jperucao

• jperucao
      jperucao
      Bronze
      hi there,

my name is Jorge Perucao. I'm from Portugal but i usually come to the english forum to read news and to watch some hands evaluations and tainings. I don't have sure if i can participate in this course but i hope i can participate. If i can't please tell me something that i delete this thread, but please let me participate :) :)

About my poker history, i start playing at pkr some freerolls and that tournments of limit hold'em that the first place give 5cents of prize. Then i heard of pokerstrategy. Ask for my 50$ and i receved it but i instantly lost them. I forgot abou poker some time. Then i start seeing more often pokerstrategy forum. I watch people talking about the percentage of luck and the percentage of skill that a poker game involve. I thought that poker was all about luck and about cards. Then i start seeing that was some members that won a lot of MTT's. Start thinking more about that too. Maybe poker is more about skill than luck. Start reading some articles and after some days made a deposit. Was a little one. When i made that deposit i didn't know about bankroll management. Broke that deposit. Start reading more and nowadays i am a break even player. My wish is to be a good and a solid player, and not to be a break even player.

I hope this course can help me getting better and help me getting a good and solid player.

Cumpts,
      Jorge Perucao
  • 7 replies
    • jperucao
      jperucao
      Bronze
      Hi,

hear i have the homework for the first week.

About the articles

Read it all. The first 3 i liked and are a great way to introduce players to NLHE. I really enjoyed the last article: The bonus article-theory to practice. Liked the way of elaborating the plan so we can conciliate the study and the practice. Start thinking more abou my study and practice plan and come to the conclusion that i must to elaborate one better plan. So after today i'm going to start studyin one hour (reading the articles of the week, seeing the videos, going to check is there is any coaching lesson available, etc.). After this hour i play 2 hours that is my normal plan of playing and corresponds to 1k hands. After my session i'm going to study one more hour (in this part of studying i'm goind to make a session review. See dificult situations andpost some hands that made me confusion.)

Video

Think its a good video for introducting people for the NL beginners course and for pokerstrategy.com. Great way of introducing to poker and the long terms results and etc. Also its a great way to introduce people to pokerstrategy and to teach them how enjoy to the most this great school.

Coaching

Watch to the podcast. Its a litle big but its really good. Teaches with what mentality a player should go to a table and teaches some plays mistakes that beginners make. Also show beginners some mistakes that we make at the table and show how to fix them. I really enjoy it.

Homework

Question 1: What is your motivation for playing poker?
      I know that this is a game of skill and that to be a winner on this game we must to study and practice a lot. My motivation to continue studying and practice is to involve and fix all my mistakes to later i can a good player. Also enjoy this great game because its a thing that i enjoy to do that give me tons of fun but also where we can win some money. I know that on the start we don't going to win almost nothing but later we can start making some good money.

Question 2: What are your weaknesses when playing poker?
      Some times when i start playing i'm feeling good but after one hour or so i start to feel a lot of sleepiness. what can i do to avoid this sleepiness? Also one of my weakness is to not ask all the plays i make. I know that to be a good player we must always interrogate our selfes about what are we doing, but some times i stop doing this.

Question 3: What does it mean to play tight aggressive?
      Tight and agressive are the junction of two words. Tight means has patience and waits for good spots and good hands to play. Agressive means that when he plays he trys to win the most of money possible when he is behind on the hand.
      Normally this type of players is the players that we don't want in our table because we are going to win little money of them but its the type of player that we want to be.

Question to the coach

I usually play 6 tables 2 hours, that gives more and less 1k hands. Do you think this is good or shall i start playing less tables (4?) and taking notes of all the things that my oponents do during the session? Normally i do this on the sessions review. What you think?
      One more question i was plying nl4 but i'm going to go down to nl2 because of a really bad day. Should we use hud or do you think that in these levels we should play without it?

Think thats all. Thanks ;)

Cumpts,
      Jorge Perucao
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Welcome to the Course and Best of Luck. Good job! Homework #1 Done!

Yeah, I know that the coaching podcast is a bit too long. :( But we can't really do much there, we didn't want to cut either into parts them but could be an option. But usually the coachings are that long and the very 1st coaching was really loooong. :D Like over 2hours, wasn't that easy for me either to hold it.

If you are feeling sleepiness then just end the session. Usually it's a sign that you ain't concentrating enough. Some people get sleepy for example when they are reading some books, watching some videos which have theory in it and etc.. My advice would be to take the time off when you feeling something similar. Maybe take a walk outside or just go do something else. But 1st time I am hearing that people getting sleepy during the play. It might be that you are bored? Maybe more tables would work? Although not sure if that would be good for winrate. :(

Most of the weakness you wrote can easily be fixed by posting hands (analyzing your session). We will start writing feedback to your play. Usually negative feedback will put you into thinking phase and trying to fix all those leaks. It's almost the same as you lose money, you will remember it more than winning part. By this situation it's gonna be that negative feedback you gonna remember and try to avoid them next time.

Tight style is usually called playing selected hands. Like following the Starting Hand Chart. Aggressive should be also pretty clear that already the word says how you should be playing. But the problem playing aggressively is that you have to watch that you don't play too aggressive. Find good spots, find good targets. About The tight-aggressive strategy you can read in this article: "What is the Big Stack Strategy?"

I usually play 6 tables 2 hours, that gives more and less 1k hands. Do you think this is good or shall i start playing less tables (4?) and taking notes of all the things that my oponents do during the session? Normally i do this on the sessions review. What you think?

Well, 6 tables is good enough I'd say. If you can do it profitable why should you cut? Only when I'd advice play less tables is when you moving to new limit or want to try out something new.

One more question i was plying nl4 but i'm going to go down to nl2 because of a really bad day. Should we use hud or do you think that in these levels we should play without it?

At least you go down! Trust me, there are so many people who ain't able to do that and just loose their bankroll because of that. That's already a good sign of you. If you can use HUD then why not? But if you are rather new to poker then I wouldn't concentrate that much on the HUD. We gonna switch to HUD anyways on 4+ Lesson, then you can switch as well.

Hopefully you will enjoy the Course. Some points earned.
    • jperucao
      jperucao
      Bronze
      hi,

hear i have the homework number 2.

Articles

Great articles. Really explain the concept of preflop play. I only thought a little confusing the article about odds and outs. It is a little confuse the calculations. Asked for some members that helped me.

Videos

Enjoy the both videos but i think that the crushing NL50 its a very good video that really completes the articles. Thinkt that was a great video to watch to understand even more the articles.

Podcast

Don't have any doubt. A nice podcast but i think that if i can assist a live podcast its even better. going to try to assist a cocaching lesson soon.

Homework

Question 1--> What do you think you could play differently than suggested in the BSS Starting Hands Chart and why?

In EP and MP we can't change anything. We must be as tighter as we can becuase we are going to play a lot of times OOP. In cutoff and BU i change depending of the blinds. If there is a rock i open all hands in BU. If theres a rock on the BU i open all the hands that i should open in the BU on the CO. If theres a donkey that folds too much to cbet on post flop i usually also open a lot of hands in BU.

Question 2--> Do you have questions about your preflop play? Post your hand for evaluation.
      One of my doubts post flop is how to play Suited conectors. Is there any rule like the call20 rule? For instance CO is a tight player and open 4bb's and has 100bb's stack. We are in BU with 78hh. Can we call and play against the tight player in position?
      Other doubt is how to play AJs from the blinds with tight players opening from CO and BU.

Question 3--> What is the equity of AKo against the top 5% range? 5% means 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo.

pt.pokerstrategy.com
      Equity Vencer Empatar
      MP2 46.32% 37.92% 8.41% { AKo }
      MP3 53.68% 45.27% 8.41% { 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo }

Well think thats all.

Don't have any more doubts to ask to the coach.

Perucao
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #2 Done!

There is not much to change on the EP/MP. Most likely I'd also play rather less hands there while we going to play the hand often times OOP. Really good point out!

Totally agree with you about the stealing ranges. They can be very easily be balanced with even wider range. Depending on the opponent you can as well put a wider stealing range. Against some tight opponents who give up their blinds either preflop or postflop, why not to adjust? Against some shorties you can even steal with smaller raise, for example 3xBB. But don't overdo the stealing situations. Sometimes you might just put yourself into too many difficult spots if opening with marginal hands.

Is there any rule like the call20 rule?

Not for suited connectors. Since they can't be played like that. I mean even if you hit your pair/2pairs you might still be behind. Have to adjust to the opponents.

Can we call and play against the tight player in position?

We can, if we expect to get rid of him postflop and also know how he plays there. By the words that he is tight we can't assume much about his postflop play. But usually those hands if they are play then rather in position.

Other doubt is how to play AJs from the blinds with tight players opening from CO and BU.

Against more looser raises we can easily even just Call and play postflop. Depends really on the opponent. Do you think he would Call you with worse? If you do then you might even sometimes just 3bet there. Depends on a lot of factors. But most likely we gonna analyze those situations in the Hand Evaluation forums.

About Question #3:

Equity     Win     Tie
      UTG    46.32%  37.92%   8.41% { AKo }
      UTG+1  53.68%  45.27%   8.41% { 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo }

Hopefully you enjoy the School so far. Some more points earned.
    • jperucao
      jperucao
      Bronze
      Hi,

hear i have homework number 3.

Question 1: You are holding K :spade: Q :spade: . What is your preflop equity against an opponent who has 3 :diamond: 3 :club: ? How does the equity change on this flop: J :spade: 5 :diamond: 3 :spade: ?

Our equity pre flop is

Equity  Vencer  Empatar
      MP2    50.78%  50.40%    0.38% { KsQs }
      MP3    49.22%  48.84%    0.38% { 3d3c }

That means that preflop is a coinflip.

post flop our equity is

Board: J:spade: 5:diamond: 3:spade:
             Equity  Vencer  Empatar
      MP2    26.46%  26.46%    0.00% { KsQs }
      MP3    73.54%  73.54%    0.00% { 3d3c }

Pos flop our equity changes so much because our outs are few. The only way to win this hand is to make our flush. And we have one card of spades that don't help us. the 5 :spade: because it will give our opponent a full house. So our outs are 2 :spade: 4 :spade: 6 :spade: 7 :spade: 8 :spade: 9 :spade: T :spade: A :spade: But the turn can changes things a little bit. For example if the turn is 6 :club: our outs on the river are minus 1 because the 6:spade: would give our opponent a full house.

Question 2: What would you do in the following hand?
      No Limit hold'em $2 (9-handed)

Players and stacks:
      UTG: $2.00
      UTG+1: $2.08
      MP1: $1.92
      MP2: $1.00
      MP3: $3.06
      CO: (Hero) $2.08
      BU: $2.00
      SB: $2.00
      BB: $1.24

Preflop: Hero is CO with A :club: J :club:
      5 folds, Hero raises to $0.08, BU calls $0.08, SB folds, BB calls $0.06.

Flop: ($0.25) 2 :club: 6 :diamond: 3 :diamond: (3 players)
      BB checks, Hero checks, BU checks.

Turn: ($0.25) 5 :club: (3 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $0.22, BU raises to $0.44, BB folds, Hero...?

We have a good hand to play on CO. We open the normal: 4bb's. On the flop i think i would give up of the hand too because we didn't it anything and if we make a cbet we will take call of a lot of hands. Any PP, any 4x any 5x, some Ax and Kx and all hands that have two :club: will call our cbet because we are tight players and this flop will not improve our hand a lot. On the turn we have some more outs. We have a flush draw. On the turn i also would make a bet because our hand can steel improve and the flop didn't see to help anyone. So we can take this pot with a bet or with some luck one of them makes the call and we hit our flush and will take a bigger pot. None of the option occurred we have been raised. To see if it is profitable or not to make this call we must to compare our odds with our pot odds. The odds to complete the flush draw on the river are: 4:1. This means that in 5 times we are going to win 4 times and loss one. So lets see for the 4 times that we are going to loose we are going to loose 0.22(the amount needed to make the call to see the river)*4=0.88. So when we don't hit the flush we are going to loose 0.88. When we hit the flush we are going to win:0.25+0.22+0.44+0.22=1.13. So our total profit is going to be winning-loses so 1.13-0.88=0.25. So its going to be profitable to make the call because every time that this situation occurs we are going to win 0.25$

Question 3: Do you have questions about your postflop play? Post your hand for evaluation.
      I have some questions about limp/called pots and then the oponent make a donk bet of 1BB.
      For example, the situation above:
      No Limit hold'em $2 (9-handed)

Players and stacks:
      UTG: $2.00
      UTG+1: $2.08
      MP1: $1.92
      MP2: $1.00
      MP3: $3.06
      CO: (Hero) $2.08
      BU: $2.00
      SB: $2.00
      BB: $1.24

Preflop: Hero is CO with A :club: J :club:
      4 folds, MP+3 calls 0.02, Hero raises to $0.10, BU folds, SB folds, BB folds, MP+3 calls $0.10

Flop: ($0.25) 2 :club: 6 :diamond: 3 :diamond: (3 players)
      MP+3 bets 0.02, Hero...?

What we make on this situation? This happens to me a lot on ongame network. Lots of donks make this move and when i don't hit anything i don't know what to do.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #3 Done!

About Question #1:
      Preflop Equity:

Equity Win Tie
      UTG 50.78% 50.40% 0.38% { KsQs }
      UTG+1 49.22% 48.84% 0.38% { 3d3c }

Postflop Equity:

Board: J:spade: 5:diamond: 3:spade:
      Equity Win Tie
      UTG 26.46% 26.46% 0.00% { KsQs }
      UTG+1 73.54% 73.54% 0.00% { 3d3c }

About Question #2:
      There are several occasions on turn:
      a) If we take just odds for the FD and we take into account that all our odds are clean. Which means:
      Total Pot = $0,91 ; We have to Call = $0,22 -> According to that it means we are getting ~4,16:1 odds. For flushdraw we would need 4:1. Which tells us that we are getting perfect odds.
      b) If we consider the opponent having sets here:
      Which means we have to discount outs, for example 6 and also 3. Which means we have 7 clean outs so that means we need 6:1 odds. That tells us that we need ~$0,41 on river to make it profitable. If we expect the opponent being loose enough and being able to pay us no-matter what then we can do the Call here properly.
      c) We might even have overcards as outs or even 4 as a out:
      Although this kind of situation ain't that likely. I'd rather discount that one and either pick a) or b). Most likely towards Call.

You are doing great progress, keep going!
    • mawaykid
      mawaykid
      Bronze