Which books should I read to suck less at NL100+

• fuzzyfish
      fuzzyfish
      Bronze
      Hello,

I have been playing poker for almost 2 years now. Somehow I managed to donk my way to NL100 and NL200, however I'm a slight loser and only rakeback keeps me on the surface. While playing I can't help to notice I suck. I mostly suck:

by playing badly from blinds and misestimating stealers range;
      by making hopeless bluffs, because I "he can't fold if I don't bet";
      by making hopeless calls, because "he's range is polarized";
      by overplaying my hands because "he's on a draw".

This fact that I suck is also apparent to my opponents who often won't hold it to themselves. And I don't blame them. Of course you could say that the last 3 aspects are pretty easy to fix by playing nittier. Not really, I don't think nitty play is a solution against thinking opponents. When ever I start play nittier, my redline takes a nosedive and my opponents start beating the hell out of me, while I don't get any action when I finally do have an actual hand. I guess that's the problem all nitty players face. And that's a miserable life. I don't want that. I guess the only solution is becoming better hand reader and picking better spots to bluff and call down. But that's not an easy task.

I feel like I benefit from reading books more than from watching videos, since live play videos often teach to play a certain style, whereas books give more compreshensive theoretical basis. So far I have read:

Poker mindset - a must read, but no technical stuff

Small stakes holdem (Ed miller) - excellent book, but I want MOAR!

Poker blueprint - reading it right now but I'm not sure whether I'll finish it, because it seems to be rather basic and more focused on NL100 than limits above that

Mental game of poker - good book, although I have to work harder to apply it better :)

So maybe someone can recommend some more good strategy books that are oriented to NL200+, creative aggressive play etc. Less ABC TAG stuff.
  • 17 replies
    • 1984ioc
      1984ioc
      Bronze
      Have you got coaching yet fuzzy?If you haven't yet then now would be a great time to invest some of your roll in it.I have read a few comments by people here that their results improved dramatically at those levels after a bit of coaching from TwiceT or other good coaches.It might seem alot of money at the time for a few hours coaching but long term it is a great investment.

Books cover the general things but a coach will cater to your paticular needs and leaks so you should start thinking about that if you wanna make another step up.

Good luck anyway whatever you decide
    • fuzzyfish
      fuzzyfish
      Bronze
      I've thought about it and probably at some point of time I'll get some coaching. However right now I feel like I have so many basic leaks that I should be able to plug on my own. I'm afraid a good coach would just be facepalming throughout the session when looking at my play :)

Anyways, I feel like I can't help making donky moves at the table, even though later when I analyze my hands I see that I played badly. Maybe it's some vicious accumulated tilt, I don't know.
    • MatejM47
      MatejM47
      Black
      Coaching is definitly the best way to go, or at least it was for me. If you can afford a good coach you definitly should.

As for the books The mental game of poker by jared tendler is really good if you have mindset issues. I havent read any of the game strategy books but they are mostly outdated.

You seem to have a problem over thinking things and think you opponents think on your level while their likely just playing their ABC game. To beat those limits you dont have to play like a nit, you just have to play solid and don't spew around. You say you call down because their range is polarazied, which is probably true, but what you have to consider is their bluffing frequency.

I think folding every time you get c/r on the turn or river or overbet shoved on the river you can pretty much fold with out thinking twice. Most people on this limts just don't have it in them to jam the river as a bluff so unless you have specific reads that a player is agro enough and capable of running big bluffs then just fold every time and don't worry about being bluffed one out of 20 times or what ever their frequency might be.

You just have to play your A game as much as possible with as little tilt as possible. The edges in todays games are small and if your a 5bb winner means that spewing off 1 BI every 2k hands by making a dumb river call or hopless bluff you get from 5bb winner to 0bb rakeback grinder.
    • fuzzyfish
      fuzzyfish
      Bronze
      Yes, you are probably right. Maybe it's more a mindset problem. Whenever things are not going my way I get fancy and start forcing action to get even and heal my ego. Basically it's a kind of mild permatilt. Hard to spot it - and to admit it.
    • thazar
      thazar
      Bronze
      IMO the theory of NLHE is relatively easy. Yes we pick up little things here and there while reading articles and reading books. The difficulty of poker is that it is so situational. That's why I think coaching > all.
    • conall88
      conall88
      Bronze
      Let there be range by Cole South and Tri Nguyen is a definate read.

Also of interest is Easy game by BalugaWhale.

but, let there be range is probably the most useful of the two. There are a few nice chaps in easy game tho.
    • conall88
      conall88
      Bronze
      Originally posted by thazar
      IMO the theory of NLHE is relatively easy. Yes we pick up little things here and there while reading articles and reading books. The difficulty of poker is that it is so situational. That's why I think coaching > all.
      the problem is its hard to get feedback on a good coach. You hardly see scoring systems for coaches online. And then again, if you do implement a form of self regulation, not even the players will know most of the time :)
    • Xeonz123
      Xeonz123
      Bronze
      Supersystem Classic.
    • furculision
      furculision
      Bronze
      Originally posted by conall88
      doesn't that price around 999 million dollars?
    • JimmyChances
      JimmyChances
      Bronze
      Supersystem will be a complete waste of money to you.
      Harrington on 6 max online cash games will be much more useful.
      The small stakes hold em is an excellent read by Ed Miller.
      Professional No Limit Hold Em - Ed Miller will help you make plans for your hand.
    • fuzzyfish
      fuzzyfish
      Bronze
      Originally posted by furculision
      Originally posted by conall88
      doesn't that price around 999 million dollars?
      Yes, this one's got a serious price tag. The cheapest one is available for $600 of so I believe. Seems a bit much right now, maybe I'll buy one when moving to NL400 :D (no harm in dreaming).
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      Or just steal it like everyone else does
    • furculision
      furculision
      Bronze
      Originally posted by NightFrostaSS
      Did you?
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      Did you?
      I will never admit that
    • martiangoblin
      martiangoblin
      Bronze
      Anytime im having trouble with the basics, i always refer back to Phil Gordons Little Green Book.

It is a lot of broad theory coupled with basic psychology, but im always amazed at how often i have to go back to the basics when my game starts slipping.
    • furculision
      furculision
      Bronze
      Did you?
      I will never admit that
      Funny how saying that actually proves it's true.Because you're saying "i'll never admit that",meaning "i stole it,but i'll never admit it".Anyway,good job,that sucker had it coming.Buying shit wit yo maney is fo pussies.
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      Did you?
      I will never admit that
      Funny how saying that actually proves it's true.Because you're saying "i'll never admit that",meaning "i stole it,but i'll never admit it".Anyway,good job,that sucker had it coming.Buying shit wit yo maney is fo pussies.
      That's why I said it in such way. :f_biggrin: