if I continue to play with my emotions so high right now. Is it ok to take a break when your feeling TOO GOOD?
  • 8 replies
    • Atoks
      Atoks
      Bronze
      You should take a break any time you feel your emotions are overpowering your ability to make quality poker decisions. Discipline is the key skill that will help you beat the micros/lows in the long run.
    • EagleStar88
      EagleStar88
      Bronze
      Hello again my friend,

Well taking a break in poker is important as tiredness or lack of concentration can lead to a leak in your game play.
      This applies equally to taking a day off every now and then and to taking short breaks during a grinding session (coffee break, lunch, a walk to get some fresh air etc).

It sounds like you're off to a great start already, but keep working on developing your game, reading up on the strategy material, watching coaching vids etc. They're all great at expanding on any existing profits and maximising your progress.

I also find it useful to concentrate more on how you play, finding & removing any leak you might have etc. rather than setting yourself any specific $ or timescale targets. These can be useful too to focus the mind, but don't get frustrated if you don't hit a certain $ target within a certain period. Variance can be high in poker and you need to ride the swings. By focusing on your game and development etc, the results should follow as opposed to vice versa if you know what I mean.

Sorry I'm not a coach by the way and not qualified to give advice, just a couple of general observations from my own play mentioned so that hopefully others won't fall into the same bad habits as me ;)

Hope this helps. Wishing you every continued success, keep up the great work :s_thumbsup:

Bart
    • EagleStar88
      EagleStar88
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Atoks
      You should take a break any time you feel your emotions are overpowering your ability to make quality poker decisions. Discipline is the key skill that will help you beat the micros/lows in the long run.
      As always put a lot better than I managed lol. Thanks Atoks :)
    • ilovemagic
      ilovemagic
      Bronze
      thanks guys! i had the same idea as well, i definately should take a break, come back tomorrow and try to repeat what i was doing today!! toodles!
    • Atoks
      Atoks
      Bronze
      Originally posted by EagleStar88
      Originally posted by Atoks
      As always put a lot better than I managed lol. Thanks Atoks :)
      I wouldn't say that ... often people find better guidance in more detailed answers :)
    • Justin37
      Justin37
      Bronze
      lost twice buyin in $2k GTD tournament last night n i started to play bad, infected by bad play by some random players raising n calling big raise with 46,93,J2 n winning.

So, before losing my mind n on tilt, i stop playing n went to sleep...If your emotional is not stable, better STOP playing.
    • Xeonz123
      Xeonz123
      Bronze
      I found this motivating for me :)
    • CheckBop
      CheckBop
      Bronze
      keep on buildign that roll my man!