Final table heads-up strategy??

• darkonebg
      darkonebg
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Ok, here's the deal...
      Lately i get to the final table of large tournaments (100+ players) quite often, but i most often finish second(even when i have like a 2-3:1 chiplead. All i know about heads-up is that hand value goes way up and the most aggressive player usually takes the pot, although all i see looks like some terrible suckouts, there must be something i do wrong. We are ofc speaking of pretty late tournament stage, with both of us having 10-20 times the BB, but i dont like my heads-up in general.Does PS plan to come up with some articles in the future? :P
  • 4 replies
    • chenny8888
      chenny8888
      Bronze
      @10BB, it is correct to go all-in with just over the top 50% of all hands.. regardless of how loose he likes to call you.

not really an intuitive thing to do, so i'd imagine you're playing too tight.
    • roshe40
      roshe40
      Bronze
      Often the cards decide things heads up when the blinds get very high, but there are a couple of key adjustments you can make here. These are based on how tight or aggressive your opponent appears to be playing the first few hands of your heads up encounter.

It is generally a mistake to fold too much preflop in these situations. So if your opponent shows any indication that he is waiting for a hand, be willing to move in on him with any two cards every hand. Since pocket pairs are rare hands to pick up on a regular basis, you should assume that you are dealing with an opponent with unpaired cards most of the time. Even the weakest unpaired hand of 3-2 going up against the strongest unpaired hand of A-K is not much more than a 2 to 1 dog, and you will often be moving with one or both cards higher than your opponent's lowest card, making you even less of a dog if you are called. By adding a chip lead and folding equity to these holdings, you are actually a small favourite!

On the other hand, if your opponent is already playing hyperaggressively himself, make sure that you do not wait too long to call him down. Just make sure in this case you have at least one high card if possible, since showdowns are not avoidable in this case. You would prefer to have at least a K or Q high holding when you or being force to call here. That will at least give the edge if both of you make a pair or neither of you do.
    • darkonebg
      darkonebg
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Thanks for the advices, but my problem still isnt solved..
      I dont think my problem is the lack of agression, and still, just finished a 180 player SnG in guess what position - Second....
      I got my money in with JQs vs A3 and lost, later with K9 vs 87s and lost....cards or ?
    • chenny8888
      chenny8888
      Bronze
      probably still playing too tight. if you want to, save a txt file of a heads up session and upload somewhere. i'll have a look.