plo should I play deep stacked

• vanyamerilym
      vanyamerilym
      Bronze
      Hello
      I am a PLO player however I prefer the deep stacked game.
      My feeling is that in this type of game I can really show my technical skills because in the 100bb games too much variance there is and much more gamble than the 250 bb game deep with antes. Besides the punish is much more suvere should you play poorely after the flop.
      I feel my technical skills are one step ahead of my opponents' so should I play deep game ? Am I on the right track just need to know that ?
  • 5 replies
    • EuanM
      EuanM
      Bronze
      Hey vanyamerilym,

Thanks for posting.

I would judge my requirements to deepstack not by how much of an edge I have over my opponents, but rather with the correct amount of Buy-ins behind at a limit that you feel comfortable at.

My personal Rule of thumb is, the bigger your stack, the more difficult your decisions will be. If you feel the decisions your opponents are presenting you with are not effective in causing you to make mistakes, then you should of course play a more speculative game against these types of players, hence why your stack should be bigger.

It's really up to you, with a shorter stack you will be playing a more straightforward game. With a bigger stack, you can get out of line more often and get inside your opponents head. Deepstack Poker is poker at it's best, but you yourself need to be at your best to handle it too!

Keep these things in mind and you should do fine!

Hope this helps & let me know if I can help you with anything else.

-E
    • vanyamerilym
      vanyamerilym
      Bronze
      thank you for your information
      there is always to be learned from it.
      Could I ask you something else if you could give me your opinion ?
      In the plo six max 10/25 with 100bb effective stacks I need 50 buy ins which 50* 25= 1250
      However I play in the 6 max deep games 5/10 with 0.02 antes
      it is 250 bb deep so I buy in for 25 dollars total.
      Do you I need again 50 buy ins for this game and correspondingly
      50* 25= 1250 again bankroll ?
      Or I can play with smaller bankrol as the money goes in more rare as they do in 10/25 game with 100 bb only ?
      Besides many of the players in these deep stack games don't buy in for the maximum.
      What is your opinion on that do I need 1250 dollars to play 5/10 with antes or I can do with a smaller bankroll ?
      If so please let me know what should be an appropriate bankroll for this.
    • EuanM
      EuanM
      Bronze
      Hey vanyamerilym,

Good to hear from you again!

I couldn't make a recommendation here. It really depends on how comfortable you feel. With PLO, you need to have many more Buy-ins behind as variance is vastly increased.

If .10/.25, 100 BB is a £1250 bankroll, then I don't mind using such a bankroll for an ante game of lower stakes, as we have the ante, there will be more swings in terms of expected value so I think this is absolutely fine.

Bankroll issues, in my opinion, are not present when you have more than enough bankroll. It's only when we do not have enough to sustain ourselves in terms of variance, that problems begin to occur.

I guess the best way to calculate would be to include the ante's as blinds, so if you play .05/.10/.02, let's say you have just over 1 additional Big blind to pay per orbit approx.

So instead of using a bankroll for PLO10, I would use one for PLO20, say £1000 is a good enough amount to play .05/.10 / .02. So even £1250 is a nice 25% cushion on the recommendation, so I would even just stick with £1250 as a bankroll, or £1000 at the very minimum.

Overall, it's important to play where you are comfortable.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you need any more help!

Have a nice evening!

-Euan
    • vanyamerilym
      vanyamerilym
      Bronze
      Thank you
      I just needed an opinion from somebody who has more experience.
      And actually nothing was written when I play deep. There was some information for the live play with a bring in but no recommendation for a deep stacked game.
      So you've helped me a lot
      Thank you
    • EuanM
      EuanM
      Bronze
      Fantastic, good luck at the tables!

Let us know if we can offer you any more advice!

-Euan