Deciding between FR and SH

• Slurpee
      Slurpee
      Bronze
      Well I have been playing mostly SH (85% of total hands i'd say).

i experience better profit on FR and a lot more variance on SH (i only play 5NL right now until i can grind up a bankroll).

I've been told it's better to play SH tables because you will be more skilled after playing on SH for a long time.

so can anyone explain which is better to play and why? or is it just a personal choice.
  • 4 replies
    • UTGDog
      UTGDog
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Slurpee
      Well I have been playing mostly SH (85% of total hands i'd say).

i experience better profit on FR and a lot more variance on SH (i only play 5NL right now until i can grind up a bankroll).

I've been told it's better to play SH tables because you will be more skilled after playing on SH for a long time.

so can anyone explain which is better to play and why? or is it just a personal choice.
      A little from column A; a little from column B. Since you stated you are trying to grind out a profitable bankroll, I would keep grinding out FR table since it is where you claim you are most profitable.

SH tables are great for learning how to read your opponents and honing your post-flop skills but, due to the variance of the game, you could be putting your bankroll at risk if you aren't showing a profit from SH play.

It's really up to you where you decide to invest your money. Just treat the game like any other investment and look at investment vs return before making a solid decision. I would hate to see you lose your bankroll on tables you aren't as successful playing. Whichever table you decide to play, just make sure you come prepared with a good understanding of how you should be adjusting your strategy and you should do just fine.

KNOWLEDGE = POWER
    • SPeedFANat1c
      SPeedFANat1c
      Gold
      How many hands are those 15% on full ring?

I would suggest you care more on improving. I Then you will have better edge and you bankroll will grow faster anyway. I know, its boring to study, its more fun to play :)
      I can tell you my story. I wasn't studying much, and playing NL10. Grinded a bankroll for NL20, but at very low winrate, maybe 2bb/100 + rakeback helped make it faster. And guess what happened? I lost much money on NL20. Then found the places where I have to improve. So whats the point even if you hav a bandkrol for higher limit if you are not prepared to play it. Now I will have to grind again to get back to NL20, but now I have a list of things what I have to learn while reaching that limit. Will see what happens. No time currently to study, because I have to study job related things. How to find enough time :/

The problem is I lost much time by grinding at low winrate, which I could invest in studying and be prepared better for next limit. And the better winrate would compenssate the lack of volume. Lets say if you win 6bb instead of 2 bb/100, its 3 times faster, you need 3 times less volume to make the same ammount. And I will still loose much of it and will make only few buks at those low limits. But thats the reality.

Yeah but its easier said than done what I said :)
    • Alvan85
      Alvan85
      Bronze
      I have been trying to decide for myself for some time and the answer I finally came up with was that I should play what I think is most enjoyable.

Personally I love the action at the SH-tables..
      FR is more about who has the best cards while SH is more about outplaying your opponent, finding out his strengths/weaknesses and use that against him.
    • UTGDog
      UTGDog
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Alvan85
      I have been trying to decide for myself for some time and the answer I finally came up with was that I should play what I think is most enjoyable.

Personally I love the action at the SH-tables..
      FR is more about who has the best cards while SH is more about outplaying your opponent, finding out his strengths/weaknesses and use that against him.
      Then to make the game even more enjoyable, and yet keeping you successful, maybe put in time at studying the SH strategy to limit your losses.

It's great that you've found what type of game you want to play, now all you need is some further knowledge and you should be storming the SH lower limits in no time.

Good luck and...