Still learning the ropes, years later...

• FruitNinja
      FruitNinja
      Silver
      Hello everyone, my name is Chill, I'd say a newbie to the Holdem Poker world, been playin 6 months now on-line. Below is my story on how I got hooked on On-line poker (for those who dare to read a long story ;( ).

In the past , me and the gang usually did play poker on Friday evenings for fun. We played the standard fun games like "follow the bitch", "midnight baseball" "stud" and the other hilarious games we invented as we drank more beers (imagine mixing UNO rules with poker! ?( ). At one time another friend introduced us to Holdem and everyone seemed excited at first. However, playing tournament style with just 1 winner did not appeal to most of the guys, who would be when all you have to do when you're booted out is to just keep on chugging the beer and wait til the heads-up is over, no fun in that eh? So Holdem eventually went away.

Then about a year ago, I got introduced into what a Facebook is :) and eventually a friend mentions there is a Holdem apps over there, nice to play. Hesitantly, I tried, and what do you know, starting with 500 chips goes to 10K. Ok, keep on playing for couple of weeks... then 100k, this IS fun..... then.........bust start all over again. Slowly buildup from 100 then after several months into the millions wow! Imagine if this is real monies now hahaha. Maybe try the real one, hmmmm interesting idea. At this stage I was wondering why the players usually chat me the words, noob, fish, :f_biggrin: donk. I sometimes end up making a player very very angry :evil: .

So comes April of year 2011 and decided to open up a real account this time. Started looking for which sites can be accessed in the Philippines and found a couple, it says Pokerstars and Fulltilt. Now which one? Got to research some more.... and then come last week of April, boom! Black Friday! What the? Now I wanna play and this? Oh, wait a minute this site is still open, ah, got it, closed for US players only, goodie, I can still open. Ok let's open one at this cool site, it says FullTilt. :D

At about the same time I also wanted to add a bit of strategy to my poker plays so typed Poker strategy at search engine and voila! A lot of articles at PokerStrategy.com Wow this is a good site, ok, ok, register as a member and keep on reading. Ah, so that's what those things are called Overpair hmmm many things to learn here. Unfortunately, read a little and played a lot, not too keen on BRM and after 3 weeks, you know how it goes, busto. Deposit again and read some more and be more carefull next time, go down one notch in limit. And now the BR steadily climbs 50% more, good, good! Here comes the next boom, FullTilt closed down by gaming commission. Grrrr! X(

So deposit is tied up, what to do next? I know, this site which gives a $50 for passing a quiz, is it true? just try it. After 2 tries, yeey passed and yes it is true!. Onto another site, let's try ParytPoker this time. No BRM, no starting capital very quickly, sad. So starts a vicious cycle of Deposit-bust Deposit bust until today where I only am hanging again with an almost busted amount but still playable, but now applying BRM and playing it at NL2 for the first time..

An advice to new on-line players that have playmoney experience only and starting out like me. Try and learn from NL2, it's a cheaper tuition fee of learning the basics and finding out for example that your top pair 10 is beat by villain's overpair QQ hole cards. And in addition, learn from this awesome site Pokerstrategy.com :s_thumbsup:

Have a nice day everyone! :P
  • 127 replies
    • YinYangS
      YinYangS
      Bronze
      ohhh, a fellow Pinoy! i'll sign up on your thread

good luck on the tables!! :)
    • neljun
      neljun
      Bronze
      Welcome!!!!!!
    • purplefizz
      purplefizz
      Bronze
      hi Chill,

that's an awesome name. that's what i called my grade school best friend :D you wouldnt happen to be a girl, would you? :s_evil:

anyway, warmest welcome to our community! i see our fellow kababayans have already come out and greeted you :)

looks like you learned the hard way how important BRM is. it is really a vital part to master in becoming a successful poker player.

anyway good luck in your journey and hope to see lOTS and LOTS of you posting around here.

smiles,
      wendy
    • FruitNinja
      FruitNinja
      Silver
      Originally posted by neljun
      Welcome!!!!!!
      Hi neljun,

Thanks for the welcome.

regards,
      Chill
    • FruitNinja
      FruitNinja
      Silver
      Originally posted by YinYangS
      ohhh, a fellow Pinoy! i'll sign up on your thread

good luck on the tables!! :)
      Hi YinYangS,

Yes kabayan another one. Thanks for the GL, I need tons of those! :D
      GL and GG too!

Chill
    • FruitNinja
      FruitNinja
      Silver
      Originally posted by purplefizz
      hi Chill,

that's an awesome name. that's what i called my grade school best friend :D you wouldnt happen to be a girl, would you? :s_evil:

anyway, warmest welcome to our community! i see our fellow kababayans have already come out and greeted you :)

looks like you learned the hard way how important BRM is. it is really a vital part to master in becoming a successful poker player.

anyway good luck in your journey and hope to see lOTS and LOTS of you posting around here.

smiles,
      wendy
      Hi Wendy,

Yep BRM is simple but difficult to implement for some people, but am glad I realize it now.

On the name Chill, yeah a cool name thanks, but am surely not your classmate before. For one, I'm a guy :) .... and another, I could have well been into college already while you were in grade school, wheeew that was a long time ago!

Thanks to the GL wish on my poker journey. I know am just at the starting line for this poker marathon. I hope my game improves as I move along (fingers crossed plus toes crossed too!)

regards,
      Chill
    • purplefizz
      purplefizz
      Bronze
      reaaallly... how old are you? :D

if you wanna start from scratch, you could try the beginner's course (link is in my sig). at least a coach will guide you through all the articles you should have read already :)
    • FruitNinja
      FruitNinja
      Silver
      reaaallly... how old are you? :D

if you wanna start from scratch, you could try the beginner's course (link is in my sig). at least a coach will guide you through all the articles you should have read already :)

Hey Wendy,

If they still call you a boy, you are not that old are you? Yeah nowadays they refer to me as the "Golden Boy" hahaha :D . Oh well I do hope that that won't be a factor in my learning the game, hehe, we'll see....

Yep, will probably give the beginners course a try in the near future (if they accept 50 year old beginners :rolleyes: hahaha ).

thanks,
      Chill
    • jbpatzer
      jbpatzer
      Bronze
      Oooooo! Old bloke alert! The more the merrier. Hello. :D
    • pleno1
      pleno1
      Coach
      Coach
      Hey Chill,

You offically have the coolest name on the planet.

Thanks
      Patrick
    • FruitNinja
      FruitNinja
      Silver
      Hi JB,

With you around, at least I feel at home :D
      Looks like we're at the same boat. I have a day job too (as an Engineer) get to play poker only after dinner on weekdays, weekends mostly spent with the family morning till afternoon, and night as usual some poker. I've got 2 kids, a 16 yo girl and an 11 yo boy. Got 1 missus (Ha! as if 2 was an option). I've read most of your blog and it's just amazing how you can juggle family time, teaching time and poker time effectively, congratulations. Will read some more...

Hi Patrick,

Actually I'm 50% Chinese (upper body Chinese, lower body Filipino :D kidding...) and Chill was derived from my chinese name Chen Long.Thanks for declaring it the coolest name in the planet! I hope your challenge and tips on playing without a hud gain some grounds soon,that would help players from a different perspective I bet.

regards,
      Chill
    • purplefizz
      purplefizz
      Bronze
      2 golden boys in this thread! :D (although for different reasons i presume. why ARE you called golden boy, patrick?)

jb is amazing isnt he? i am sure you can do it too Chill!
      you seem quite modern and up to date though. i assume FruitNinja is your favorite game? jb do you know what that is? :s_evil:

btw where in the Philippines are you from? and what kind of Engineer?
    • FruitNinja
      FruitNinja
      Silver
      2 golden boys in this thread! :D (although for different reasons i presume. why ARE you called golden boy, patrick?)

you seem quite modern and up to date though. i assume FruitNinja is your favorite game? jb do you know what that is? :s_evil:

HI Wendy,

I'm originally from Baguio (am sure you know that "cool" place where air-conditioning is centralized =) ), but moved to Dasmarinas Cavite about 12 yrs now due to work opportunities. I'm a Mechanical Engineer geared towards design works using Autocad mainly (one of the common design tools). I've been working with the Semiconductor industry ever since. How about you, which city are you in?

You guessed it right! Swoosh! swoosh! swooh! FruitNinja yaaah! Love it, sort of a stress relief thing. Strike 3 fruits together (trips :) ), 5 fruits (full-house :D ) hit the bomb (bad beat X( -tilt- start over again ). Plant's vs Zoombies, Angry birds, played those too usually with the kids.

regards,
      Chill
    • jbpatzer
      jbpatzer
      Bronze

Lol. Mrsjb probably isn't so amazed. It's easy to play lots of poker when your entire social life has shifted online.

FruitNinja? Some video game? Don't know, don't care. :f_mad: But I do like Angry Birds.
    • purplefizz
      purplefizz
      Bronze
      ofc i know Baguio and have been there several times. central airconditioning indeed! i love the strawberries and horseback riding there. :D i am from QC.

i know what Autocad is because i live with an architect. i can't imagine the things you design though. sounds pretty cool.

jb: any social life is better than none. i know this guy who locked himself in his basement for 2 months due to mental imbalances. mr. fizz deems this appropriate rockstar behavior and now thinks they should start a band together :facepalm:

so how is poker going Chill? did you start the course yet? what room are you grinding in?
    • FruitNinja
      FruitNinja
      Silver
      Hi Wendy,

Yeah horsebackriding, I hope you got to ride the horse with the pink mane, hehe. Oh I just design small mechanical parts of equipment, fixtures or the sorts. Occasionally I program the autocad to run by itself, shortcuts for the lazy :D

Got accounts at PokerStars and PP. Poker nowadays is very much at the busto vicinity, cents remaining :( I'm putting a challenge on myself on not depositing immediately in such cases, that was my easy out which made me even more careless at this stage.

Playing NL2 FL at PP, still alive. Not so lucky at Stars, can not even play NL2. Just playing FPP tourneys and the APL leaderboard tourney. Having some success there (10 cents, 15 cents....) just to avoid the dreaded zero balance. Trying to see how long I can sustain it without depositing.

Actually, :D I almost deposited last Sunday evening but let it hold for the next day. Un-lucky me I lost my wallet sunday evening!!! slipped out of my shallow pocket probably. What a Monday morning all prepared to go to work only to find out NO WALLET! Of course panic crept in, had to take monday off to coordinate blocking of my bank cards and credit cards! Not much cash in there so not much of a problem. Re-applying for a driver's license, you 'll need an affidavit for that. So monday night comes and I decided to deposit only to remember credit card is already blocked (aaahh!). Anyway that sort of helped me in my challenge of not depositing :P . Though I'll be getting my credit card in a couple of days soooo.....

Still making up my mind on the beginner course, might take it eventually come the holidays.

regards all,
      Chill
    • purplefizz
      purplefizz
      Bronze
      yes, to my dismay, i've ridden the darned rainbow unicorn. there's pics in my blog somewhere. :O

yikes! what a bad beat losing your wallet. such a giant hassle.

gl with your challenge! why don't you start a blog here? Blog Section
    • jbpatzer
      jbpatzer
      Bronze
      yes, to my dismay, i've ridden the darned rainbow unicorn. there's pics in my blog somewhere. :O

I thought this was already in the blog section! Can't you just move it there o great efficient moderatrix?
    • purplefizz
      purplefizz
      Bronze
      Originally posted by jbpatzer

I thought this was already in the blog section! Can't you just move it there o great efficient moderatrix?
      hmm i guess i could seeing as how it reads like a blog anyway :f_biggrin:
      i will await approval of the Big Chill himself.

moderatrix, nice touch :D