less Math??

    • RDKNAUF91
      RDKNAUF91
      Bronze
      Joined: 20.07.2010 Posts: 219
      Hi I have question?

      Where is less Math needed......in CASH GAMES our Sit&Go??

      It think in Cash games especially when you play deep stacked because i think when you play sit&gos especially in late phase its all about ICM and pushing ranges.

      Right? :)
  • 18 replies
    • pleno1
      pleno1
      Coach
      Coach
      Joined: 19.11.2010 Posts: 5,596
      Hey RDKNAUF91,

      I'm going to move your thread to the beginners section where it belongs. We have experts there who are willing to answer all of your questions and alot of our players improve enormously from fizzy and her team.

      Back to the question, the deeper you get the less maths is important (pre flop) immediate maths becomes less relevant and we focus more on IMPLIED ODDS. An example of this is..

      Player A raises from UTG
      Player B is in the cut off with pocket 6's.

      If they are 40bbs deep he should fold his pocket 6's because he will fold alot after the flop vs a good range from UTG who will come out firing after the flop. However if they are 200bbs deep then although he will still fold as much on the flop he will win more money when he hits his 6 meaning that his IMPLIED ODDS are greater.

      Hope this answers your question and you don't mind that I moved your thread.

      Thanks
      Patrick
    • RDKNAUF91
      RDKNAUF91
      Bronze
      Joined: 20.07.2010 Posts: 219
      Originally posted by pleno1
      Hey RDKNAUF91,

      I'm going to move your thread to the beginners section where it belongs. We have experts there who are willing to answer all of your questions and alot of our players improve enormously from fizzy and her team.

      Back to the question, the deeper you get the less maths is important (pre flop) immediate maths becomes less relevant and we focus more on IMPLIED ODDS. An example of this is..

      Player A raises from UTG
      Player B is in the cut off with pocket 6's.

      If they are 40bbs deep he should fold his pocket 6's because he will fold alot after the flop vs a good range from UTG who will come out firing after the flop. However if they are 200bbs deep then although he will still fold as much on the flop he will win more money when he hits his 6 meaning that his IMPLIED ODDS are greater.

      Hope this answers your question and you don't mind that I moved your thread.

      Thanks
      Patrick
      No i don't mind :)
      Then Tournaments and Sit&go have more math needed than the Cash games?? :f_biggrin:
    • pleno1
      pleno1
      Coach
      Coach
      Joined: 19.11.2010 Posts: 5,596
      Hey,

      Glad you found us.

      Indeed SNG's are more math orientated than cash games. But alot of cash game dynamics are built on adjustments from studying statistics and frequencies. I.e if there is a guy who is keep 3betting your c/o raise from the button then you would adjust by widening your 4b/call range. This can be done by either watching the table and getting a feel or using a HUD.

      Thanks
      Patrick
    • Xeonz123
      Xeonz123
      Bronze
      Joined: 22.08.2011 Posts: 264
      Cash games for sure. Sit and Go gets to the point of Shove or Fold
    • RDKNAUF91
      RDKNAUF91
      Bronze
      Joined: 20.07.2010 Posts: 219
      Originally posted by pleno1
      Hey,

      Glad you found us.

      Indeed SNG's are more math orientated than cash games. But alot of cash game dynamics are built on adjustments from studying statistics and frequencies. I.e if there is a guy who is keep 3betting your c/o raise from the button then you would adjust by widening your 4b/call range. This can be done by either watching the table and getting a feel or using a HUD.

      Thanks
      Patrick
      What you think about PLO vs NLH :) . PLO is all about draws and redraws ,decisions based on math but on other hand its almoust impossible to know your equity in given situation because its hard to put villain on range.So I think PLO is more of a feeling game than NLH...???
    • musashi87
      musashi87
      Gold
      Joined: 14.03.2008 Posts: 11,847
      Originally posted by RDKNAUF91
      Originally posted by pleno1
      Hey,

      Glad you found us.

      Indeed SNG's are more math orientated than cash games. But alot of cash game dynamics are built on adjustments from studying statistics and frequencies. I.e if there is a guy who is keep 3betting your c/o raise from the button then you would adjust by widening your 4b/call range. This can be done by either watching the table and getting a feel or using a HUD.

      Thanks
      Patrick
      What you think about PLO vs NLH :) . PLO is all about draws and redraws ,decisions based on math but on other hand its almoust impossible to know your equity in given situation because its hard to put villain on range.So I think PLO is more of a feeling game than NLH...???
      U forget about sth. Pot odds play really important role in PLO as in almost all fixed limit/pot limit games.
    • RDKNAUF91
      RDKNAUF91
      Bronze
      Joined: 20.07.2010 Posts: 219

      U forget about sth. Pot odds play really important role in PLO as in almost all fixed limit/pot limit games.
      What is sth?? :D
    • slipkn6t
      slipkn6t
      Bronze
      Joined: 27.06.2011 Posts: 5,581
      Originally posted by RDKNAUF91

      U forget about sth. Pot odds play really important role in PLO as in almost all fixed limit/pot limit games.
      What is sth?? :D
      STH - Shrek The Halls!
    • musashi87
      musashi87
      Gold
      Joined: 14.03.2008 Posts: 11,847
      Originally posted by RDKNAUF91

      U forget about sth. Pot odds play really important role in PLO as in almost all fixed limit/pot limit games.
      What is sth?? :D
      http://acronyms.thefreedictionary.com/STH

      Guess which one I had on mind :f_confused:
    • purplefizz
      purplefizz
      Bronze
      Joined: 12.03.2008 Posts: 4,508
      :D

      very interesting question. i am not such a big fan of the maths myself so maybe i should have asked this question too long ago!

      thanks for all the input in here guys. :f_love:
      in my opinion, maths are more used in the Fixed limit formats bec they are always computing odds, i could be wrong though. :f_confused:

      sth = something! :D :D :D


      smiles,
      wendy
    • musashi87
      musashi87
      Gold
      Joined: 14.03.2008 Posts: 11,847
      Originally posted by purplefizz
      :D

      very interesting question. i am not such a big fan of the maths myself so maybe i should have asked this question too long ago!

      thanks for all the input in here guys. :f_love:
      in my opinion, maths are more used in the Fixed limit formats bec they are always computing odds, i could be wrong though. :f_confused:

      sth = something! :D :D :D


      smiles,
      wendy
      I confirm =]


      BTW
      Originally posted by musashi87
      Originally posted by purplefizz

      haai there musashi87! omg you have more than 7k posts! hang out more in the english community puhlleeeeez :f_love:
      Sure thing I will. Unless somebody starts whining about my english! :s_evil:
      Guess I should be goin' now :P
    • RDKNAUF91
      RDKNAUF91
      Bronze
      Joined: 20.07.2010 Posts: 219
      Originally posted by purplefizz
      :D

      very interesting question. i am not such a big fan of the maths myself so maybe i should have asked this question too long ago!


      I don't like math to :D

      So maybe someone here knows the answer :P
    • jbpatzer
      jbpatzer
      Bronze
      Joined: 22.11.2009 Posts: 6,944
      Maths! :D

      Hope that helped.
    • RDKNAUF91
      RDKNAUF91
      Bronze
      Joined: 20.07.2010 Posts: 219
      Originally posted by jbpatzer
      Maths! :D

      Hope that helped.
      Yea it helped a lot :D
    • musashi87
      musashi87
      Gold
      Joined: 14.03.2008 Posts: 11,847
      Stop moaning! Math is cewl! :s_cool:
      Said the one that have bachelors in math. :coolface:
    • jbpatzer
      jbpatzer
      Bronze
      Joined: 22.11.2009 Posts: 6,944
      Originally posted by RDKNAUF91
      Originally posted by jbpatzer
      Maths! :D

      Hope that helped.
      Yea it helped a lot :D
      Seriously, the ICM and pot odds stuff is fairly straightforward, but at the end of the day, it's all game theory.
    • purplefizz
      purplefizz
      Bronze
      Joined: 12.03.2008 Posts: 4,508
      musashi has a bachelor degree in maths
      jbpatzer is an esteemed university maths professor
      while i have a doctorate in getting massages and pedicures.

      i would listen to them. :coolface:

      but seriously, there is soo much more to poker than the math aspect. if it was down to maths alone, those guys would be the absolute rulers by now. and yet they are regular people like you and me :D (no offense guys, you know i :heart: you)
    • jbpatzer
      jbpatzer
      Bronze
      Joined: 22.11.2009 Posts: 6,944
      Lol at 'esteemed'. Just 'steamed' would probably be nearer the mark.