Getting Staked ...Why players do it?

• JBCD71
      JBCD71
      Global
      I recently been interested in this getting staked.But honestly would never do it for one reason and 1 reason only.Its a bad idea and can get you in a big hole you wont climb out of,for example Chino Rheem probablly runs thru players minds when this comes up cause of his owing of people or other players money .I also recently read about a blog Twice T wrote in regards to a friend owing him money from getting staked.I wonder how do you get staked? Do you fill out a form or application?Is their interest on it? Is it just a hand shake and verbal agreement? Is there a payment plan in the contract? I guess theres alot of questions here for me,and i hope someone can reply and let me know to cure my curiousity and maybe other players also.Oh yeah 1 more question..have any pro s get staked on their way up the ranks also and who are they?.....Hope some has some answers.Take care JBCD71
  • 4 replies
    • dogma18
      dogma18
      Bronze
      i agree, staking is only good if the stakee is a winnning player, even then the questions asked, why should he need staked if he is a winner..i guess staking is good only for tournaments where the stakee is a winning online tournament player and is looking to play the wsop or pca.,. other than that any player wanting a stake should probz be a high stakes reg looking to reduce variance
    • chenny8888
      chenny8888
      Bronze
      Chino Rheem borrowed money to play poker afaik which is way different to staking. If you get staked it can be either for a fixed time period (eliminating the possibility of getting into a deep hole) or until player gets out of makeup. If the player is good and profitable the latter is pretty unlikely as well.

In either case though the player is never liable for any losses from poker, so chances of scamming etc goes down.

For me personally getting staked is amazing (I'm currently not staked but I have been for most of my live tournament career). This is because i'm able to use a lot of money i'd otherwise set aside for my poker bankroll for other things (for example i own an investment property at the moment). being staked also allows me to play higher than i would otherwise be able to play without being scared of the money considerations. So far I've played a total of 2 10k buyin tournaments as well as 2 5k USD tournaments. If I wasn't staked/didn't sell action i'd need to have around 100 buyins at the minimum (and 100 buyin downswings are not unheard of in big field MTTs!) to be truly comfortable and my bankroll is simply not big enough.
    • bringmecards
      bringmecards
      Bronze
      I personally belive getting staked is a good way to prove urself at the tables and also find a long term baker that u and that person have a trustworthy relationship staking can be fun and I also feel U play better with a stake cause u want to prove urself
    • Xeonz123
      Xeonz123
      Bronze
      Lack of funds being the obvious reason.